Home

Morel Mushroom ???

Posted By: Jurassic Park

Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 06:10 PM

I’ve gone looking for Morel’s in the past and have found exactly 0 mushrooms.

Today I seen a couple Manitoba guys finding some Morels. They were huge and small. Black and Common Morels.

So I decided to take an hour off the couch and see what I could find behind the house.

Here’s what I found.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’m not sure what type of Morel they are. Are these the Half Free Morel? I didn’t pick them, just left them hoping they will be night snack one day soon!
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 06:36 PM

im not sure what "type" they are, but those are morels. grab em!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:19 PM

Look like the ones I find here-black morels I believe.
They look like they are just popping up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:37 PM

I’m going to check on them in a few days and see how big they are. Found about 20 of them.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:39 PM

They might be dried up and gone in a few days.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
They might be dried up and gone in a few days.

Really, that fast? It’s pretty damp out there right now.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:50 PM

In most cases, it's best to pick morels when you find them. Some do get bigger, but most won't. There is plenty of animals and people in the woods to eat or take morels, if you leave them.

Keith

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 07:50 PM

In Nebraska if you see one you better get it as they don't last long. MB might be different.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 08:00 PM

Ok good to know. These ones should be pretty safe since they are about 30 seconds from my front door and on my property. But they might not be safe from animals or drying out. I’ll keep an eye on them daily and see if they grow and pick them.
Obviously they grow bigger than this, they are roughly 1 1/2”. Not the end of the world if they disappear or shrivel up. Kinda fun to see how they progress each day.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 08:03 PM

We came across several while hunting Washington. Just left them for those that want them.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 08:18 PM

They are all over the place here alongside all the old grown in logging roads,guess they do well where there is rotting corduroy.
Very few if any people picks them here.They only last a couple or three weeks.
If I'm bearhunting I pick a couple bags,but dont go out of my way to get them
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 09:05 PM

JP…….is the cap and stem attached……..looks to me like you could pull the tops off of those….
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/22/22 11:56 PM

yep found 5 today
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 12:28 AM

There just getting going here in the woods,took a 15 minute walk through my woods and saw 20 some we will pick some Friday.My brother has been finding many on 2.3 year old clear cuts where the sun has warm up the soil quicker,he's well over a thousand so far,he's been out 3 times.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 12:52 AM

The finest spots I have seen are places along the river that had burned the previous year. Don't know what it is.....

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Supergoose
JP…….is the cap and stem attached……..looks to me like you could pull the tops off of those….

I’m not sure. I’ll take a look at them tomorrow and see. Think I’ll cut one in half and see what I’m dealing with. Looked at some pics online and think I have a good idea on what a false morel is now.

Originally Posted by rick olson
There just getting going here in the woods,took a 15 minute walk through my woods and saw 20 some we will pick some Friday.My brother has been finding many on 2.3 year old clear cuts where the sun has warm up the soil quicker,he's well over a thousand so far,he's been out 3 times.

Nice! That’s a lot of mushrooms! We have lots of clear cuts and burns, so I’m sure I’ll hit the mother load if I give it an honest effort.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:21 AM

Mine here are starting up. Always the black morels.

As Keith mentioned, I too have watched them and why some get huge and others don't, I'll never figure why. So I just basically pick them as I find them, unless they are so small that Ill leave them. Nothing else likes them, deer, elk, my wild turkeys, bear, they all leave them alone.

No one picks out in these woods so I have the forest to myself, as well as my own place.

These I found just on part of my place this afternoon. I'll go back out later and get more. I like to dry them , store them in glass containers, and use them all through the year.
[Linked Image]

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:21 AM

I think morels are the easiest mushroom to positively identify.
Just dont eat any toadstools,you might start to hallucinate.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:37 AM

Boco I working in the game preserve and haven't seen any along the old rd I am brushing. Hmm.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:43 AM

I dont think they are out here yet.usually end of may begin june.
Do you usually see them down that way this time of year?
Are the bears out there yet?One was spotted here last week.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:46 AM

OK I will keep my eye open for them. I am working about 4 km north east of Greenhill lake

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 02:56 AM

Hey Sharon those Morels look awesome! Even though I’ve never tried them, I think I’ll like them! Hoping to find some just like that!

Boco, I’m sure if I found a Morel the size of a pine cone it would be easy to identify. These little babies with a long stem are throwing me off. I don’t know if this is how they start off and fill in the stem or if these are false morels, or the half free morel. I just don’t know for sure. But I am intrigued by these and I enjoy the hunt!

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 03:02 AM

The head and stem are all one piece and they are completely hollow.That is your positive identifying factors.(in conjunction with the way they look)
I like them sliced and fried in butter.
Some people soak them in salt water to remove the little beasties that live in them,i just slice them in half lengthwise,rinse and into the frypan.
if you like "mushroom flavour" you will love the morels.
Posted By: Cibarius

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 03:15 AM

Just make sure the stem is connected at the bottom rim of the cap. If it is connect to the cap inside,and the cap hangs like a skirt, you have verpas. Verpas will also have what looks like cotton or spider webs in the stem. Verdad will give you a bad bellyache.

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 11:09 PM

I went back today to check on those mushrooms. The cap popped off real easy. I won’t eat these things. I want those big ones every one else seems to find.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/23/22 11:23 PM

I was afraid of that……..Good call on the not eating
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Morel Mushroom ??? - 05/24/22 12:08 AM

Added insect protein in one of those caps. fungus gnats
Your quail would love eating them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums