Home

12 gauge

Posted By: danny clifton

12 gauge - 05/14/22 10:58 AM

Arguably the most useful firearm available to Americans ever. Certainly one of the most popular. Been around for centuries and another cartridge that transitioned successfully from black powder. It really is the gun that won the west. Shotguns on the frontier were very common owing to its versatility.

Here is an old single shot I bought when I was a kid. No clue how many meals its made but its been a bunch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 11:11 AM

I completely agree. Carried for everything from rabbits to grizzlies. No question the most versatile round in my opinion.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I completely agree. Carried for everything from rabbits to grizzlies. No question the most versatile round in my opinion.

x2
Posted By: bhugo

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 12:40 PM

Love my old wingmaster!
Posted By: DWC

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 12:44 PM

Those H and Rís always had a better feel and fit than the New Englands. Theres no disputing the 12 is king, even though there is a huge push to make the 20 the new 12 it seems like lately.
Posted By: warrior

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:10 PM

I've heard it said a pistol is the thing you use to keep the other guy ducking long enough to get to your shotgun.
Posted By: Posco

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Those H and Rís always had a better feel and fit than the New Englands. Theres no disputing the 12 is king, even though there is a huge push to make the 20 the new 12 it seems like lately.

I like the twenty gauge better than the twelve. I've killed geese, ducks, turkey and grouse with it. I remember when you could buy those old Stevens single shots for $35 all day long. Owned quite a few over the years.
Posted By: warrior

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

With the heavier than lead stuff folks are pushing the same way they did with the big 10 and 3.5 when all they had to work with was steel.

Technology is interesting but still in the center of it all is the do it all 12.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by DWC

I like the twenty gauge better than the twelve. I've killed geese, ducks, turkey and grouse with it. I remember when you could buy those old Stevens single shots for $35 all day long. Owned quite a few over the years.

20 guage can definitely do everything u mentioned but the power potential of the 12 guage just hands down makes it more versatile than the 20 guage.
Posted By: Posco

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
20 guage can definitely do everything u mentioned but the power potential of the 12 guage just hands down makes it more versatile than the 20 guage.

No doubt but I'm an avid grouse hunter. I prefer doubles and the difference in weight over the course of a day makes a big difference. I'd much rather tote a six pound gun than one that weighs eight. Grouse have a glass jaw.
Posted By: nate

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 01:57 PM

Beautiful ole gun Danny, thanks for showing.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 02:44 PM

If I was only allowed one gun,,It would be a 12 ga. Shotgun. smile
Posted By: otter3006

Re: 12 gauge - 05/14/22 05:56 PM

X10
© 2022 Trapperman Forums