Home

bear attack again in NJ

Posted By: eric space

bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 12:46 AM

The black rats are all over here this year. Saw 5 today as I straightened up the winter clutter in my barn. Pic is one of them, a small male at the edge of my lawn. Woman attacked about 5 miles from my house, third attack in my county this spring, here is the info from our local paper:

"A Lafayette woman was taken to the hospital Wednesday after she was injured by a young bear near her home, said a spokesman for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
The 34-year-old woman had a physical encounter with the roughly 150- to 200-pound bear around 4:30 p.m. as she was checking her mail at the end of a farm lane, Larry Hajna said. State Police Trooper Brandi Slota, said in an email that the woman was walking on Gorney Road when a bear "charged and attacked her."
The woman's injuries were not considered life-threatening both Slota and Hajna confirmed; the woman had wounds to her right arm and buttock and has since been released from the hospital, Hajna said.
The bear, believed to be between a year and 2 years old, was with two other bears, Hajna said. They were scared off when a neighbor honked their car horn."

Bear hunting season has been cancelled by our governor for the last few years.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 12:56 AM

Good move by the Governor……need to fill his box With complaints.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 01:04 AM

SSS
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by yukon254
SSS

Yup!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 01:24 AM

start carrying a shotgun to the mail box
Posted By: Northof50

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by yukon254
SSS

only Canadian know that Alberta premier Ralph Kline phrase
shoot-shovel-shut -up

one attach in Manitoba was linked back to a rabid bear that I knew of the person here.
So I sure hope they get that bear,ASP
Posted By: bandy

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 02:25 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My favorite.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 02:31 AM

Bandy, did you mean for your owls to be on Jack’s Photo Phriday thread ? blush
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 11:05 AM

I wondered why there were owls showing up on the Bear Attack thread. grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 11:19 AM

Is Bandy getting old and senile? If so he is qualified to be our next president LOL
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Is Bandy getting old and senile? If so he is qualified to be our next president LOL

lol
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 02:29 PM

I have been plagued by a couple black bears this year. A sow, and yearling. They destroyed my quail hutch, and 15 beehives. I had a face to face encounter with the young-un while collecting maple sap. These bears have not been aggressive (yet), but sure aren't afraid either. They come back looking for damage to cause every day.

"Too bad", says the MNDNR. in each of about a half dozen phone calls.

"My next phone call will be for you to pick up a bear carcass", says me. My .45 is now loaded with super +P 255 gr flat nosed hard lead.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 05:17 PM

The NYSDEC and PAGC sent letters to NJ about their bears causing problems in NY and PA because they know no boundaries. I guess the NJ emperor told them to pound salt.

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
The (fill in the blank) sent letters to (fill in the blank) about their bears causing problems...... because they know no boundaries.
In one of my many complaints, I told he DNR I was no longer going to tolerate the damage by their bears. "What do you mean our bears?" says bureaucrat. "You protect them, they are yours" says me.

That's when i was told that I have the right to protect my property.

Along the way in one exchange they said, "You can't kill a bear just to protect a bird feeder".... I said "Yeah they ate quail in my hutch; but that doesn't make it a bird feeder"
Posted By: mike mason

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/14/22 06:57 PM

PA GC was really good about bear damage. I had the privilege to trap bee yard bears one summer with Gary Alt.
Posted By: bandy

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 01:31 AM

I was just looking on the other post for those don't know how that happened.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by bandy
I was just looking on the other post for those don't know how that happened.

With myself it’s operator error.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 11:01 AM

Yeah............. The old adage "They're more scared of you than you are of them" is just that.............. OLD.

Bears that live in close proximity to humans lose most of that innate, instinctive fear. I live in a rural area. That being said........there's not a bear in my county that doesn't see, hear or smell a human every day of its life. I, personally, have only had one run-in with an aggressive bear on our 285 acre property. I know of two others..........on our property. But there's not enough fingers to count the bears that knew I was there yet didn't care.......let alone flee.

Black bears are more of a threat to humans than the greenie-weenies would like to have you think.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
start carrying a shotgun to the mail box

Buckshot, slug,buckshot , Slug- buckshot etc...
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 02:19 PM

The NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife just released the Black Bear Activity Report covering the period from January 1, 2022 to April 21, 2022. Category I bears, the most serious category, up 886.67%, Category II bears up 158.54% and Category III bears up 47.83%.

When will Governor Murphy realize that his current Black Bear policy is not only crazy, but dangerous?

How about some real science, instead of just political science?

Pete

Re: bear attack again in NJ - 05/15/22 02:39 PM

A shotgun is the right tool for the job. The problem is you can't carry a shotgun everywhere; especially if you have your hands full working.
This, on the othe hand, ain't the best, but, ought to work.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums