Home

Bullet casting PID

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Bullet casting PID - 05/08/22 10:24 PM

Finally got this little do hickey I bought off a fell a while ago up and running on my pot. It's called a PID and basically all it is is a temp controller deal. Plugs into the wall and the pot plugs into it it monitors the temperature of the lead with a probe. I just set it tow whatever temp I wanna keep it at and it will basically keep it there within 1-3 degress + or - . Sure makes casting a little easier especially since my pots temp controller dosent seem to work thing would go to 900+ degrees and just keep climbing all the time. Made it a little bit of a pain trying. To keep it stable
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MJM

Re: Bullet casting PID - 05/08/22 11:28 PM

I never molded any bullets, but I have done sinkers, jigs and duck decoy weights. I never cared if what I was molding wasn't prefect, Does it matter if a sinker or jig is a little light? I am sure that would be a big plus molding bullets.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Bullet casting PID - 05/09/22 02:09 PM

Have you noticed that your alloy and bullets are dropping more consistently? I've thought about adding a PID to my pot. I think the temp swing that happens after the heating elements turn off and before they come back on are detrimental to more precise casting. I'm still pretty new to casting, but having a PID would really help to dial in a more accurate temp.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Bullet casting PID - 05/09/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Have you noticed that your alloy and bullets are dropping more consistently? I've thought about adding a PID to my pot. I think the temp swing that happens after the heating elements turn off and before they come back on are detrimental to more precise casting. I'm still pretty new to casting, but having a PID would really help to dial in a more accurate temp.

I've only been playing around with it the last few days just piddling around but I can assure you my boolits have Ben much nicer ! The next thing I'm going to invest in is a lazer thermometer for checking my mold temp and some better alloy. What caliber you casting for ?
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Bullet casting PID - 05/09/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

I've only been playing around with it the last few days just piddling around but I can assure you my boolits have Ben much nicer ! The next thing I'm going to invest in is a lazer thermometer for checking my mold temp and some better alloy. What caliber you casting for ?

A laser thermometer is on my list to get one of these days as well. So far I just cast for a 30-06, 30-30, and 9mm.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums