Home

fried poke

Posted By: sako22

fried poke - 05/17/22 11:31 AM

Do any of you all on here eat fried poke in the spring. I have eaten it since i was young. My grandmother would cook a bunch of it this time of year. She would send me around the fencerows and barn lots to get the young tender poke weeds to fry up. Strip leaves off of it and pull the stringy stuff off the outside and cut it into 4 to 5 inch pieces and soak in salt water over night. then slice lenghtways and fry in eggwash and cornmeal. good stuff
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:41 AM

yes,,i cook it here too. Love it.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:45 AM

Never had it fried

Grandmother would boil it a few times, pouring water off each time, to "get the poison out" and serve it like any other greens.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:48 AM

what does it look like?

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:51 AM

Thick stemmed big leaves that gets tall and purple berries(poisen) If I have any up yet ill post a pic
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:52 AM

We've had 4 batches so far. The trick is to get it young while its fast growing and the cool weather we have had has helped. After it gets strong its better mixed with spinach. My mom always used lots of grease, so that is the way I still like it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:57 AM

The Polk around the farm just started growing and is up about 6 inches. Always wanted to try it. How tall do you let it grow till you start picking it?

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
The Polk around the farm just started growing and is up about 6 inches. Always wanted to try it. How tall do you let it grow till you start picking it?

I pick it about like West Rivers picture. I only pick the top tender leaves. If you wait til it gets too big or until hot weather it gets bitter. My wife cooks up lots then freezes it in the amounts we eat at a time. Seems to me the more bitter it gets the more the laxative effect, thus excellent cough remedy or at least afraid to cough!

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 12:11 PM

This size but right up until it gets woody....i like it a little bigger than this. We batter and dip the stems not the leaves per say

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by sako22
Do any of you all on here eat fried poke in the spring. I have eaten it since i was young. My grandmother would cook a bunch of it this time of year. She would send me around the fencerows and barn lots to get the young tender poke weeds to fry up. Strip leaves off of it and pull the stringy stuff off the outside and cut it into 4 to 5 inch pieces and soak in salt water over night. then slice lenghtways and fry in eggwash and cornmeal. good stuff

x2...my family came up from eastern ky
Posted By: sako22

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 12:41 PM

i like it a little taller than that also. As long as the stalk hasn't started turning real purple and it still snaps off easy when you break it then it should still be edible. Wild greens and turtle was another big springtime meal at home. We would pick wild greens from the creek bottoms and dad would start turtle hunting when the creeks got warm enough to wade in
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrT-TQTLoiw

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

ewwww

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:13 PM

I would rather eat poke sallet then listen to that! Matter of fact I would rather drink castor oil!

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
Originally Posted by upstateNY

ewwww

If you don't like the song "Poke Salad Annie" then your musical taste is,,,well,,lets just say its where the sun don't shine. smile

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:28 PM

Much better versions.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:33 PM

Much better versions.

He wrote that song.All other versions are coppy cats.Just in case you were wondering.Was #8 on the top 100 Billboard chart,,so someone must have liked it. cool

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:48 PM

tell somebody who cares,time for work not nonsense.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 01:51 PM

tell somebody who cares,time for work not nonsense.

Well get to work then and quit clicking on these posts.You get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Posted By: cathryn

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 02:46 PM

Simmer down fellas. LOL. And don't eat the berries

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Simmer down fellas. LOL. And don't eat the berries

LOL,,hope you catch your chiken thief !!

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 03:19 PM

Me too.lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 04:24 PM

Listen to poke salet Cathy,lol.
That is a great song,I remember it when it first came out back around 68,69 maybe.

Never tried Poke salet.I dont think it grows here.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Listen to poke salet Cathy,lol.
That is a great song,I remember it when it first came out back around 68,69 maybe.

Never tried Poke salet.I dont think it grows here.

I put a link to that song a couple posts above Boco,,for your listening pleasure.Enjoy! I don't think that stuff grows here either,,unless they call it something else.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 04:37 PM

Yea I listened to it.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 04:39 PM

No thanks, I'll stick with Rib Eyes.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BTLowry
Never had it fried

Grandmother would boil it a few times, pouring water off each time, to "get the poison out" and serve it like any other greens.

Same here and add a little vinegar. I need to get out and find me some.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 05:36 PM

The Indians in my area used the berries for dying fiber.

Boco..who's Cathy? whistle

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 06:01 PM

Thought maybe you two was getting close. grin

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 06:07 PM

Uh. No.

Me and Jerry ain't even that close.

grin

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 06:10 PM

Hahahaaaaa
Posted By: story

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 07:00 PM

We always boil in water 3 times then mix the greens in with scrambled eggs. Darn good eating
Posted By: Budzmtn

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 07:13 PM

Picked some this afternoon.
Stir fry beef tonight with poke, spring onions from the garden and broccoli.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 07:17 PM

yes its delicious. Sorry sir sako and to boss that we went off topic. It was extremely rude and lacking manners. whistle
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 07:38 PM

interesting , the entire plant is poisonus to eat but cooking it seems to reduce toxins

sort of reminds me of Garlic mustard , it is bad for you in large quantity but can be eaten in small quantity when very young

should be a real reminder that spring was starving season and people would try eating about anything
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 08:59 PM

I eat poke stalk if its rolled in cornmeal and fried in lard , best with pinto beans and poke salad fried in bacon grease and a big side of fried ground hog , now thats good ol Kentucky eating.

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 10:55 PM

You are,Your new nickname is poke sallet Cathy.I changed it from Crawdad Cathy.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: fried poke - 05/17/22 11:26 PM

So some of you eat the stems, and some of you eat the greens? I never tried it but always assumed people were cooking it like greens. Never heard of deep frying the stems before..
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: fried poke - 05/18/22 03:40 AM

Been eating it all my life. My favorite green by far. I like to pick it about 2 inches taller than wwr picture. I boil it twice and discard the water each time. Drain and press to remove the most water as possible. Sautee some onions until they are translucent, add polk salad and sautee to your liking and then throw a couple of scrambled eggs in the pan. Cook until eggs are done and you will be searching for that trash plant every spring afterwards.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums