Home

Rich Strike for the WIN

Posted By: il.trapper

Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/08/22 11:29 PM

Didn't even realize the Derby was being ran yesterday till just a few minutes before it started. Wasn't able to watch anything about till today. Heck of race!!! One of, if not the best, ride by a jockey I can ever recall. He had the horse under him and knowed how to handle him.

I love a "little guy" won. Trainer seems to be a very humble guy to.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/08/22 11:56 PM

There are people that made big coin on that horse. It was an awesome come from behind, low odds win!

Not sure if you saw the ride after the race but that horse has head issues. It was trying to bite the pony horse…big time! I don’t follow horse breeding and don’t know the pedigree behind Rich Strike…and even if I did, I’d have no clue about the performance of the ancestors. However, I do breed working hounds. You tend to find outlier habits like that in high performing animals. I make it a point to not double up on the displayed behavior…but nevertheless, it is a recessive gene that can only be monitored by someone who’s intimately familiar with the cross before it’s made.

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:08 AM

In one interview I watched today the trainer said Rich strike is actually a really "kind" horse. Not aggressive toward to other horses. He did say he had just found his "killer instinct" just a few weeks ago. Meaning he didn't like being beat and would go all out to get ahead of another horse.

That is what he thinks he was doing when he got after the pony horse.

I have seen horses like that myself. From speed horses to trail horses. Some just can't stand to have another horse in front of them.

I have seen hounds do the same thing. Some can't stand to have another beat them on a trail. Some get aggressive about it, some don't. Some, maybe a lot, of Settum up Ace's line were rough dogs.
Posted By: corky

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:15 AM

At those odds I wish I would have asked jbyrd63 who to bet on.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
In one interview I watched today the trainer said Rich strike is actually a really "kind" horse. Not aggressive toward to other horses. He did say he had just found his "killer instinct" just a few weeks ago. Meaning he didn't like being beat and would go all out to get ahead of another horse.

That is what he thinks he was doing when he got after the pony horse.

I have seen horses like that myself. From speed horses to trail horses. Some just can't stand to have another horse in front of them.

I have seen hounds do the same thing. Some can't stand to have another beat them on a trail. Some get aggressive about it, some don't. Some, maybe a lot, of Settum up Ace's line were rough dogs.

From a hound breeding standpoint, the aggressive ones don’t get bred…EVER!
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:29 AM

He seemed pretty aggressive after the race. He kept biting the horse and rider that was leading him off track.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:54 AM

A good watch for sure !
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
He seemed pretty aggressive after the race. He kept biting the horse and rider that was leading him off track.

Drugs involved…yah think ? Iam sure they test the horse aftah the race…time will tell
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by corky

I'm wondering when his next buck will be killed laugh
And how many pics will be posted of it the next 100 years?
Posted By: TC1

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 02:45 AM

Don’t worry I’m sure he’ll be on here shortly telling us all how he “told us” Rich Strike would win and how dumb we all are for not believing or listening to him.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 03:04 AM

It's about $ and winning races they could really care less what the horses disposition is. And yes the horse racing industry is notorious for using performance enhancing drugs. They were one of the biggest lobbyist to stop the slaughter of horse in the United States. And it had nothing to do with the horses welfare its because they are scared of the drugs they use showing up in the meat.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:45 PM

grin
Me too
Posted By: danvee

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 12:53 PM

My sister picked him out of the line in a family bet no money involved, Im wondering how much money was wagered on that horse.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 01:22 PM

If I understand the situation, horse only got into the race a few days ago after another horse was scratched. Started far outside and was in last place at the start. Was 5th from last place going into final turn. Horse had the ability, but jockey won the race. Made 3 or 4 critical lane changes starting with most important one coming out of final turn........jumped to an open lane on the inside rail and passed a tight pack of about 10 horses in a span of about 10 strides. Last lane change from behind a slowing horse on the rail to an open lane to his right. That got him in the clear where he poured on the coal to pass them all. Horse had the ability, but jockey won the race.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 01:28 PM

It was fun to watch a horse that was not even in the race until the day before ,win it all .And he was pulling away from all the other horses as they crossed the finish line. That jockey did an excellent job of maneuvering through the horses as the race progressed .No matter what else he does or does not do he won the 2022 Kentucky Derby .
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 02:21 PM

That jockey rides at a track about 20 miles from my place . Lots of people on local TV talking about him . I would think some locals bet on him because of the connection . Hope they made a few bucks . I'm not into racing so I missed my chance .
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 05:49 PM

Yep I am so sorry I didn’t spread my knowledge with you guys ! But got tired of hearing the mouthing and name calling so your on your own
BUT I’ll share my bet with you so bucks and big mouth can stroke out !!! Lol
30 dollar total WPS on 5 horses I did aight

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seek

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 06:23 PM

I have watched the final stretch replay about a dozen times. An absolute history making moment in the Wide World of Sports and a great lesson for folks to seize the moment while you can.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/09/22 09:36 PM

What bucks and big mouth crickets ?????? Looks like I got a little over 900% profit from that investment !!!!!!

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/10/22 01:32 AM

Here is where you can really see just how well the jockey rode his mount.

Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/10/22 01:43 AM

Goosebumps stuff right there..
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/10/22 02:55 AM

That horse doubled his speed to pass the others so quickly.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Rich Strike for the WIN - 05/10/22 03:18 AM

Yeah, I’m not a horse guy at all, but that did give me goosebumps both times I’ve seen/heard it! Just an amazing burst. Happy trapping! ScottW
© 2024 Trapperman Forums