Home

D.O.T. harassment days

Posted By: danny clifton

D.O.T. harassment days - 05/10/22 03:00 PM

https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/international-roadcheck-date-fast-approaching

If you think this is about safety your misinformed.

Good time to take a few days and set limb lines.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/10/22 03:06 PM

Good luck on the limb lines, I started with em a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/10/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/international-roadcheck-date-fast-approaching

If you think this is about safety your misinformed.

Good time to take a few days and set limb lines.

What's a "north cb"?
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/10/22 05:37 PM

Thanks for the Heads up, I'll work local to take a couple days off, no sense in flirting with the Devil.
Posted By: hippie

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/10/22 05:45 PM

Oh boy, can't wait!

Gonna have a couple mad drivers.
Posted By: run

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 12:23 PM

Uh oh.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 04:40 PM

From the article, "CVSA reported that 83.5% of inspected vehicles had no violations that took a truck or a motor coach out of service during the 2021 roadcheck." 16.5% of the trucks inspected failed badly enough to be taken out of service last year.

Keith
Posted By: Marty

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 04:59 PM

Lots of the truck enforcement officers suck. Lawrence started a traffic unit back in 2007 and they were terrible....you got stopped and you were getting a ticket, guaranteed. Driving my tandem dump I was well under weight overall but the front axle was a little over..hauling dirt that was loaded at a job site. Told the cop that I was obviously trying to comply but had no way of weighing in the field....and I did not load the truck....he cited me anyway... and he also did a full inspection..
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 05:24 PM

DOT officers are social misfits that have failed at everything else in life.
Posted By: greenhead

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 08:25 PM

Come on guys be easy on us MCSAP guys.

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 08:57 PM

You ever been fined for working to much greenhead? I could write paragraphs but I think that says it all. Dr's, cops, all have peoples lives in their hands. One is armed and one is doing medical procedures. Both routinely work long hours. Let a trucker try to run his limit only to find no place to park, he gets a ticket. run out of time a half hour from home? C,mon. You know exactly why truck enforcement gets so little respect from drivers.
Posted By: run

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 09:16 PM

I guess I have to agree with Danny. Truck drivers lose money when the wheels aren't turning.
Posted By: greenhead

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 09:19 PM

No never fined but i've taken many off the street that shouldn't be on the road. Exp. suspended drivers, drivers not holding a cmv license, drivers prohibited from operating under the clearinghouse, bad brakes, bad tiedowns, pitman arm, etc. I could go on and on. Hopefully I saved someones wife, husband, child, parent, grandparent by taking these drivers and vehicles off our roadways.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 10:03 PM

ran a business for 20 years [pallets] always had a problem every spring , so one year i call the d,o, t, to come do a inspection , so he comes writes everything that he say needs to be fixed, he comes back and say everything is great!!, the next week one of my driver get pulled over and 8 citations , so i call the head guy and turns out he was the one who did my first inspection !!!!! so he comes and tears up citation , and for the next 10 years we never got pulled over again !!!!!,
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 10:08 PM

Sounds about right...depends on who you know.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/11/22 11:39 PM

Why anyone would aspire to be a “ weigh boy” is beyond me

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 12:46 AM

Sure is funny how hours of service and weight limits are exempted when your doing flood relief.
Posted By: cmj

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 12:50 AM

I dont need any fines right now, fuel is enough! Only drive a triaxle dump. I avoid any weigh stations.
They have been hitting the pickups with trailers hard around here. Not sure what they are looking for but I see then stopped along the highway.
Posted By: Marty

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 12:50 AM

Got exempts itself from all the laws that apply to us
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by cmj
I dont need any fines right now, fuel is enough! Only drive a triaxle dump. I avoid any weigh stations.
They have been hitting the pickups with trailers hard around here. Not sure what they are looking for but I see then stopped along the highway.

Probably looking for red fuel
Posted By: Squash

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 10:03 AM

Around here, DOT and state police have become nothing more than state revenuer's.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 10:04 AM

Had a creeper cop in Murphysboro TN. Told me I had a cracked fifth wheel pull over there and whoa and behold a man with a welding truck 3 inch long bead and 75.00 dollars later and back on the road 1989

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 10:15 AM

Around here, DOT and state police have become nothing more than state revenuer's.

No seat belt ticket is 200 plus. You can't just take the ticket and go back to work either. Have to listen to some kid that was born AFTER you started driving commercially repeat like a parrot, all the gibberish he was told in training. I have told more than one to just give me the %$$## ticket, I have backed up more miles than you have driven forward. If you want a seat belt abrading the side of your neck for 60 hours a week then have at it. I am not wearing one.

If you want to know why OTR driver shortage is so bad that is a biggy. Unreasonable over regulation and the snot nosed smart alecs they get to enforce it. The old guys , just like the old drivers, are just putting in their time.

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cmj

Most pickups with trailers are class A here now. Ridiculous I can't put a guy in a automatic pickup with a dump trailer beind it without a class A. That's not about safety, it's about control and lobbying. Now I have to compete with the trucking industry for workers just to drive pickups.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 01:38 PM

My understanding is: A normal Class D license allows a driver to
  • Drive a vehicle (pickup) with a trailer providing:
    • The trailer does not exceed 10,000 lbs
    • The combination does not exceed 26,000 lbs

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
My understanding is: A normal Class D license allows a driver to
  • Drive a vehicle (pickup) with a trailer providing:
    • The trailer does not exceed 10,000 lbs
    • The combination does not exceed 26,000 lbs

Most every car/dump trailer has a gvw over 10k, most are at 14,000
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Very true, the trailer is the limiting factor.

Still, you can easily tow a cord of green wood in a 6x12x2 dump trailer rated at 10,000 lb. That still allows for a half cord in the pu box.
Posted By: Squash

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 03:41 PM

No seat belt ticket is 200 plus. You can't just take the ticket and go back to work either. Have to listen to some kid that was born AFTER you started driving commercially repeat like a parrot, all the gibberish he was told in training. I have told more than one to just give me the %$$## ticket, I have backed up more miles than you have driven forward. If you want a seat belt abrading the side of your neck for 60 hours a week then have at it. I am not wearing one.

If you want to know why OTR driver shortage is so bad that is a biggy. Unreasonable over regulation and the snot nosed smart alecs they get to enforce it. The old guys , just like the old drivers, are just putting in their time.

X2, and the court surcharge is usually more than the fine. Money making racket.

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Very true, the trailer is the limiting factor.

Still, you can easily tow a cord of green wood in a 6x12x2 dump trailer rated at 10,000 lb. That still allows for a half cord in the pu box.

I can't haul a bobcat in a dump trailer without a class A, farmers can't haul a load of cattle without a class A. Average Joe homeowner can buy a 40 foot 5th wheel camper and hook his boat to the back of it behind a f150 if he wants to.

Now I hire a guy at 20 a hour, get him his class A (expensive) and then he realizes he can sit in a automatic dump truck for 30 a hour and never have to run a saw or haul brush up someone's hill.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: D.O.T. harassment days - 05/12/22 06:00 PM

Goodness Danny,

How many darn miles have you driven forward, let alone backward?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums