Home

Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time.

Posted By: Finster

Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 07:47 PM

Just machined the third firing pin for my 12ga Tri-Star over under. This is the third time the upper has failed. It's always the upper. It must be some kind of design flaw. The original lasted about 500 rounds and the metal was so soft, the back of the pin deformed. The first one I machined was out of a drill bit. That lasted a summer and broke. I then tried chrome-moly. That maybe lasted 1000 rounds. This time I used annealed 4140 steel and oil quenched it after machining. We will see how long this one lasts. Anyone else have a Tri-Star and have fixed this issue? It is common with this shotgun, but I haven't found a fix yet. I'm thinking of re-designing the firing pin next time and trying that.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 08:43 PM

Have you contacted Tri Star about this? Maybe they have a fix.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Have you contacted Tri Star about this? Maybe they have a fix.

A gun made in Turkey. I talked with the gun shop I bought it at. It's beyond common. All they do is replace pins for people. However, the pins are so soft that they don't last more than 500-1000 rounds. As far as I know, there is really no one to contact.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 09:31 PM

Ya used it too much when it was new
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 09:41 PM

Have you tried a grade 8 bolt? I made one for my H&R, so far so good.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 11:00 PM

If it’s breaking YOUR firing pins then maybe it’s not the pins The shells are sitting to close to it machine flaw or design but put 2 shells in it see if top shel sits higher Sometimes the simple problem is over looked But might not be it ?!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 11:25 PM

Quit dry firing it when the breech is open.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/21/22 11:43 PM

Tri-star = no good for shooting

Get yourself something more reliable and do away with the hassles.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 12:04 AM

From the description given, sounds like too soft from factory and deforms. Replace with hardened, it is brittle and breaks. Maybe try a material that you can case harden. That may give it enough hardness to prevent deformation without making it brittle.

I have made some out of drill rod without any heat treatment but these were not for guns that get a lot of use. They also did not have a long thin section either.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 12:10 AM

Trade it in for a WINCHESTER 101 !!

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/model-101/current/model-101-field.html
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 12:12 AM

https://www.tristararms.com/faqs/
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 12:46 AM

That’s very common in them . Back when my son shot trap there was one coach from another county that had his kids buy Tristar, because it’s a cheap gun to buy to start on and if they stick with it then trade off before next season starts up and buy a better gun . It seem that every shoot we went to one of his kids had to shoot another gun because of this problem . When I asked him about it he said the factory had sent him some pins to fix the broken ones but he found a machine shop to make a few extras for him just to have on hand .
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 01:20 AM

Thanks for posting on this. My youngest likes over and unders and I can not remove tri star from the list.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Thanks for posting on this. My youngest likes over and unders and I can not remove tri star from the list.

I have been looking for an O/U for some time. I have no desire to drop $3K on a gun of this type. After a year or so of handling and research, I am leaning towards a Weatherby Orion. Reviews are pretty good and it shoulders well and is well balanced for me. It is an "ugly" gun for an O/U, but I intend to use it in the field. Sooo, it might be my next gun purchase.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
If it’s breaking YOUR firing pins then maybe it’s not the pins The shells are sitting to close to it machine flaw or design but put 2 shells in it see if top shel sits higher Some

times the simple problem is over looked But might not be it ?!

There's your answer Finster whistle

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 03:33 AM

Did some digging on this Seems they have an issue not with the pin hardness but the pin retracting back after the firing When the gun is opened is what is breaking the pins The tolerances in the top pin channel must be off and ejector is hitting it as it isn’t allowing the pin to fall back enough out of the way
Posted By: Bob

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 06:04 AM

Throw that tri-star in the dumpster where it belongs and buy something decent. Browning, Winchester, Francii, Remington, benelli, even mossberg makes a better shotgun than tri-star.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 06:06 AM

Did some digging on this Seems they have an issue not with the pin hardness but the pin retracting back after the firing When the gun is opened is what is breaking the pins The tolerances in the top pin channel must be off and ejector is hitting it as it isn’t allowing the pin to fall back enough out of the way

Correct.cocking the gun retracts the pins.Some of those type guns (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and retract the firing pins when opening the breech to eject.
If you dry fire with the breech open then close it one or both the pins will be damaged.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Correct.cocking the gun retracts the pins.Some of those type guns (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and retract the firing pins when opening the breech to eject.
If you dry fire with the breech open then close it one or both the pins will be damaged.

Yep
Posted By: Posco

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
Throw that tri-star in the dumpster where it belongs and buy something decent. Browning, Winchester, Francii, Remington, benelli, even mossberg makes a better shotgun than tri-star.

Have to agree. I've owned just two O/U shotguns. A Ruger Red Label and a Berreta Onyx. The Ruger I found to be clunky but the Onyx was a very nice gun.

Probably not what you want to hear but cut your losses and buy a better gun.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 01:11 PM

I have never had a problem with my Browning Citori.
Posted By: white17

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I have never had a problem with my Browning Citori.

The Citori has a reputation for having firing pin and spring issues. You might need to shoot more laugh

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Bob

Have to agree. I've owned just two O/U shotguns. A Ruger Red Label and a Berreta Onyx. The Ruger I found to be clunky but the Onyx was a very nice gun.

Probably not what you want to hear but cut your losses and buy a better gun.

X3. I have a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon. Hands down the best I have ever used.

I also have a Franchi as a back-up . It's a utility type gun but never had a problem
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 04:04 PM

Being you machine your own, have you tried shortening it a few thousands.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 04:44 PM

White-those Berettas are nice. My next O/U will likely be one in 20.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 04:59 PM

Mine is a 20. I wish I had one in 410 too )))

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Being you machine your own, have you tried shortening it a few thousands.

I've tried shortening and lengthening them. The major problem is that I have only the beat up original pins to go by and have to "guesstimate" some actual dimensions. There is no drawing online that I have found.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 05:15 PM

Have you checked to make sure the pin is retracting all the way into the breech face when cocked ?

Are there any marks on the ejectors where they/it might be contacting the firing pin ?

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 05:16 PM

Won’t matter if the issue is they’re not being pulled in before making contact with the opening breech

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Have you checked to make sure the pin is retracting all the way into the breech face when cocked ?

Are there any marks on the ejectors where they/it might be contacting the firing pin ?

I'll have to make sure.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 08:45 PM

Are they manually retracted or springs? Both?

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Mine is a 20. I wish I had one in 410 too )))

I had the twenty, Ken. I've always been partial to side-by-sides with double triggers. I kept stabbing for the rear trigger that wasn't there. I guess I'm not a very adaptable creature. I sold it. Excellent gun in all other respects.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 10:06 PM

So I wasn't happy with the length of my new pins. I believe they were too long. I ground them down a bit and test fired. The primer strikes are not very deep, but I'll give it a go and see how long they last.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/22/22 10:42 PM

Looks deep enough to me. I hope they last for you.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/23/22 12:24 AM

If the pin is contacting the ejector as the breech opens, could the ejector be ground a bit to cure the problem?

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/23/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
If the pin is contacting the ejector as the breech opens, could the ejector be ground a bit to cure the problem?

It's not contacting when the breech is opened.

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/23/22 01:02 AM

If anyone has one of these and want's the drawings for the pins, here they are. Some sizes are an educated guess from the deformed pins I had. If you decide to use these drawings, I would custom fit the length of the tip to fit your gun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/23/22 03:11 AM

I got a little 20ga Tristar, a guy was selling it for $200 so I bought it. Haven’t had an issue, yet, lol. I use it for early dove season and wood duck shoots. Nothing fancy about it at all, but it shoots straight. Guess I need to go ahead and order some pins for it to be on the safe side. I know it has at least 500+ rounds through it because I went through two cases last dove season, lol.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Tri-Star Firing pin 4th time. - 05/23/22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
As far as I know, there is really no one to contact.

If you called Tristar you would find their customer service is phenomenal. You will speak to someone in Kansas City and they will fix your problem. Good luck
© 2024 Trapperman Forums