Home

Hail-bang bang

Posted By: Bogmaster

Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 09:40 PM

About a half hour ago,I laid down for a short late nap.
All of a suden I heard some large bangs on the roof. To my horror,hail was the cause.Some as large as baseballs.Never in all my years have I seen hail so big. I haven't ventured outside yet,to see how the car faired.We are under a weather warning for another 51/2 hours.Sure hope the hail is done.
Tom
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 09:41 PM

Dang bogmaster, that's wild
Posted By: warrior

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 09:47 PM

I've seen that, once. The vehicles did not fare well.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 09:48 PM

Any wind or tree damage?

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 09:51 PM

Winds were not an issue this time. They were actually pretty light.
Tom
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 10:21 PM

I never saw hail that big, that could put some real dents in vehicles. I would hate to be outside and get hit on the head with hail the size of baseballs.

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:01 PM

Looks like I lucked out--only one roof dent that a quick evaluation revealed. I THINK THE TREE CLOSE TO THE CAR DIVERTED A LOT OF the hail.
News reporting golf ball sized hail,but we were hit with the bigger boys.
Tom
Posted By: Jags

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:08 PM

Get ready for the roofing company phone calls and fliers in your door.
We had a hail storm last June come through. Lot of roofs replaced.
Finally got mine done 2 weeks ago. Got to be to late in the year so I
told them to wait till this spring.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:15 PM

Same weather is coming into my farm right now.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:15 PM

Check where the rain gutters come out, and if there is pebbles from the roof's shingles = claim time
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:41 PM

Seen hail as big as softballs once. Sounded like someone was dropping bowling balls on the roof. Stood there in my shop and watched both of my welding trucks get beat to a pulp. Had a neighbor about a half mile away, got into his combine cab, as some of them were coming through the roof on his machine shed. Must have been lighter ga roofing than my old shop building! Sure tears stuff up, hope I never see it again!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/19/22 11:48 PM

Several years ago I had hail that size hit a rental property. When the insurance adjuster came out he reported the the dimples in the roof were "consistent with hammer blows".

I wonder what that idiot is doing for a living today.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 12:03 AM

Bog were down by spring Valley lost 6-8 big trees, bunch of shingles, powers supposed to be out for some time it's a mess but I hope that hail misses us. Lucky news with your hail situation
Posted By: DWC

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Several years ago I had hail that size hit a rental property. When the insurance adjuster came out he reported the the dimples in the roof were "consistent with hammer blows".

I wonder what that idiot is doing for a living today.

Probably sat through a powerpoint once
Posted By: warrior

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 01:24 AM

I was able to watch the one I went through from my covered front porch. Those bigguns were coming down so hard a fast that the river below looked like the whole surface was froth jumping three foot into the air. The sound was unbelievable just a constant roar it was hitting so fast. But it quit just as fast, couldn't have been but a minute or two.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 01:27 AM

Hope all is well Bogmaster
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 01:31 AM

We got bigger than a pea, smaller than a marble here in Faribault. I didn't sustain any damage.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:00 AM

I've seen quarter size but nothing that size.
Crazy,.
Wildlife/livestock gotta take a whooping?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:05 AM

Saw golf ball size hail once that lasted for just a couple of minutes. My secretary at the time was driving through the worst of it a couple of miles from our work. Her car looked like somebody spent 20 minutes going over the whole car with a hammer. I bet she had 150 quarter size dents.

The insurance company set her up with a company that pulled out every single dent without ever needing any body filler or painting. Looked good as new when they were done.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:10 AM

had large hail hit a town south of me 20 years ago roofs and siding destroyed cars totaled out only injury was a woman who ran out to drive their new car into the garage her husband was able to reach out and drag her back inside bruising and concussion
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:13 AM

I probably make half my income due to hail storms and I have seen it get huge. That being said, if it is frozen all the way thru it hits like ball bearings and anything as big as a golf ball will cause 100s of thousands of dollars, if it hits a metro make it millions.

This was made by a large lad

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:27 AM

I've seen some of the aftermath of a hailstorm like that but never been through one.

We woke up last night to 60 plus mph straight wind, my estimate nothing official, for about 15 minutes straight, tree limbs down and a peach tree gone still hunting and picking up stuff that was scattered.

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:31 AM

Yeah, don't underestimate straight line winds or micro bursts. I will up here in Van Zahnt County for at least another week on a wind storm
Posted By: marsupial magnet

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 02:43 AM

Last year we had a tornado come through with alot of hail. My 2019 ford 350 with aluminum body was severely dented. It took about 2 weeks to get time to take it in and get an estimate and roughly half of the dents were gone by then. Going on a year later i only have 2 or 3 dents out of hundreds left. I think the heat from the sun is expanding the aluminum enough to pop out the dents.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by marsupial magnet
Last year we had a tornado come through with alot of hail. My 2019 ford 350 with aluminum body was severely dented. It took about 2 weeks to get time to take it in and get an estimate and roughly half of the dents were gone by then. Going on a year later i only have 2 or 3 dents out of hundreds left. I think the heat from the sun is expanding the aluminum enough to pop out the dents.

That will happen over time on a steel body also. But only with minor dents. My 2001 GMC looked like a golf ball after that storm I told about, was facing north, and took out the windshield, headlights, one side glass and put dents in the bedside deeper than you can put in with a pretty big sledge hammer. They had a big hail storm in Wichita years ago, that was absolutely the worst I ever seen. It pounded the tops down on cars almost to the seat backs. That has prolly been 25-30 years ago now, but it was nasty, and lasted for like an hour and a half. Being trapped in that would be sheer terror! The one I was in started small and just kept getting bigger, ended up as big as softballs, and lasted about an hour, but seemed like it would never quit!

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 03:49 AM

All quiet now,even cold out. Next round fizzled out.
Hope it stays that way.
Tom
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 04:10 AM

The insurance adjusters will be out in force, I was north and west of you until about 4:30. My work truck dinged up fairly good. 6500 miles on it. We were in a safety meeting, probably 100 vehicles in the parking lot, not a one was spared I'm sure.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 10:56 AM

One of the few times that a weather statement came over the radio when I was driving in my new truck and so pulled over and stopped and watched the front pass.
1/2 hour later pulled into our destination and it looked like a Jamaican steel drum parking lot
can I say ouch for your truck 49er
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 11:58 AM

Had one of the worst hail storms I’ve ever seen just south of me 3 miles. Pastures that had 6-10 inch grass look life a fire got them. Mature Evergreen trees with almost all the green gone. We get lots of hail here but that storm was apocalyptic. Friend sent me pics of his place 50 hours later and he still had hail on the ground and it hasn’t been exactly cool around here. A couple pics of what used to be pasture

Attached picture C40E8C28-CEB7-4B56-BD0A-6BD9B39FBDD4.jpeg
Attached picture 1B1EDB3C-2A7A-4B85-8F22-BFB79D43839A.jpeg
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 12:18 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing more hail than usual this year? I've had three small hail storms come through the little town I live in in central ND this spring. It seems I remember in the past, we'd get maybe one hail storm per summer, and they usually only happened when it was +90°F.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 05:12 PM

Had a "0" rated Tornado running around in St. Louis County, heading north yesterday! Lot-o-rain with flooding and tree damage.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 09:53 PM

Don't ignore the potential damage to your roof, Tom. Would recommend you have someone do an inspection.

Moosetrot
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/20/22 10:48 PM

Never seen that either

Wow

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/21/22 12:52 AM

Dang Pawnee, can you imagine being caught out in that one?
Posted By: PFC Davis

Re: Hail-bang bang - 05/21/22 01:25 AM

Though not as large as all of the hail mentioned before in the comments but we had pea sized hail come down earlier today(not to mention a good sized tornado an hour south of us). It's still the largest hail I've seen.

I do apologize for the odd wording.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums