Home

Trappin Tip Post

Posted By: Savell

Trappin Tip Post - 05/17/22 11:59 PM

.... ain’t much of a hand at water trappin .. but catch a few critters on land every now and then..

... good tip is bed your trap first... then make your set around it

... What do y’all got? ... land... water ... whatever lol

... put em in here
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:02 AM

Try to bed your trap where it would work as a blind set even without any attractors.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:08 AM

For spooky beaver: keep ALL parts of bodygrips, footholds, and snares underwater.

When making dirthole sets for k9s and bcats: the steeper the hole angle, the closer the trap to edge of hole. 90 degree holes work well with trap up tight.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:24 AM

Set on sign !
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:27 AM

Fish Sticks and Lone Star.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:28 AM

Land or water, ALWAYS make sure your trap is bedded solid.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:30 AM

You an coonman teamed up?
Sounds fishy lol
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Try to bed your trap where it would work as a blind set even without any attractors.

That is what the ol timers taught me. I'm like you Savell I don't know too much about water trappin
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:44 AM

In red fox country, don't fuss with your sets, slam in at least two, close together dirt-holes at good looking locations and move on. Three or even four sets at great looking locations.

Night-latch your traps for speed of setting and consistency.

Don't take advice from anybody who advocates short-latching.

Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:46 AM

Im a short latcher so that counts me out on this one. I was already stressing trying to think of some simple tip everyone already know's and not slip up and reveal a never before seen on tv secret!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:46 AM

[Linked Image]

You can see the 330 in the water by the log…that took this beaver. Make sure to cable or wire tie the trap to something sturdy. Then put a dead stick in a jar of Backbreakah lure…and shove it in the mud 8 inches behind the trap ..1 inch above the water
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:49 AM

Pre-Season scouting is the most underutilized tool a trapper has. Those that say otherwise haven't done enough pre-season scouting.

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:50 AM

[Linked Image]

I set my triggahs to have a more inviting opening….with a KB stabilizer

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:54 AM

[Linked Image]

And you can pull the springs up…and put a dead stick ( with no bark on it ) through the eyes of the springs ,to act as a “ Dive Stick “ ..to make the beaver dive down into the trap..instead of swimming ovah it.

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Im a short latcher so that counts me out on this one. I was already stressing trying to think of some simple tip everyone already know's and not slip up and reveal a never before seen on tv secret!

I forgot to put a smiley face after that short-latching jab.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 12:59 AM

If you have an opportunity to run a line with someone, do it, no matter how dumb you think they are. wink
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:03 AM

Wherever I want to set one for coyotes, I set two or three. Sometimes four.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:04 AM

No matter what your trapping or snaring-gang set.It allows you to keep sets working after catches at prime fur pockets(a lot of times a catch is an additional attractor) It works perfectly with an extended check time,which allows you to run more traps.Let your traps do the work for you,It will put more fur on the boards.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:08 AM

You make money settin' traps not checken' em!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:13 AM

Master 2 good sets. They will take 60% or better of the population.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:14 AM

If you can find a natural dive log the beaver have been using for sometime, save it for the last beaver.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

.. or 3 spread out on the same +\- mile of travelway at intersections and inside curves ... a man can pick up the same coyotes plus a cat or two that away in thick country
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:33 AM

Practice set makeing and bedding in the off-season
Not set day
That's all I got. grin
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:38 AM

Trap's set catch fur, trap's riden around in back of pickup DON'T
Posted By: Bob

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 02:36 AM

Keep your digits out of the pinchy part
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Originally Posted by Blaine County

.. or 3 spread out on the same +\- mile of travelway at intersections and inside curves ... a man can pick up the same coyotes plus a cat or two that away in thick country

This. If a spot is good for one, throw a couple or three at it. Been a few times where I found two wolves jammed up from checking out the wolverine sets and have a marten hanging from a box set as a consolation prize.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 04:43 AM

Stay in touch with the LO's during the off season. One never knows when they may need so ADC work done. It's also a good way to pick up more property from their friends or relatives.

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:06 PM

Any of yall remember Bad Karma's triangle of death theory? Basically if a spot is worth setting, make sure you leave a post, a hole, and a flat set. Remembering to do that catches me more fur every time
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:10 PM

When using foothold traps,,put the trap pan where the critter is going to put his foot. smile

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Set on sign !

[Linked Image]

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 01:31 PM

Kathryn's big buddy better stay off that tree, I don't think it would take too many knocks before it falls down and goes boom.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 03:30 PM

Don’t be afraid to use natural baits . Beaver will go after a plain mud mound or peeled sticks. Coyotes will go after a mouse or a mouse nest.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/18/22 05:12 PM

If there’s not enough water depth to drown a beaver with a slide wire or rod, I won’t set a leg grip. I’ll use snares or 330s at those locations.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/19/22 01:14 AM

the harder ya work the luckier you'll be
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/19/22 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by G Hose
You an coonman teamed up?
Sounds fishy lol

Talking about trapping on a trapping forum. What a strange concept.
Posted By: run

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/19/22 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Kathryn's big buddy better stay off that tree, I don't think it would take too many knocks before it falls down and goes boom.

Well said!!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 12:18 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is high water dredge ditch trapping at ice out. I like a high abruptness directly behind backing the trap, a popple bait stick and castor, and usually a thin 1/4” breasting stick over and up to the dog, a half inch above the water parallel to it to guard the dog and force a front foot catch. Drowning rig with cable, wire, or the rod of choice. I am trapping during dispersal here.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
No matter what your trapping or snaring-gang set.It allows you to keep sets working after catches at prime fur pockets(a lot of times a catch is an additional attractor) It works perfectly with an extended check time,which allows you to run more traps.Let your traps do the work for you,It will put more fur on the boards.

If you're a busy/workin person, this also allows you to grab and go, and still have sets working till you have time to reset.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 11:03 AM

This goes along with lugnut mentioned earlier...make your sets and then stay as far away as possible when checking them. I see too many new trappers screwing walking around their sets daily. Check ‘em visually and leave. Just another reason for gang sets...even if a set or even two is played with ...the other sets are still there ..waiting.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 11:08 AM

Repetition creates speed, time is money and less scent and activity at the location.
Posted By: spotter

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Fisher
You make money settin' traps not checken' em!

This
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/20/22 07:56 PM

Don’t hang a frozen animal to thaw over an open box of bisquick
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 12:44 AM

Sell all your traps and invest in the oil industry.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 12:47 AM

Use a dp as a castor holder. Make a slide to it. Set beaver trap/snare at bottom of slide. Catch a coon and a beaver.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 01:03 AM

When trapping otter always gang set because otyters usually travel in groups.

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 01:03 AM

Take a kid trapping.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 11:41 AM

If setting a 330 on a real nice pinch point, where there is a little current, make a long cable with loops on each end to anchor the trap. When you get one, he'll drift out of the zone, and other beavers won't be as spooky to the pinch point.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Repetition creates speed, time is money and less scent and activity at the location.

To go along with this, having all your equipment the same also helps with speed. If your traps are all the same brand and rigged exactly the same, you always know what you are dealing with and they go in fast and efficient.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 01:10 PM

Join and support as many trapping organizations or associations as you can afford.
Posted By: nate

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 02:18 PM

Cheese,butter, peanut butter,flour,bread and hamburger come to mind when you are after educated mice change it up will keep them traps a snappin.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trappin Tip Post - 05/21/22 05:15 PM

Plant your corn early.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums