Home

Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes

Posted By: Canvasback2

Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 11:02 AM

A Pack of Camel Cigarettes is $11.96. If you are a pack a day smoker, that works out to $ 83.72 EVERY WEEK!!

Multiple that by 52 weeks, and that means you spent $4353.4 in ONE YEAR ON CIGARETTES!!

But, complain about spending $4,353.44 on a brand new Shotgun ???

Does not make sense!!
Posted By: DRF

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 11:27 AM

I bought a 12 gauge pump Remington shotgun prolly 30 plus years ago for around 250 300 bucks I believe that I still use. What kind of a shotgun cost over 4 grand?
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 11:34 AM

One of those fancy ones that people don't hunt with.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 11:39 AM

Not to mention , the damage they are doing to your health !!!
I have severe COPD , from 40 years of smoking , probably 2 packs a day ...
Now I cant hunt the mountains and do the things I enjoy ....

You could almost make a new truck payment, for what cigarettes cost today.. crazy money 💰
I quit almost 10 years ago , but a lot of damage was done by then ...now I'm just trying to stay off the oxygen machine ..

I don't mean to preach to you all , but I wish now , I would have listened back then ...
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 11:56 AM

I know a few people in this area years ago that quit smoking and put the same money away. At the end of the year went and paid cash for atv.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 12:02 PM

4 grand is about half way to a very nice thermal with night vision overlay...

To me the gun is a necessity, smoking is not. But a 200$ shotgun works just fine. I don't see me ever spending more than 1500 on one. Infact the gum I have been hunting with I paid $50 for. It's an old beat up savage 311 i bought from my wifes grandmother after her grandfather died. He got the gun at 11 years old and used it for years to feed the family. Needless to say it is rough.

But I can see me buying a cz premier compact for about 1000$ for my youngest that's 9 and a winchester sx4 for my 11 year old that's about the same price.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 12:07 PM

Even cheap cigars are expensive now but the real expensive part was the heard surgery. I could have gone on safari for what that cost me.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
A Pack of Camel Cigarettes is $11.96. If you are a pack a day smoker, that works out to $ 83.72 EVERY WEEK!!

Multiple that by 52 weeks, and that means you spent $4353.4 in ONE YEAR ON CIGARETTES!!

But, complain about spending $4,353.44 on a brand new Shotgun ???

Does not make sense!!

Put that money in a growth mutual fund for thirty years. That's a decent chunk for retirement that some people put in their lungs. Yowser.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 12:20 PM

After 32 stupid years, I quit dipping almost a year ago. I spent about $2400 a year on it (at 2021 prices).

I used the savings from quitting to justify the purchase of guns, reloading equipment, tools, trapping gear, etc. I did not keep track of these purchases but know I spent way more than $2400 in celebrating my new willpower.

At least I have something to show for it!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2

Is that what they cost now? They cost about $1.75 per pack when I quit back in the mid 90s. I remember telling the wife that I would quit if they ever reached two dollars a pack…
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 01:09 PM

I started smoking in 6th grade. Quit when I was 33 cause cigarettes were a dollar a pack. Chewed Levi Garett. Just quit that about 3 years ago. Started chewing Copenhagen when I was about 15. Switched to Levi Garett in my 20's cause my wife complained about the taste. When I quit the Copenhagen my cigarette use went way up. Was up to 3 packs a day some days when I quit. Anyway I like tobacco. A lot. Never made me sick. Even when I smoked a cigar at 3. Yes 3. Dad was given one by a guy who was a new father. I kept asking him about it. Told me I could smoke it cause he figured I would get sick. I did not. I liked it. Uncle gave me a chew of days work plug when I was 8. Same thing. I didnt get sick I liked it. going without tobacco really stinks. If a DR tells me I only got a few days or months left I am straight away buying a pack of Marlboro and a can of Copenhagen.

Smoking has affected my lungs. I have a mild case of COPD now. Use an inhaler. I dont want to know how bad it would be if I hadn't quit. If you dont already use it dont start. If you do make up your mind its going to be miserable and just quit. Tapering off dont work. Have to just toss it out the window and be miserable for awhile. Otherwise the misery you go through is going to be lots worse.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 03:50 PM

I quit smoking cigarettes 19 years ago. Glad I bought lots and lots of guns and ammo through the decades before all these idiotic laws became reality where I live. But spending 4 thou on a shot gun seems almost as dumb as smoking does to me now
Posted By: charles

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 04:26 PM

Mother-in-law spent five days in hospital. She is 96. We live 4-hours away. Wife has a sister 2 miles from her mom. Sister could not sit with mom in hospital because the sister needs to go outside to smoke a cig every thirty minutes, while mom is near death on the 5th floor.

The power of tobacco addiction is very strong. Stronger that a mother’s love.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 04:34 PM

Lots of folks make some funny choices, they won’t go to the Doctor because it’s expensive but then buy bling they don’t really need.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 05:27 PM

Their plan is working. Tax the living heck out them to force compliance.

Bet it will work on guns and ammo if they put high enough sin taxes on it and let idiots sue the manufacturers

Smoke ‘em if you have ‘em boys. Might be your last chance.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 06:50 PM

I started dipping in high school, about '68, and continued for 30 or so years. I quit after two oral surgeries that transplanted roof of mouth tissue to lower lips because of being eaten out by the tobacco. Been tobacco free ever since. Hard thing to do, quitting, it's a very addicting disease.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 06:59 PM

It’s not a disease. It’s a choice that turns into an addiction. No different than any other drug.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 07:49 PM

I glanced at cigs the other day and they were 6-7 dollars a pack. NY sin tax must be mighty high.
I bought cigs as a kid for 25 cents a pack. That was in the early 60s.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 07:55 PM

Generic brand cigarettes only cost $2.70 down here.
Posted By: charles

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 09:03 PM

Easier to slowly die of cancer at that price.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I know a few people in this area years ago that quit smoking and put the same money away. At the end of the year went and paid cash for atv.

Exactly what I did. I quit the day my first grandson was born, he's 19 years old now. Set aside cigarette money for a long time, bought lots of toys with my tobacco $$$$
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/22/22 10:03 PM

When i got discharged fm Marine Corp i bought 50 cartons of Camel non filter cigs.....cost ..... $5.00 ..... smoked for a couple years, quite when i started xc skiing. I check traps on skiis for years also used snowshoes. When i got a bit older 70 some i used snomo, saved energy for chiseling thru 2 foot of ice bvering !
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 12:44 AM

Both are out of my price range. I own 8 fire arms and their total value or purchase price was not close to $4.300 and I have had a lot of enjoyment with them. I did smoke for 21 years, but quit 32 years ago.

Bryce
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 02:01 AM

I have a co-worker who kept talking about buying a shotgun , no kidding he would talk about going to dinner with his wife getting a bottle of wine and dropping 200 for dinner and tip. when he came back to work Monday morning.
Or about buying cases of a 20 dollar a bottle wine

dude , just skip one fancy dinner and have a tool for a life time

but 300 for a mossberg (probably 10-12 years ago) he himmed and hawed about for a few years , finally he bough his brothers Mossberg 500 from him.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

Grandma quit when smokes went up to 25 cents a pack save quarters in a jar for 2 years and bought a mink coat she was still wearing it a few years ago.

if it helps you quit it is good

well and a fur coat is always good
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by white dog
It’s not a disease. It’s a choice that turns into an addiction. No different than any other drug.

Tru t h
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 04:24 AM

I would wager that poor diet kills more than smoking cigarettes.
I started young watching the Marlboro man on TV and smoked cigarettes ,cigars and chewed but quit about ten years ago.
All my friends smoke and have yet to see one die of smoking but I am sure their days are numbered just like mine.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 10:17 AM

Glad I quit, I think cigarettes were around $4.00 a pack when I quit.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Complain about cost of new Gun, not not Cigarettes - 05/23/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Not to mention , the damage they are doing to your health !!!

Especially if you blow smoke in my face!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums