Home

Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks!

Posted By: Actor

Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/21/22 04:00 PM

Hey Guys and Gals... It seems that everyone has skunk problems and most are in situation that even a live trap would give rise to the skunks spraying, dogs, cats or humans.

I saw this trap advertised at Rural King and wondered if anyone had any experience with them... ??? And the second question is what do you find is your best bait that doesn't attract cats???

GARRY-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/21/22 04:15 PM

Hopefully LawDog will chime in; he's the skunk guru. I have a couple of the traps you've pictured, and I've probably caught 50-75 skunks in them. They're relatively expensive, but work very well for me. Not real easy to see inside of them and see what critter you've got. I've never had any problems with spraying while in these traps. Seems that marshmallows attract skunks but not cats.

Jack
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/21/22 04:32 PM

What Jack said marshmallows are the in town favorite carp steaks out in the country or if those cats need a quick hug!
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/21/22 06:41 PM

I'd use them more during the breeding season (cold) than summer time. Black, no air flow, torture in the heat. Otherwise they work fine, though I've only caught a couple in them. Mine are green.
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/21/22 10:30 PM

ive used the plasti catch traps for 30 years or more. Like them alot! Very easy to see whats inside . easy to turn skunks loose or give them a bath in it to drown them. Caught 3 skunks today, filled them up with the garden hose and pulled 100 ccs of essence. Great day and a great trap! As for bait, Night Owl Lures, Canine commitment pred bait is absolutely amazing on skunks 12 months out of the year.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/22/22 12:17 AM

Don't use peanut butter or anything that will attract squirrels. A squirrel can chew through the side of those plastic traps.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/22/22 12:45 AM

bananas or marshmallows. both have eye appeal & both will catch skunks
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/22/22 03:27 AM

I use those very traps a lot. I take the back off and install 1x1 wire instead of the solid back they are built with. Alot of the time I don't even bait them, place them along a wall or fence and the skunks will try to go through with the more open back. I also use them at positive sets where they come out from under decks, walls, or what ever they are under.
Skunks love to burrow under concrete slabs btw.
For bait I use marshmallows, eggs, or fruit loops. Those three will catch any skunk.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/22/22 01:05 PM

Funny this comes up but had a guy stop me in town wanting to know if I trapped skunks since he was having problems with them.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Skunks, skunks... Everyone has skunks! - 05/23/22 12:00 AM

butter popcorn works great
© 2024 Trapperman Forums