Home

Nebraska/South Dakota winds

Posted By: NebrCatMan

Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 02:58 AM

Just seeing on the webb that there was some bad winds in North central Nebraska and south/southeast South Dakota. Any T Man members see some bad winds today?
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:00 AM

Blowing on and off out here in the Hills. About 35mph
Posted By: TC1

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:05 AM

Winds in excess of 100 in large areas here. Metal and wood strewn for miles all over the fields. Have never seen anything remotely close to what came thru here this evening. Was as dark as midnight at 5:45 this afternoon. Power will be out in many areas for days here.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:15 AM

The winds made it up here. Trees down, buildings damaged/gone, and over 7000 people without power this evening. Going to be a long spring at this rate.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:29 AM

30 mph in Valentine tonight. I won't complain.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:35 AM

Pretty bad here, lots of tree and building damage. Big wall of wind, pictures are crazy. Still out of power but hopefully will have it by morning. They are working on it so really appreciate all you linemen! We are 35 miles west of Yankton.

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 04:13 AM

Darned pics

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 10:01 AM

Burwell NE fairgrounds got tore up too.

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 10:04 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Arrow B

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 10:14 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The storm about to hit here. A lot of damage in our neighborhood metal scattered all over the fields
Posted By: Jkme

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 10:24 AM

I heard Burwell got smoked. Rodeo might be canceled
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 10:25 AM

Here in Vermillion we had winds over 70 , Sioux Falls had a lot of damage , the Madison area had winds to 97 , Flandreau where my son lives also had winds 90+ , he lost tin off his outbuildings and lost some trees
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 11:58 AM

Sounds like what we had back in December 15th 2021
had rain and 100mph winds did a lot of damage.

Sure seems like the wind blows alot more these days.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 12:11 PM

Another lesson that overhead power lines and larger trees don't mix well. As Arrow B's photos show, one of the freakier aspects was the "wall of wind" in the front of the storm carrying all the soil with it. I pray and hope that is the worse wide-spread storm we get this season because if it would have come in late June or July, there would have been major crop damage.

My sub-division is newer so we have underground power lines and not a lot of big trees so damage here was minimal. Across the "highway' from us is a commercial zone and I think a framed up but not paneled new construction building collapsed. I have 3 cucumber trellis made out of 2x2s in the back, the one I had moved to a new spot in the garden collapsed but the other two 30-40 feet away stayed up. Go figure...
Posted By: DWC

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 12:25 PM

Luckily, after the wall of dirt came through and spray painted everything, we had a power washing about 3 hours later with sheets of sideways rain and 70 mph winds. Had a pretty nervous three year old hanging on tight during that one.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 12:35 PM

90 mph winds here. I have never seen it so dark, couldn't see the garage 30 ft from the house. Lots of tree damage,CVA had a 300,000 bushel bin collapse. Huge feedyard lost a cattle shed. Several towns in the area are out of power. I like a good thunderstorm, but this one even made me nervous.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 03:29 PM

I seen this article yesterday. https://panhandle.newschannelnebras...crash-in-dust-storm-west-of-north-platte

Looks like Hwy 30 had a pile up near North Platte due to a huge dust storm the wind caused.
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 04:27 PM

Windy in NE South Dakota as well. I have one tandem enclosed trailer on its roof but not much other damage. Several local small towns hit pretty hard with many 100 year old trees uprooted and some building/bin damage.

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 04:41 PM

I think se SD has had a pretty bad soil erosion year so far. A number of very windy days in April created semi-"dust storms" from all the cropland bare from last year or tilled for planting and then getting a number of high wind days. Now add on to those days in April this powerful lines of storms. I sort of cringe at thinking how much good soil has been lost in individual fields in just 6 weeks...

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 04:46 PM

A good example of why I don't miss living near overhead power lines or old "residential" trees. This is a house across the street and 2 houses up from our old house in Sioux Falls. I suppose this blue spruce was planted sometime in the late 1950s through mid 1960s. Luckily for the older lady living in this house it landed where it did. It will cost her enough to have the tree cut up and removed, let alone having to do that as well as fixing the roof if the tree would have come down on it. Maybe the roof would have held. Maybe...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 07:13 PM

A big chunk of the East end of the State took a hit I was set up for seated BUI training tomorrow here in town a short day was planned but now I’m heading to Pierre instead because the first instructor they lined up lost a barn yesterday.

Local storm chaser photos
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/13/22 08:44 PM

Friend of mine from Madison lost all the buildings on his farm but the house. Lots of OLD cottonwoods went down. Shame.

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/14/22 12:55 PM

I think the nature of prairie storms is one reason why our cottonwoods don't have a long life span compared to some species in the eastern or western forests. I think the life span for cottonwoods in this region is typically listed at about 125 years, a 150 year cottonwood is uncommon, a 200 year old cottonwood extremely rare. In the eastern or western forested regions, 200 years is the minimum of being considered old growth...
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/14/22 01:23 PM

Fire and wind are features of the prairie ecosystem. Changing nature sometimes comes up against obstacles.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/14/22 01:37 PM

Scientists discovered the cause of the high winds was because Wisconsin really sucks

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/14/22 03:11 PM

Had our deciduous trees been fully leafed out, there would not be a standing tree for counties. Y’all need firewood, come get it!!!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Nebraska/South Dakota winds - 05/14/22 05:03 PM

Derecho wind.-A violent prolonged wind event at the leading edge of a large curved storm front.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums