Home

Working the pole

Posted By: Tommie

Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:12 AM

Our youngest son is in lineman school in north Georgia, seems to really be enjoying it right now but that Georgia heat hasn’t really kicked in yet ,let’s hope and pray he makes it till the middle of August when he graduates. We tried to talk him into waiting till September or the winter class but he said that would interfere with his duck and goose season . His goal is to become a helicopter lineman. Wish him luck or say a prayer for him please . [Linked Image]
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:29 AM

Best of luck to him, that's a tuff job. Especially during disasters.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:29 AM

That's cool. With our weather, we appreciate those guys and what they do.

Best of luck to your son.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:33 AM

I had to look before this got taken down! Lol, I hope he's careful, that stuff is no joke!
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:39 AM

Companies are coming in and hiring the whole class. Very good trade.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:45 AM

Buddy from high school did that a few years and now took a job as a safety guy to go watch others climb poles. He said “im making more than i ever dreamed”. And he made a bunch before.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:57 AM

I have a friend who is a lineman. It can be a demanding job. But, depending on the company you work for, it can pay very well, have good perks and opportunities for advancement.

I wish your son the best. I know I don't do well in heat and high humidity.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 01:45 AM

Great to see a young guy with a plan. This post is a pretty good indication that you are proud of the boy, and you should be.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 01:48 AM

There must be demand as we just got top dollar for several truckloads of pole timber. I'm told the cupboard is bare and the power companies are screaming for poles.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 01:54 AM

Dang, was hoping for a "better pic" smile
But I digress. That's purdy cool.
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 02:04 AM

[Linked Image]
It’s been a living for me since line school in 2010. Supports my hunting, fishing, trapping habits pretty well. Best of luck to him and good choice, it’s an excellent career!

This picture is from doing our annual pole top rescue training every fall.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 02:08 AM

I put lineman up there with fireman, police and soldiers. I hope your son has a rewarding and safe career.

One of my best friends, Chad, who I've known for 39 years, has been a linesman for the last dozen or so. Chad won some of the linesman competitions.

Keith
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 02:08 AM

I haven't seen a guy climb a pole in years. They just ride up in a bucket around here.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 02:16 AM

Mad respect for those guys

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
I haven't seen a guy climb a pole in years. They just ride up in a bucket around here.

In the buckets because, we do 95% of the work energized, wearing thick rubber sleeves and gloves over a heavy F.R. long sleeved shirt, when it’s 100+ degrees in the summer, I’d prefer to climb more and do this less.

Honestly we HAVE to climb once a year to be pole top rescue certified, but the rest of the time depends on the job location. Some blind alleys or poles a truck can’t get too, but usually New builds are where we get to climb since it’s not energized until the very last of the job. Those are the fun jobs in a t shirt and leather gloves climbing poles and working wire.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 11:27 AM

Neighbor lost a tree and the line to the house last year. Watched a crew repair it, they climbed two poles to pull in the new line. Hats off to those guys working like that.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:26 PM

I climbed poles for 30 some years, did a lot of "stick" work as we had a lot of off road high voltage you couldn't "glove" from a pole. It is a great way to earn a living, allowed me to "retire" at 55. We didn't have a "school" back when I started in 70, I started on a 6 man crew. Your son has a head start from where things used to be---he'll do well!

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Fisher
I climbed poles for 30 some years, did a lot of "stick" work as we had a lot of off road high voltage you couldn't "glove" from a pole. It is a great way to earn a living, allowed me to "retire" at 55. We didn't have a "school" back when I started in 70, I started on a 6 man crew. Your son has a head start from where things used to be---he'll do well!

I thought you old timers just barehanded 2400 off the pole? Keep your gaff off of the pole ground haha
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I had to look before this got taken down! Lol, I hope he's careful, that stuff is no joke!

2x I was thinking a different pole.

The helicopter guys make over $100 per hr. Good choice.
Posted By: old243

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 01:35 PM

I was a lineman for 36 years. Excellant trade. When we got a bucket at our utility, it certainly improved safety. and productifity. Hiking up poles , isn't an easy way to make a livin , but it sure keeps you in shape. Good luck to your son. old243
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 03:32 PM

The 2400,4160 was about done when I got to be a Journeyman, converted to 12 KV , then some of the same circuits went up to 34.5 KV that is really "hot"-----wire got bigger, poles got higher, voltage went up----lineman had to get smarter!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Working the pole - 05/20/22 04:41 PM

The 2400,4160 was about done when I got to be a Journeyman, converted to 12 KV , then some of the same circuits went up to 34.5 KV that is really "hot"-----wire got bigger, poles got higher, voltage went up----lineman had to get smarter!

I've wondered just how hot some of those big tramission tower lines are when you can stand under them and hear them buzzing and crackling and all your electronics go haywire.

Would get nervous when the hounds got anywhere near one as the tracking collars are useless around those high voltage lines.

Re: Working the pole - 05/21/22 09:58 PM

I showed him the comments and he wanted to say thank you for the good luck wishes.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Working the pole - 05/21/22 10:29 PM

I've known at least three guys that worked for the power company through the years that got blowed off poles! It is almost always the fact that they made a mistake, but it still makes them very dead. Tell your son to never take a shortcut, and follow protocall at all times. That stuff isn't for the faint of heart, but it pays well! As it should, especially the call outs in the big thunder storms. Best of luck to the young man!
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Working the pole - 05/23/22 12:02 PM

Praying for his safety
Posted By: K52

Re: Working the pole - 05/23/22 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

I've wondered just how hot some of those big tramission tower lines are when you can stand under them and hear them buzzing and crackling and all your electronics go haywire.

Would get nervous when the hounds got anywhere near one as the tracking collars are useless around those high voltage lines.

You want to really hear them buzzing and crackling get under one when it’s snowing. Was trapping coyotes in a big pasture that a big transmission line ran through and it made you wonder.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Working the pole - 05/23/22 12:47 PM

I had the pleasure of working all three underground, distribution and transmission. I worked for a paving company and in the winter during layoff I would go to work for different companies and do grunt work. I made alot of friends and met some really great people. I still remember the frist time I skint out on a pole trying to learn to climb man at the splinters in my belly. Good luck to your son .

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 12:19 AM

Well he made it through it . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 12:21 AM

Outstanding! Tell the young man congratulations.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 02:14 AM

Nowadays climbing wooden utility poles is much safer. The cinch straps and auxiliary lines for transitioning over obstacles like stand off’s and comms attachments make it a bit more work than free climbing and belting off once at working height like I was taught.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 03:41 AM

Lots of respect for the men and women that keep us in electricity. I couldn't do it. I'm afraid of heights and electricity.
Have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about opening this thread in fear of seeing my ex wife.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

The new gps tracking collars are better for that, but less reliable elsewhere. I remember running around them with the old ones, and if it was snowing you couldn't hear the dogs over them crackling either.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 06:08 AM

I hope your son has a safe and enjoyable career. Linesman is a truly essential job. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the linesmen who brave terrible storms to bring power back to fellow Americans during one of the worst times in their lives.

One of my best friends, Chad, who I've known for 39 years, is a linesman. For a few years, he was winning many of the linesmen competitions.

Keith
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 09:56 AM

Working The Pole!! I thought it was going to be the Immortal,The One and Only SCUZZ TWITLY music video to kick off Friday
Posted By: run

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 11:23 AM

I hope your son has a long and safe career.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 11:52 AM

Until I was about 45, height and climbing did not bother me .Not sure if I finally got some common sense about it or just was not as agile as I had been in my younger days .Now if I am6 feet off the ground my knees are shaking and I am trying to finish whatever I am doing as fast as I can I am sure your son is being trained to do it right and do it safe Good luck to him.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 12:16 PM

Congrats and good luck in his career choice. We were required to go through pole climbing school and I did it the first few years but then ladders got a little lighter and longer and bucket trucks were more prevalent. They don’t really push climbing now once they figured out all the old timers had to have their knees and shoulders replaced. I’m guessing they still go through pole climbing, but I haven’t seen any hook a pole in years. My new title doesn’t even require it and I couldn’t tell you where my gaffs are if my life depended on it, lol.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:10 PM

VaBeagler You gave me my morning laugh
Posted By: swamp

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:17 PM

It is a great trade ! I have a lot of family that are lineman. He will make a great living, if he wants to travel, he can really make some serious money !! Best of luck to your son !!
Posted By: lcd

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:20 PM

Congrats. to you son Tommie. You got to be a proud PA PA.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Great to see a young guy with a plan. This post is a pretty good indication that you are proud of the boy, and you should be.

Amen to that
Posted By: old243

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:31 PM

Congratulations on completing lineman training. I remember completing , line school about 1970. Work safely,,plan your work and work your plan. That tailboard conference will keep you safe . If you are unsure of something, discuss it with, the crew members. Excellent trade , enjoy , take every course you can, as you gain knowledge you will move up the ladder. . old243
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 01:54 PM

Knew a lineman….he is now called “Lefty” Cuz his right arm got blown off. He can only drink long neck bottles of beer…and has custom silverware..so he can get food to his mouth. He traps with one arm too.

Those guys are tough workers up here in the snow and ice…when the power goes out. My hats off to those men and women .

Speaking of women…are there any line girls in his class ?

Re: Working the pole - 08/26/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Speaking of women…are there any line girls in his class ?

There was 2 women in that class , but I don’t remember where they was from I think around New York I will look tonight and update my post .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums