Home

Sure hope I can trap this fall

Posted By: foxkidd44

Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 11:38 AM

As most of us are painfully aware,,, the cost of everything keeps rising… most of us won’t be able to keep gas in the truck to run traps this fall,,, we really have no local guy to sell fur to for gas .
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 11:40 AM

Gonna be rough .
Posted By: 080808

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 12:13 PM

I’m going to trap especially coon in hopes of helping the duck population. Trap coon for gas money.??
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 12:28 PM

The last few years everyone I know has asked me if I make any money trapping.
I tell everyone of them that if you can make enough to pay your gas bill doing something you love your doing good.

So far I have accomplished that and even making a little profit.
This coming season could be a rough.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 12:32 PM

Hopefully most trappers dont sell fur to the traditional buyer or auction. Sell tanned skins to tourists or make crafts or garments. Trap to protect calves or deer or ducks or quail or sweet corn and bury their catch unskinned.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 01:25 PM

Might try a canoe water line, you can water & land trap cheap that way if you are near a creek or river.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 10:36 PM

I’m still going to try to find a way to get a few sets out,,,,, I simply have got to be out there to catch something. It might be no more than 5-10 sets.. but dang it!!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
As most of us are painfully aware,,, the cost of everything keeps rising… most of us won’t be able to keep gas in the truck to run traps this fall,,, we really have no local guy to sell fur to for gas .

To help you keep enjoying trapping cheaply you can try just trapping a farm or two, limiting your gas. With the fur prices low you can try tanning the furs & selling them for more at flea markets or to people that do craft shows. Here in PA i know a hand full of trappers who trap farms just to get deer hunting permission. Keep trapping
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/26/22 11:36 PM

When I was growing up all my trapping was done on a bicycle!
Run a small local line and get fit in the process. Skin your critters out on the line and carry everything in rear tire paper baskets. My trapping partner back then even had the basket on the handle bars. If someone called him a sissy for it they got skunk essence or fox urine spray.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 12:58 AM

I will trap more coons this year just like I use to trap possums for gas money.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 01:01 AM

If you can't run a full line. At least set a few. It does the mind well. Sarge
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 01:06 AM

So if you don’t trap does that mean you don’t use your vehicle at all? I mean do you just use it for trapping?
I don’t see how y’all guys do it anyways for free.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 01:12 AM

Where there is a will there is a way.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 02:37 AM

I will find a way to run at least some traps. Might be a short line close to home but it’ll be something
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 12:39 PM

If you're so broke you can't afford gas for trapping, you should be looking for a real side job.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 01:24 PM

My plan for this season is to add some more traps to the line! Maybe extend my line again. As much as it’ll hurt at the pump, it isn’t going to stop me.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 02:06 PM

I don’t see how y’all guys do it anyways for free. [/quote]
Same way we go fishing for "free"
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper1978
My plan for this season is to add some more traps to the line! Maybe extend my line again. As much as it’ll hurt at the pump, it isn’t going to stop me.

Pretty much what I'm thinking too.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 03:01 PM

Are you going to dig some common roots this year??...........I did better on the roots than fur........
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/27/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

I don’t see how y’all guys do it anyways for free.

Same way we go fishing for "free"[/quote]
I meant not get paid for your time or critters caught.
Posted By: Budzmtn

Re: Sure hope I can trap this fall - 05/28/22 10:53 AM

This year will be my first season. I will be trying to remove some of the predators on our family farm in Potter County, Pa.
Our turkey population is very low. Our cameras have a couple of coyotes monthly. Each spring we see 2-3 coyotes with fawns on the cameras.
I’ll be heading up for two weeks. Bear season and the first week of deer season and plan to trap during those two weeks.

In Va. too many pets around to do much trapping. I’ll just be setting DP’s to try and remove nest raiders on the property we turkey hunt. Walking distance from the house.

Fuel is killing me for work right now. I commute 53 miles each way daily. I’m hoping my company picks up some work closer to home soon.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums