Home

New fleshing knife opinions

Posted By: FarmerDan

New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 03:46 AM

Looking for a new fleshing knife.

I have a Necker 600 now and I do really like it but just can’t seem to keep a good edge on it anymore. I’ve had for 10ish years and 3 people have learned how to flesh with it so I think it’s getting warn out.

I really like the feel, curve shape, and stiffness of the Necker. I have the Post fleshing knife and that is a great knife for beaver but don’t like the flex in it for coon and other critters.

Looking for something similar to the Necker that is just higher quality. So I’m debating between a new Necker 600, Necker 700, or a Freedom Brand knife if anyone as used on of those.
I’ve also looked at the parallel Steinmeyer knife and was wondering how flexible it is compared to the Necker?

I’m really open to any option though so let me know what you all think.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 09:05 AM

Go with Lee's parallel. I believe you'll like it better than your necker. Flexing is not an issue
Posted By: DaveP

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 10:18 AM

I bought one of Mr. Steinmeyer 's at Harrisonburg, VA a few years back.
Fantastic knife and great guy!
Wish I had one 40 years ago, lol.

I started with draw knives, still use them sometimes, and then a progression of other fleshing knives.
Took me a few beaver to get used to Lee"s, but I REALLY like it.
Wish Ida bought two!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Go with Lee's parallel. I believe you'll like it better than your necker. Flexing is not an issue

This. Lee's knife is probably the most comparable to the Necker, but of better quality.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 10:55 AM

Another vote for Lee Steinmeyer 's knives. I wonder if he's still running his free-pelter-with-every-purchase promotion? laugh
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:00 AM

Never tried a Necker but boight one of Lee's last fall and would highly recommend it
Posted By: LDW

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:02 AM

I have Lee's mini knife. Really like it, just fits me better and I have more control. You won't find a better knife, regardless of price.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:34 AM

Another vote for Mr Steinmeyer. I seriously doubt you can wear one out.
Posted By: micheal

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:45 AM

And another vote
Posted By: PopPop

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:58 AM

Lee Steinmeyer
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Another vote for Lee Steinmeyer 's knives. I wonder if he's still running his free-pelter-with-every-purchase promotion? laugh

I wonder if I might have gotten one of his last pelters when I bought my knife from him. I really like his T-shirts and coffee mugs too. Who would have thought you'd get so much neat stuff for just buying a fleshing knife???

Lee has nothing but great products and a person can't go wrong dealing with him. He's a great person.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 12:23 PM

I was told the pelter was only for the guys he likes..... I didn't get one with my fleshing knife.....
Posted By: 20scout

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 12:26 PM

I used a Necker 600 for a few years then went to one of Lee's. Haven't touched my Necker since.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 12:28 PM

Lee’s are spectacular. Flexing is not a problem.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Lee’s are spectacular. Flexing is not a problem.

I've used a lot of fleshers and Lee's are the best designed hands down. I have the short and long parallels, seems my hands like the short best. Now my Knecker is for muskrats and mink.
Posted By: red mt

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 03:29 PM

Get one of Lee's knifes you will not go wrong
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS

I wonder if I might have gotten one of his last pelters when I bought my knife from him. I really like his T-shirts and coffee mugs too. Who would have thought you'd get so much neat stuff for just buying a fleshing knife???

Lee has nothing but great products and a person can't go wrong dealing with him. He's a great person.

Someone is getting put on the" List." with a star or two... LOL

Lee makes a great product
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 03:40 PM

I’m pretty partial to Lee’ Little knife. [Linked Image]
Those others don’t get used .
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 05:36 PM

Thanks guys, I'm humbled! Thats a great storage rack, Don! Yall have a great Saturday!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS

I got all that free extra stuff too with mine and it wasn't even Christmas! Thanks again Lee!! grin
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 08:13 PM

LOVE my parallel!
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 09:22 PM

I scrape hides year around as a brain tanner. I've used most knife designs out there and prefer Lee's parallel knife over any of them.
I really give it a workout, not just in trapping season, but 12 months out of the year.
I previously thought that the Post was the best knife but it's in second place now..I rarely use it anymore.
I have flat out broken a lot of the cheaper knives on the market.
You know what they say about quality, you only pay once.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Thanks guys, I'm humbled! Thats a great storage rack, Don! Yall have a great Saturday!

Lee, you need to get recognized for the quality workmanship that goes into your products.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: New fleshing knife opinions - 05/14/22 11:39 PM

Zepf curve z.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums