Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 02:44 PM

They're really set on this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 02:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 02:52 PM

Same here, and squirrels are wearing them.out already!

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 03:04 PM

Same here, and squirrels are wearing them.out already!

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 03:13 PM

Yep.seems like every squirrel in the country is on yhe trees. There are 8 big trees. Hopefully they'll be a few left for us
Posted By: Craig Acton

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 03:52 PM

I've always placed a bed sheet under the tree and collet them that way when they ripen. Could never have enough at the farmer stand.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 04:05 PM

There's a bumper crop of mulberries forming here too. The pollen from the male mulberry trees covered the ground like a lightly greenish yellow flour. Both of us had very bad allergies to the pollen this year. I'm going to cut down about 20 mulberry trees that are close to the two bedroom windows, this Fall, to reduce the pollen in the future. Mulberry trees can be male, female or even change sex. The ones closest to the house stay almost all male.

Keith

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Acton
I've always placed a bed sheet under the tree and collet them that way when they ripen. Could never have enough at the farmer stand.

Same here. Yhe bedsheets.

Do both male and female trees bear fruit?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 07:41 PM

I have 17 trees,,loaded......we use them what the birds dont get.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
There's a bumper crop of mulberries forming here too. The pollen from the male mulberry trees covered the ground like a lightly greenish yellow flour. Both of us had very bad allergies to the pollen this year. I'm going to cut down about 20 mulberry trees that are close to the two bedroom windows, this Fall, to reduce the pollen in the future. Mulberry trees can be male, female or even change sex. The ones closest to the house stay almost all male.

Keith

Those trees would get along fine here in Oregon then. LOL
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 07:52 PM

They're great smashed up and poured over pancakes!

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Originally Posted by Craig Acton

Same here. Yhe bedsheets.

Do both male and female trees bear fruit?

Only female and hermaphroditic mulberry trees bear fruit. Hermaphroditic mulberry trees are uncommon. Mulberry trees can change sex, but mostly don't unless the conditions around them change. More sun is one of the conditions that causes male mulberry trees to turn female.

I like mulberries and mulberry wood is by far my favorite wood to grill on.

Keith
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:02 PM

Quail got 99% of mine, I checked today and they’re gone !

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler

Keith

Those trees would get along fine here in Oregon then. LOL

Carl, do you have mulberry trees out in Oregon?

They are one of the most common trees on my farm. Almost any sunny area, where softbill birds land and poop here, has mulberry trees pop up.

If you want some mulberry trees, I'll send you some.

Keith

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by YamaCat

Deer here keep the trees pruned to as high as deer can reach on their back legs. The browse lines down fence rows look like they were cut by a master gardener. The deer eat berries, leaves stems and smaller branches.

Keith

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:09 PM

Mulberries are great carp bait. The carp stack up under the mulberry trees when they are dropping their berries in the water.

Keith
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:30 PM

Good place to catch coons too!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 09:50 PM

Last year we had tons of mulberries but we had so much rain they had very little flavor. Weren't worth eating. Worried it might be the same this year. Everything eat the mulberries here. Even the coyotes feast on them.

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 10:01 PM

All the mulberry trees must be females at hearts because they are all.loaded with berries
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 10:47 PM

Mulberries are great carp bait. The carp stack up under the mulberry trees when they are dropping their berries in the water.

Keith

Catfish too. I like to soak canned sweet corn kernels in mulberry mash. Then fish with the kernels after a day or so. They turn purple and catch both Catfish and Carp like crazy under overhanging mulberry trees when the berries are dropping.

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 10:53 PM

I'd rather have quail than mulberries.
Haven't even heard one here in at least 10 years
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/23/22 11:04 PM

Neighbor has 2 mulberry trees, and they are at an angle. Every year 2 grey fox run up the tree and feast on the berries.

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 01:06 AM

Everything around here eats mulberries while there in season, including us. As well as squirrels, coons, muskrats, birds, fish, even my dogs!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 01:57 AM

Storms last Saturday evening knocked most of mine off our tree. There are still a few on it though.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 03:06 AM

Squirrel season opens here Saturday.
They’ll be paying rent.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 03:14 AM

You've got quail? Man you are lucky, used to bird hunt after school and get my limit. Now can't flush my limit in a hunting season.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by VaBeagler

You've got quail? Man you are lucky, used to bird hunt after school and get my limit. Now can't flush my limit in a hunting season.

Lots of Quail. But they are all in town.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 02:06 PM

Ours have not budded out yet we're not frost free yet. Our mulberry trees look dead till the 1sr on 2nd week of June then they pop. It's amazing how fast they leaf out then bear fruit.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 02:25 PM

Was a mulberry tree that over hanged the Papakating Creek by me. Every year there were carp and snapping turtles there just grabbing every berry that fell. My son tied a fly that looked like a mulberry and he and his friends caught carp on their flyrods by the tree. It was a blast! Tree was cut down to build a new bridge at the location. Carp and snappers also go for choke cherry trees along the water. I have trapped a lot of snappers under choke cherry trees.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 02:41 PM

Got a mulberry tree in my yard. Wont be long my yard will have purple stained kids in it. Have seen deer, coons, possums and red fox in the yard eating them. Squirrels get a few but they really show up when the pecans are ripe.

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 02:54 PM

We had a bumper crop last year. Still have jelly and syrup left. I use my long boat hook to lightly shake select branches with tarp under. Gang holding tarp just moves around tree with me. Shaking too hard makes the unripe berries and sticks etc fall. Light shake or bump makes mostly the rip stuff fall.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 03:36 PM

Those ok yummy and the gloves are an excellent idea!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Mulberry bumper crop - 05/24/22 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
Squirrel season opens here Saturday.
They’ll be paying rent.

Amen Bra!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums