Home

18.33 yards

Posted By: MJM

18.33 yards - 05/21/22 11:03 PM

I saw a strip ground squirrel when I sat down to eat. So I grabbed the .22 pellet rifle. An after the shot measurement, with my Stanley 35 range finder put him at 18.33 yards. The pellet gun is a Benjamin Predator break barrel. The trigger was so bad when I got it, I shot it about five time and was figuring I would never shoot it again. I went on U tube and found a video on how to do a trigger job by adding an axel bearing for a remote control car. You just take the gun out of the stock and slip the bearing over a pin, put the gun back in the stock and it is good to go. The trigger has no slack or creep and is light. I turned the gopher dog out and she put the crunch on him for good measures. I head shot him, so it wasn't really needed. That was number two for the year in the yard. They are hard on the garden, so they pay when I see them in the yard.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Marty

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/21/22 11:09 PM

Nice.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 02:23 AM

That's either a big "gopher" or a smaller dog, maybe both...
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 03:34 AM

Mark, you get a new companion? Thought I heard you say you could never replace Dusty, but I get it! Good to see ya with a dog....we all need one or several!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 03:44 AM

Awesome
Posted By: DWC

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 03:46 AM

My dog got some kill action the other day as well. I was pickin up branches from the derecho that went through last week. I tossed a 5 footer end over end into the grove and immediately a rabbit started jumpin and runnin in circles. Either nailed it just right on the noggin or busted a foot. Ole’ Macy the lab/springer mix came in hard for the crunch and drop.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 12:19 PM

That's one way to flush out game... grin

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Mark, you get a new companion? Thought I heard you say you could never replace Dusty, but I get it! Good to see ya with a dog....we all need one or several!

We had the weaner dog while I had Dusty. I have been watching for a pup, but have mixed feeling about getting one. I don't know if I would use it enough to do right by the dog. They need used, and used hard is best.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 12:35 PM

Loki has picked up two stripped gophers, a pocket gopher and a woodchuck on his own so far this year. Nice having a good hunting companion. [Linked Image]
Here's a cottontail he got last winter. Still not sure how he did that.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/22/22 12:45 PM

That's a BIG cottontail!

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/24/22 09:03 PM

My trusty gopher hound, Remington just said she saw a gopher. I look out and there it is. So I grab the .22 pellet rifle and slip out. She was going nuts in the house. It was a close shot, close enough I had to crank down to three power. I did not dig the Stanley range finder out, but I would guess 9 yards.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/24/22 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

We had the weaner dog while I had Dusty. I have been watching for a pup, but have mixed feeling about getting one. I don't know if I would use it enough to do right by the dog. They need used, and used hard is best.

Yeah I know, bud. My Baby dog didn't get any action this winter, and just got fat and lazy, but she is my dog and I love her quirks! The dog won't hate you for not going hard, they just accommodate their master. Got to love them dogs, truly our best friend!

Re: 18.33 yards - 05/25/22 02:51 AM

Lee Dusty accommodated himself mainly. The only reason it work, is he did, was what I wanted, because it was what he wanted. He would hunt. He did not care who with, he hunted and let me go along. If I went with someone and we split up, he went where he thought the game was, even if I was going in a different direction. But I figured I was better off to follow the dog, since he knew more than I did. Why would you hunt with a dog that didn't know more?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums