Home

Muzzleloader guys

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 02:10 AM

So was looking into paper patching cast bullets and came across this article
http://namlhunt.com/ml-paperpatch.html
Thought it was pretty cool. Any of you smoke pole loves have a setup like this ?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:07 AM

Nope. Strictly traditional, no optics.

smile Charlie
Posted By: Cascade Gina

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:16 AM

Wow never seen anything like that! I have a flintlock, love it.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Nope. Strictly traditional, no optics.

smile Charlie

X2
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Nope…just iron sights ..and a Rock lock
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

Nope…just iron sights ..and a Rock lock

Yep same here
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 04:36 AM

X3

I'll have to get some pictures of my new one, soon.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 08:41 AM

[Linked Image]

I have one of those scopes on a rifle but not a front stuffer, I have actually seen a few original muzzle loaders with such scopes that were used as sniper rifles in the civil war, and there are a few examples going back even further
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 11:01 AM

That’s a pretty rifle nightlife. 45-70?
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 11:18 AM

Just open irons with rock & steel here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 11:27 AM

Just open sights and a sharp rock. I can hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards with the new flintlock rifle, offhand. Plenty good for deer hunting in the woods here.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes only one sight (fowler).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 12:01 PM

We have a Flintlock Only season here in PA. I think we are one of the only state's that has this type of season.

Firearms must be made before 1800 or a replica of such a weapon. Telescopic sights prohibited.

I think you could use that during the general muzzleloader season though but not certain.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
We have a Flintlock Only season here in PA. I think we are one of the only state's that has this type of season.

Firearms must be made before 1800 or a replica of such a weapon. Telescopic sights prohibited.

I think you could use that during the general muzzleloader season though but not certain.

Is the 1800 date part of the law? There were a ton of flintlocks made post 1800, heck, the Golden Age was just getting ramped up then.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 01:16 PM

I play muzzle loader but I don't have a scope setup like that

I have played with modern optics on an inline and they can be very accurate

Ksnow I think they picked a politicians date meaning roughly when percussion became commonly available but certainly not when the technology was invented or first documented

inline rifles date back to about 1650 they just weren't common the technology was there however

clearly there is technology form much after 1800 going into many of the PA legal flinters
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 02:04 PM

I do not have a muzzle loader set up like that . Like many here I shot with iron sights back in the day . I bought my first muzzle loader back in 1960 . Muzzle loading was not a big thing back then . You could buy old ones cheap . Wish I had bought more . I do shoot with a scope like the one in your picture . I machined it out of a few pieces of rusty pipe . Bought the lenses off a surplus optics dealer in PA . Works great ,and was a joy to build . I learned a lot . [Linked Image] . I use it on my 22 rim fire Stevens . Fun to beat the modern target rifle shooters at the local offhand matches with it .Thrilled I can still win at near 80years old .
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ohiosnareman
I do not have a muzzle loader set up like that . Like many here I shot with iron sights back in the day . I bought my first muzzle loader back in 1960 . Muzzle loading was not a big thing back then . You could buy old ones cheap . Wish I had bought more . I do shoot with a scope like the one in your picture . I machined it out of a few pieces of rusty pipe . Bought the lenses off a surplus optics dealer in PA . Works great ,and was a joy to build . I learned a lot . [Linked Image] . I use it on my 22 rim fire Stevens . Fun to beat the modern target rifle shooters at the local offhand matches with it .Thrilled I can still win at near 80years old .

That's frikken awesome.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ohiosnareman

shocked shocked shocked !!!! I'm completely in love with that set up !!! Tell me is that Stevens stock like that ? Like is it a target model or is that all custom barely work and all ? Also you said you machined the scope ? Did you also nitrogen fill it ? If now how do you deal with fogging ? Also what are the turrets like ? You machine does as well ? They look like unteral.Whats the magnification?can you still buy a Stevens actin like that ? I absolutely love how it's basically I mink rolling block ( falling block ?) What's the barrel length and contour? And what can it do if shot off of bags ?

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

Is the 1800 date part of the law? There were a ton of flintlocks made post 1800, heck, the Golden Age was just getting ramped up then.

Yes, that is that is the way the regulation is written.

Big Game Regulations

Lawful Arms and Ammunition

Flintlock Season

"Flintlock ignition, single-barrel long guns manufactured prior to 1800, or a similar reproduction of an original muzzleloading single-barrel long gun 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using single projectile. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights."

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
clearly there is technology form much after 1800 going into many of the PA legal flinters

An interesting statement, please give examples.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:27 PM

An interesting statement, please give examples.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/PA-Pellet-Ultralight

well specifically I meant the PA pellet rifle a Gun made by traditions to be PA legal but fire pyrodex and 777 pellets it uses a kicker charge but with plastic stocks , the locks look 1800s but the internals of the breach plug are supposedly a newer tech to light off the pellets.

the other clear change was that music wire springs were not common pre 1800 but they would be quite common in modern locks they are hidden behind the plate from plain view.

also cerocoate and stainless , plastic sights , fiber optic sights

rubber but pads

so it is in the Spirit of 1800 but not really the strict detail

most triggers pre 1800 would also have been single set meaning you had to push the trigger forward to engage the sear most triggers put on muzzle loaders in the last 50 years have a trigger return spring gain music spring technology not flat springs common pre 1800

I don't see anything wrong with these things the spirit of the law is one barrel slow to reload but when you say nothing past 1800 and then guns have "modern" features and technologies that didn't exist in common practice before 1800 it is n't really the letter of the law is it.

the percussion cap being patented in 1807 does set the use of caps out of bounds and I think that was the real intent , force a pre 1800 based ignition system.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:38 PM

I'm pretty sure most of that would not be lawful in the flintlock season Pete. All of it is legal in the general muzzleloading season. There are two separate seasons here in PA.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 03:42 PM

I see where Traditions advertises that new group of rifles as "Traditions™ PA Pellet™ Ultralight just became a game changer for your Flintlock season!

But that doesn't make them legal weapons in PA's flintlock season.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 04:02 PM

I am reading about a number of people buying PA Pellet rifles to participate in PA late flinter season.

I can't find where there is any official ruling published but looking at pictures of some fairly new looking flint locks a Lyman deer stalker in 50cal also has adjustable fiber optic sights and music wire springs in the lock. https://www.lymanproducts.com/deerstalker-rifle

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 04:35 PM

It's deceptive advertising Pete. I don't think Traditions is too worried about hunters paying fines for using their PA Flintlock illegally. Selling them seems to be their priority.

I'm not certain about some of the features but I can tell you with absolute certainty that fiber optic sights are illegal during the Flintlock Season.

58 Pa. Code § 141.43. Deer seasons.

(b) Flintlock muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open or aperture sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 04:51 PM

they typically count fiber optic sights as open sights and honestly they give you no accuracy advantage over a good aperture sight and front blade , they just glow in low light

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 06:42 PM

Not here they don't, getting caught with fiber optics on your rock lock during flintlock season would almost certainly get you a fine.

It used to be called "the primitive season" and still is by some. The idea is that you are limited to 18th century technology. Some try to cheat but I like it the way it is. As I said above, PA is one of the only states with this type of season with these restrictions.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hanger
That’s a pretty rifle nightlife. 45-70?

Nope 50-90ST it’s a Shilo sharps shoots good to, got it used at my LGS a good many years ago, also have one of the uberti Billy Dixon models in 45-70 haven’t got to shoot it yet though

Really surprising just how far and how accurate they are until you try one and that’s with just a tang sight, add a scope and it becomes awesome, makes the many stories and legends about them and the men who shot them way more believable
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 08:20 PM

That’s awesome, I’m on the hunt for a 45/110. They have jumped in price like everything else. Just grabbed a pietta .45 Remington repo last week, found out he has a.31 that I may have to pick up as well.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 09:31 PM

Not here they don't, getting caught with fiber optics on your rock lock during flintlock season would almost certainly get you a fine.

It used to be called "the primitive season" and still is by some. The idea is that you are limited to 18th century technology. Some try to cheat but I like it the way it is. As I said above, PA is one of the only states with this type of season with these restrictions.

I wish we had a season like that. It would clear the woods of all the in line yaahooos

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 09:36 PM

Yeah, I don’t get the whole in-line thing. The way they build them today they’re pretty much like a centerfire rifle as far as accuracy and reliability. I just don’t understand the point.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 10:05 PM

I dont care what anybody but me uses to get deer meat. And my preference changes pretty regular. I have used pistols rifles crossbows bows and muzzle loaders. Enjoyed all of it. Somebody elses choice of a deer killing tool doesn't effect me at all.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/09/22 10:46 PM

Nessmuck,
What style is your flintlock and what caliber ?

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 12:10 AM

Yeah, I don’t get the whole in-line thing. The way they build them today they’re pretty much like a centerfire rifle as far as accuracy and reliability. I just don’t understand the point.

season extenders , they just want more days of deer hunting , they want to purchase whatever it is they need to spend more days hunting.

the new firestick deals are a perfect example of this

it is muzzle loading in that the projectile goes down the muzzle and in no other way because the powder charge is in a plastic case and enters from the breach
https://www.federalpremium.com/firestick.html

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Nessmuck,

JP McCoy...out of Nevada...45 cal .. green mountain barrel...Durs Egg lock

42 inch

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 12:19 AM

season extenders , they just want more days of deer hunting , they want to purchase whatever it is they need to spend more days hunting.

the new firestick deals are a perfect example of this

it is muzzle loading in that the projectile goes down the muzzle and in no other way because the powder charge is in a plastic case and enters from the breach
https://www.federalpremium.com/firestick.html

All true.

We get a week of regular muzzleloader here in PA. Anything goes muzzleloader, pretty much as long as it loads from the from it's legal.

It runs during archery season and you can use your flinter or caplock. I still scratch my head over guys going all out with their in-lines for that one week.

But "season extender" is pretty much it in a nutshell.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by TraderVic
Nessmuck,

JP McCoy...out of Nevada...45 cal .. green mountain barrel...Durs Egg lock

42 inch

I'm seriously considering a Jim Kibler Southern Mtn Rifle in 40 or 45 cal.

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 02:32 AM

^^^^^^^^^ Good choice….the .40 is a great caliber
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: Muzzleloader guys - 05/10/22 01:58 PM

Wolfdog , that is a lot of questions for a one finger typer like me to answer , but I'll try . I machined all the parts of the scope , but not the turrets . That is my next project . No nitrogen fill , not had any fogging problems yet .I built the scope to be a 7 power. You can change the configuration to get what you want . I built it to get a good field of view , and good light transmission . It has all coated optics.It cost me about $30 to buy the lenses and retical wire ,the steel was what I had laying around . You can buy old Stevens rifles , but they are big bucks now . The model 44 is the cheaper model . Mine is a 44 .It cost me $100 forty years ago . Wish I had bought several back then . It will shoot MOA groups or slightly less off the bags . I don't shoot it from the bench often . Guns are meant to be shot on your hind legs . You ain't a shooter if you can't shoot standing up . It is getting to be a little bit tougher for me at 4 months short of 80, but I still give it my best shot . The stock on my rifle is as it was built about 100years ago . The barrel is a modern 21 inch bull barrel . The rifle weighs about 10 pounds . The 44 is a rolling block type action as it pivots on a pin . The Stevens 44 1/2 action is a falling block type . The block on that action slides up an down in a mortise . The 44 1/2 is a lot more money than a 44 .Hope that answers most of your questions . Really like seeing your posts , keep up the good work . Oh by the way , there is a guy in PA that will build you a new 44 1/2 Stevens (look up Paul Shuttalworth) , about $2500 ,well worth the money .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums