Home

Turkey hunting gun recommendations?

Posted By: 2zwudz

Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:48 AM

What 12 gauge shotgun and barrel/choke do you recommend for turkey hunting?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:49 AM

Full choke, have at it! It's not rocket science!
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:51 AM

Semi-auto whatever brand. Have needed quick follow up shots with single shots and glad I had a quick follow up shot with a semi auto. Ultra tight patterns are over rated.
Posted By: 2zwudz

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

Originally Posted by Yukon John

Is a 30” full choke barrel better than a 24” barrel with a extended full choke?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:01 AM

No, shotguns get full burn in 18-20.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:09 AM

I throw my my idea. Hunted them from 1972-2017. Went every day in spring till I was done and a lot in fall season. Full choke is fine. If you get him in at 7 yds with a extra full you could miss. If you like to shoot a longer way extra full is fine. But you are dealing with wild birds and in the spring they got only one thing on their mind. Shot one in the 70s that flew across a slough and landed at 7 yds. Only one of 2 I ever had to run down. Barrels I found 26 was perfect. Hated 24 in. Was not enough sight plane for me. I’m sure you will get a lot of other view. This is mine. Don’t know how many you harvested. But the first few are the hardest
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:25 AM

Remington 870 12 ga with a jelly head choke. Great combination, killed many turkeys with this gun. 3” supreme #6 , kills dead.

John

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:27 AM

The most important thing you can do before anything else. Take that scattergun outside and shoot it at known distances from 5 yards out to 60. You'll learn that it's easy to totally miss at 5 and you've got no business trying at 60. You'll find a sweet spot, and load combination, somewhere between 25 and 45 if the gun is to be a turkey gun.

Basics of a turkey gun.

12ga 3"
21"-26" barrel
Threaded for choke tubes
Irons/fiber optics possibly tapped for scope or red dot
Pump or auto
Matte or camo finish

Shot sizes 4,5 or 6 in lead. 4 being heavier offers best penetration but being larger means fewer pellets on target. 6 being smallest means more pellets on target but being lighter has less penetration. 5 splits the difference. Try difference sizes and makes of shell at various distances and select the one or two that most consistently place 12 or more pellets into the head neck region of a turkey target.
Heavier than lead such as bismuth or tungsten can drop down a size to a size and a half and retain penetration of the larger lead while increasing pellet count.

Aiming point on a turkey is the neck not the head.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:33 AM

Just buy a shotgun YOU like. Get you some cardboard and some ammo and start shooting. Once you figure out what your gun can do your in business. asking what shotgun is like asking what pickup or which trap. Have to start somewhere.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:37 AM

barrel length gives you a slight increase in velocity but after 20 inches you don't get a lot of change in a 24, 26 , 28 or 30

barrel length has nothing to do with the pattern the same choke in my 28 inch barrel patterns nearly identically from the 20 inch barrel.

I can't say I have shot a turkey with it but I have two 20 inch barrel 12ga shotguns now and have shot lots of other things with them trap , pheasants , rabbits , deer.
I am not going back to swinging a 54 inch gun in the woods the 20 inch just carries so much easier so much more handy

if your looking at buying something new I would absolutely go 20-24 inch

pattern your shells try different chokes see what works for you at different ranges

I have a thread around here someplace where we were talking 20 inch barrel 12 ga
Posted By: J Harrell

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:39 AM

I have used an 870 pump for the last 30 years, I like a shorter barrel myself.

If possible get you a shotgun with screw in chokes so you can experiment to find a choke that fits your needs.

To me the most important thing you can do to a turkey gun is install rifle sights on it so you can center up your pattern by adjusting the sights, a lot of guns don't shoot true with just a bead. And the rifle sights will get you in the habit of aiming in the heat of the moment when shooting at a turkey and help when those close shots present themselves.

My current 870 is equipped with one of the 20" slug barrel that came with rifle sights and Rem chokes, with an extended choke tube I'm pushing 22" overall.

Disclaimer....turkey hunting is very addictive! Good luck!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:43 AM

I found the tread https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7545896/shorter-shotguns#Post7545896

as others in the thread pointed out you build one to really work for you and it can become your almost everything shotgun.

the numbers came out to something like 5-7% loss in velocity going form a 30 inch to a 20inch barrel but you loose 1/3 of the length

below 18 you start loosing velocity much faster

makes sense shotguns require a 18 inch barrel so most shells would be designed to get most of their velocity in 18 inches the most common barrel lenghts are 18 , 20 , 21, 24, 26 28 and 30 there are some old 36 inch barrels around but most guns made in the last 30 years atop at 28 for max barrel lenght with 26 and 28 being very common choked guns

a few turkey guns 20,21,22,24

and a bunch of home defense and police type at 18 and 20 inch
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:47 AM

Remington 870 12ga red dot scope longbeard xr choke. Eric
Posted By: bass10

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:15 AM

Well I’m overkill, but I shoot a beretta A350 turkey extreme, I have an Indian creek choke tube on it. I put a true glow gobble stopper
Site. I then shoot 3.5” TSS. Been hunting them for 35 years so although I’m an old timer as well as everyone that says you don’t need
All that, I love my setup. I am plenty good enough to call them in close but I just called one in for a friend and it held up at 60 yards, his
Setup the bird walked. To each their own but I spend a lot of time in the turkey woods.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:34 AM

3.5 is definitely turkey medicine but taking that step is moving up into specialization and generally heavier guns.

My list was for a basic set up.

But I still have a 2.75 gun. However I've patterned it enough that with the right load of 5 I would take a poke at 45 though 35 is more in it's wheelhouse. A briley straight rifled extra full made the difference.

If I were looking for a new one the stoeger M3500 looks like a good starting point.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Join the koolaid kids club ! Buy you a koolaid cannon 410 using those 10 dollar a pop tss shot shells. All the rage among the hip crowd
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:48 AM

The shotgun I've killed the most turkeys with is an old single shot h&r with a fixed modified choke. I keep it in the truck so many times it just happens to be there when it counts. Ive killed several birds with cheap bulk packed 7.5 shot low brass(because it is what was in the truck when I heard a midday gobble).

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
[Linked Image]
Join the koolaid kids club ! Buy you a koolaid cannon 410 using those 10 dollar a pop tss shot shells. All the rage among the hip crowd

Don't even get me started on the man bun stuntsters. Just because you can doesn't make it right.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:05 AM

I’ve killed turkey, ducks, geese, quail, Hungarian partridge, chukar, pheasant, rabbits, sharp tail grouse and dove all with the same shotgun, browning Maxus. Never understood having a different gun for each type of hunting. I hunt all my big game with the same .270 from white tails and antelope to elk, all my birds from dove to turkey with the same 12 gauge.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I’ve killed turkey, ducks, geese, quail, Hungarian partridge, chukar, pheasant, rabbits, sharp tail grouse and dove all with the same shotgun, browning Maxus. Never understood having a different gun for each type of hunting. I hunt all my big game with the same .270 from white tails and antelope to elk, all my birds from dove to turkey with the same 12 gauge.

That's my thinking as well. Which is why I prefer a 26" barrel and 2.75 or 3 inch chamber.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:32 AM

Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to stress over what gun to get for turkey. Buy something that suits you and pattern it with the choke/shot of your choice. Once you know it’s effective range, hunt accordingly.

I use a 12 GA Remington 870. While I had it on hand, I used heavy shot #5 with an extra full coyote choke. I’ve shot and killed gobblers on the spot at 75 yards with that load/choke combo.

After I ran out of heavy shot loads and they got crazy expensive, I switched to #4 Winchester turkey loads with the same choke. I was too cheap to pattern the load and really didn’t care if I got a turkey but haven’t missed one yet under 55 yards.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 04:04 AM

Buy what fits you when you pull it up all you see is the whole bead then with no adjustment needed, if recoil is a issue look at a auto a lot of pumps and single shots kill on both ends often.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Buy what fits you when you pull it up all you see is the whole bead then with no adjustment needed, if recoil is a issue look at a auto a lot of pumps and single shots kill on both ends often.

Yep, this. When I bought my shotgun about ten years ago i spent a bunch of time in the store shouldering different shotguns, picked one up that I hadn’t tried yet and shouldered it, looked at the salesman and said “start the paperwork” he asked me if I wanted to know the price and I said “nope, I’ll find out when I write the check.” Cause when a gun speaks to you like that one did, it doesn’t matter what it costs. It was $1,400 and worth every penny. I’ve carried that thing many many miles and killed many many birds. Buy a gun that really fits you, be willing to pay good money for it and you won’t regret it.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 06:11 AM

[Linked Image]

This gun has taken approximately 30 toms for me. All clean kills and no chasing “dead” birds.
Remington 1187 Super Magnum Special Purpose turkey gun.
21” barrel.
The Monte Carlo stock helps alignment with the scope.
Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope.
Super full extended and ported choke tube.
Federal Supreme 3.5” super magnum turkey loads. 2ounces of buffered copper plated lead shot.
Effective stone dead killing range is 20-55 yards. At less than 20 yards, the pattern is the size of the muzzle.
It will kill birds at longer distances - I have made long follow up shots when helping others.
Many hot rod high performance modifications.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 08:56 AM

Started turkey hunting in 1977
with a Remington 870 Wingmaster
with a 30" ventilated rib barrel in full choke.

Chambered for 2 3/4" shells only.

Shot many turkeys at 30 to 40 yards
with #4, #5, and #6 shot.

In 1989 at a D.U. banquet won a sponsor
raffle for a Mossberg 835 Ultimag guide's gun
Serial #070 so started to use it for turkey.

I still use the 2 3/4" #5's as I think 3" and 3.5"
shells are a waste of powder and lead.

Both guns killed my turkey mostly stone dead
as long as I was aiming correctly.

walleyed
Posted By: jk

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 11:17 AM

Savage 77E here with full choke for everything, the old #6 black Remington shot. Dont shoot past 35 yards, most at 20. Works for me and is a lot more fun........jk
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Don't even get me started on the man bun stuntsters. Just because you can doesn't make it right.

I'm curious on your comment here warrior. Just because you can kill a turkey with a 410 that has more lethality than a 12ga with lead makes it wrong?

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 11:53 AM

As said before, if you want a 12ga lead shot is just fine. Please pattern your gun before you go hunting. A lot of times with super tight chokes and heavy lead loads they don't hit exactly where you point, know what your gun does.

I hate a semi auto for turkey hunting. I like knowing if I need a follow up shot it is there. My preferred turkey gun is an 870 pump. I know when I rack it back there will be another one waiting if I need a follow up shot

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by warrior

I'm curious on your comment here warrior. Just because you can kill a turkey with a 410 that has more lethality than a 12ga with lead makes it wrong?

Purposely skating on thin ice doesn't make you a hero. The 410 shell no matter what magic beans you stuff it with can never hold anywhere near what a standard 12 can.

You might as well use a rifle.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 11:58 AM

Turkey hunting has become more about the kill than the hunt to many.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:00 PM

Yes warrior it can. There is no thin ice. A standard load I shot for many years was a 3.5" 12 ga longbeard xr by winchester. With 2 oz of #5 lead it has 340 pellets

A load I shoot now is 1oz of tss #9. It has 365 pellets and is ballistically equivalent to #4 lead shot. It is more lethal than a 3.5" 12ga load of #5 lead

If it wasn't I wouldn't be shooting it
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 12:15 PM

Don't over think it. Most any shotgun will work. Don't need the latest wizz-bang equipment to kill a turkey. Standard Pheasant/Duck shells will work fine as do Factory chokes. Just like anything else let them get into descent range before you shoot.
Posted By: jk

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 01:10 PM

Swiftkill that is sort of what I was saying. I am very used to my gun, have had it for more than 60 years......jk
Posted By: NWS,LLC

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:35 PM

What warrior said, too many guys in it for mostly the kill. references in this thread about shooting birds at 50 plus yards, 75 yards, super tight choke, heavy shot, etc. All that is pointing towards killing more. What happened to calling bird in to your lap? If it hangs up at 50 yards, and it don’t work out, hunt the bird another day.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:53 PM

I posted this to another social media site and I stand by it.

The old turkey men laid down a set of rules for a reason. It was about respect for the bird and honor for the hunter.

Most of these guys could've killed birds left right and center as they knew Mr Tom's weaknesses yet they chose a selected a set of ground rules that disadvantaged the hunter.

The first of which is if you ain't called it you ain't earned it.

And only snakes crawl on their bellies.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
What warrior said, too many guys in it for mostly the kill. references in this thread about shooting birds at 50 plus yards, 75 yards, super tight choke, heavy shot, etc. All that is pointing towards killing more. What happened to calling bird in to your lap? If it hangs up at 50 yards, and it don’t work out, hunt the bird another day.

If you're out hunting the end result is to kill a bird, period, spin as you want. Some guys want to take a bird and move on to hunt other states. Doesn't mean they enjoy the hunt
any less than someone that lets one walk to hunt another day.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 02:59 PM

I've been hunting them with a cheap Remington 870 Express since soon after Remington came out with the Express about thirty-five years ago. I got a X-Full choke for it and did some patterning. I found out it didn't like three-inch magnums, most had a thin spot in the center of the pattern. I got my best results with 2 3/4" Winchester XX Turkey Loads in #6 shot. Been using them ever since.

Four or five years ago I missed two gobblers because I was lifting my head off the stock. I put Tru-Glo rifle-style sights on it and that solved that problem.

Last week I passed on a nice longbeard. I called in the hen he was with and she came within fifteen feet. I was so certain I was going to kill him I was thinking about how I was going to mount the fan. grin

He didn't follow her. He stayed down at the base of the ridge. I had a bead on him at right around 45 yards. A lot of guys would have taken that shot but I passed. I like them under 40 yards.

I like a pump, tight choke and rifle-style sights on a dedicated turkey gun. Whatever you end up with, pattern test it with various ammo and recognize both the weapon's and your own limitations.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bass10

If you're out hunting the end result is to kill a bird, period, spin as you want. Some guys want to take a bird and move on to hunt other states. Doesn't mean they enjoy the hunt
any less than someone that lets one walk to hunt another day.

If that's the case then why not roost shoot?

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:18 PM

Or ambush or shoot in field with center fire rifle?

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:22 PM

Because rifles and roost shooting is legal?

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 03:49 PM

Yes rifles legal in VA unless prohibited by a specific county. Nothing illegal in shooting a turkey from a tree if during legal shooting hours. However, both of these scenarios favor the kill and not the hunt.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 04:03 PM

Ok, roost shooting and rifles are not legal means in Ohio or any of the states I hunt. If its legal in someones state that is up to the individual and I am not here to judge.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 04:19 PM

Yes rifles legal in VA unless prohibited by a specific county. Nothing illegal in shooting a turkey from a tree if during legal shooting hours. However, both of these scenarios favor the kill and not the hunt.

I'd say legal methods and ethical shots favor the crockpot, not the kill. If you think shooting beyond xx number of yards is unethical even though a gun is capable of a clean kill at that distance, that's your own choice.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 04:52 PM

It’s obvious not everyone understands what spring turkey season is about and it’s not the crock pot. Take away all the modern day toys and rifles and earn it. Everyone wants instant success so they can run somewhere else.

Re: Turkey hunting gun recommendations? - 05/12/22 05:21 PM

It’s obvious not everyone understands what spring turkey season is about and it’s not the crock pot. Take away all the modern day toys and rifles and earn it. Everyone wants instant success so they can run somewhere else.

If anyone wants instant success then the turkey woods is not for them. I've been chasing them for 33 years, I guarantee I put more mileage on my boots ( $550 Russell Moccasins, probably shouldn't be allowed to wear them) than almost anyone scouting and hunting. When I enter the woods to hunt turkeys or set a trap for anything, my end result is to always be successful under legal means. With that said, when I take a newbie out, young or old, the first thing I tell them is if they don't absolutely love being out in the spring woods and seeing spring come in and a new day rising, they shouldn't be doing it and I'd rather not waste my time.

Sorry to derail your thread, there are so many variables to a gun. Get a setup you like, know its limits and what it will do and go for it. Personally I say get the best setup that won't fail you that you can afford.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums