Home

On the look out.

Posted By: MJM

On the look out. - 05/10/22 01:43 PM

I was sitting at the table eating this morning and see this guy on the look out. His mate was down below. I saw one in a old hawk nest two days in a row. I saw one sitting on the barbed wire fence one morning. I would guess they will nest in the pasture. They have spent a fair amount of time looking it over. There is a pair across the road too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 02:09 PM

How's the soil moisture now Mark?
Posted By: cathryn

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 02:11 PM

Please don't think I'm being a smartbutt but what type of bird is it?

I truly cant tell by the picture.
Posted By: grumpa

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 02:16 PM

Our Canadians all around us and in our field have already all hatched. Some hatched 3 weeks ago. I've watched 5 nests and all are out and about with their little ones. Have you seen any goslings anywhere around you? Those might be a 2 year old pair looking for next years nesting site, Canadians don't lay until they're 3 years old.

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 02:54 PM

b&b I have some dirt work I wanted to do, and it is to wet to run the skid across the lawn. I would leave ruts. The slough by the house is over flowing into the one north of it. Soggy
cathryn It is a Canada Goose.
grumpa We had a very late spring and I thought this pair had started nesting in the cattails just below the tree the way they acted. We got a couple big snows and if they were, the nest would have been flooded. There would have been 5-6 foot of snow over it before it melted. I have not see a gosling here yet. I feel a lot of ducks and geese lost nest due to the four foot of snow we got in a week. We needed the moisture bad. There were sloughs that were dry that the old cattle ranchers say they had never seen dry. So I was glad to get rain yesterday on top of what moisture we got out of the snow. They are talking a good chance of rain again tonight and tomorrow.

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 02:55 PM

I'thought is was a Canadian goose but ive never seen a Canadian goose in a tree around here. neat
Posted By: Kart29

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 03:42 PM

I saw a Canada goose in a tree a few years back. I was really surprised to see it, too.
Posted By: SJA

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 03:50 PM

Canada geese will sit in trees, on roof tops, and any high view advantage point when nesting :-)

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 04:31 PM

I saw them once sitting on top of rail cars feeding on the grain, that was spilled while they were filling them.
Posted By: danvee

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 04:38 PM

Lewis and Clark journals have several accounts of geese nesting in cottonwood trees along the Missouri.
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 04:41 PM

My river bottom has multiple pairs in the trees this year. I also noticed a pair across the river on a ledge on the side of a cliff. They certainly go into places you’d never see them in the fall like little creeks and puddles. 99 percent of the time they are on the big wide open gravel bars for safety. They sure are making a heck of a lot of noise right now too.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 05:03 PM

Seeing canadian goose babies here. About the size of quail so hatch is just starting.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 05:19 PM

Canada goose. Take a gander at his big honker.

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 05:20 PM

Yellowstone Are they nesting in old hawk nests? I floated the Missouri River years ago from Loma to the James Kipp Recreation Area (129 miles), when I lived in Gt Falls MT. There were dirt pillars along some of the dirt cliffs. Some were 100+ feet tall and there was often geese nesting on them. I should maybe make that trip again.

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Canada goose. Take a gander at his big honker.

Big indeed

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 05:29 PM

Do yhe gosling just jump out of the nest like wood ducks?

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 06:25 PM

cathryn Yes they do. I have seen video of the Aleutian Canada goslings jumping out of nest on rock cliffs and bouncing all the way down. Most of them jump up and take off running to mom.
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 06:44 PM

Vermin here. I'd give you a couple hundred if it was legal,and if I could catch 'em,lol
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 07:03 PM

There’s a pair at my dads place that have 4 or 5 little ones with them. I’ve got some on a few of my ponds but haven’t seen any babies there

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 07:11 PM

Oleo Acres What makes the vermin there?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 07:18 PM

Mark if they act like they do here..

Feces all over everything. Taught pe for 36 yrs and I hate ‘em they crapped all over every school activity fields, sidewalks etc. but I do love to hunt them.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 07:39 PM

Still sitting on nests here, also this year have a lot of swans on the local ponds and lakes, more than I have ever seen in this area, don’t think there’s a single body of water that doesn’t have a pair nesting on it often with a pair of geese on the opposite end
Posted By: Kart29

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 07:59 PM

They are like giant city pigeons here. They don't migrate, they live here year 'round. They enormous amounts of crap over everything. Their rotting road-killed carcasses are lying along the roadsides and stinking up the joint. They are loud, obnoxious, aggressive, and completely unnatural. You mostly find them in the city where they have no natural predators to take them out. If you get out of the city and away from all the retention ponds there aren't nearly so many of them.

I despise them. A friend of mine likes waterfowl hunting and enjoys the sport. But I hate the filthy vermin so bad I would only be killing them for spite - not for sport.

They need to start killing them in city and return them to a wild state, with a fear of mankind. But I guess international law prevents that from happening.

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 08:08 PM

nightlife I have never seen a swan nest in ND. I never thought about it until you brought it up. I would guess they might in the Turtle Mountains. But I never saw it.
Kart29 I don't live in the city. I wonder is the city or the geese the problem?

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 08:08 PM

Like Kart said,wake up in the morning,might be 80 or a hundred outside,crapping huge piles all over everything,constant honking,,etc.... etc....

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oleo Acres
Like Kart said,wake up in the morning,might be 80 or a hundred outside,crapping huge piles all over everything,constant honking,,etc.... etc....

I take it you are a city dweller too?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 08:27 PM

I don't live in the city but they are a huge nuisance here. NC wildlife has a September resident goose season to kill off all of the years hatch.

You can hunt until 30 minutes after sunset, use unplugged guns, can use an e-caller, and the limit is 15 per person instead of 5. Resident geese are a problem

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 08:36 PM

LOL,no,Live on a river in the country

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 09:03 PM

coondager2 We have a early Canada goose season here also. It opens 8/15 with a 15 bird limit. I am sure some can not fly then. So they would for sure be residents.
Oleo Acres You should maybe start hunting them some. They may decide it is safer up or down the river. They are not real stupid.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Oleo Acres What makes the vermin there?

If you ever saw what they can do to a small field of winter wheat over the winter , you would know. It was like a pool table except for the 25-30 feet all around the perimeter.
Posted By: SJA

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 11:21 PM

Canada Geese, generally just crop the tops of wheat, which will grow back, It's the Snow Geese the pull the entire root up and leave nothing but a mud flat when they leave. Saw them completely decimate 100 acres in 3 days and left the field as barren as a desert! mad
Posted By: Northof50

Re: On the look out. - 05/10/22 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
coondager2 We have a early Canada goose season here also. It opens 8/15 with a 15 bird limit. I am sure some can not fly then. So they would for sure be residents.
Oleo Acres You should maybe start hunting them some. They may decide it is safer up or down the river. They are not real stupid.

They ave changed the act so we have a spring Canada goose season next year it is going to be extended longer.
1 March to 30 March next year, as long as the northern smaller Canada's have not returned which are hurting in numbers.

love them with your gun bead on their nose
hate them when the bead ____ is on your toes
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: On the look out. - 05/11/22 12:08 AM

Are those Canadian geese a new species? Looks like a Canada goose to me.

Yeah...I know that deer have antlers.....not horns.

Re: On the look out. - 05/11/22 01:05 AM

I'd love to hunt them,but there's a camp about every 1-200 yards all along the river. State law says you can't shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling,without permission of all occupants. Darn near impossible to get,which is why so many geese here. Some people around here like them. Oh well,the musky and smallies pretty well make up for putting up with them.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: On the look out. - 05/11/22 01:43 AM

Where you (Mjm)lives, I'm sure he's happy just seeing any form of life whistle
I start seeing gosling about may 15 every year.

Re: On the look out. - 05/11/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Where you (Mjm)lives, I'm sure he's happy just seeing any form of life whistle
I start seeing gosling about may 15 every year.

This is very accurate. Very little that can leave, stays here in the winter. The deer even move out from around me. The move SW of here about 20 miles. After seeing so little all winter it is good to see life of some sort.
As far as crop damage goes, I have see my share. Here farmers can get a kill permit for 50 if they have crop damage. You are talking pairs and goslings. I have told a fair number of farmers to get my name on a kill permit and I would shoot them. I never had one do it, so they must not have had a big problem.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums