Home

Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like?

Posted By: Finster

Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 06:51 PM

Usually I buy Oregon chains. I was just wondering what other brands people prefer and why? I'm running a 20", 3/8, .050 Semi Chisel, Semi Skip
Posted By: charles

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 06:54 PM

Only brand I know is Oregon.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:01 PM

It depends on the saw / bar combination ....... For general messing around. I use a 063 full chisel full comp Archer chain that I buy on a roll and spin up my own. For milling I use a modified 050 full chisel Stihl chain. All of them 3/8"...... Bar length from 18 to 36" Mostly the 36" Tsumura light bar.
On the little saw a semi chisel 050 325.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:11 PM

Anything but Stihl. It's hard and eats up my files.
Have grinder but rarely use it.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:11 PM

I sharpened 20 chains this morning. I like the Stihl chains better than Oregon chains (I use Echo saws). We do quite a bit of chainsaw work.

The Stihl seem to hold up better.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Anything but Stihl. It's hard and eats up my files.
Have grinder but rarely use it.

Our posts crossed. I switched to a grinder a few years ago.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:13 PM

Stihl chains, especially when I can catch them on Sale.

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:41 PM

My grinder is a free Hazard Fright model.
I use it for rocked chains but don't have much faith in it.

For semichiz I was liking Carlton chain but the supplier I liked retired, and I do not see it.
I liked the Archer ok too. Like Scoob said, it depends.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:42 PM

Stihl saw and stihl chains.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:42 PM

less about who and more about what type of chain for me

I prefer full chisel with semi chisel being next I want nothing to do with your safety chain low kick back stuff

Carlton , Oregon , woodland pro which is basically a rebranded carlton sold by Baylies online , and huskivarna are all good chains I don't own Stihls any more and they only sell the low kick back stuff at the lcoal dealer

I hand file my own once I have filed it I am not sure I can tell any difference between the Carlton and oregon the local saw shop carries spools of either depending on the day and what he could get for stock.

I am 3/8 .058 on my saws so I only need one chain
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:43 PM

If you're running a 20 inch bar or longer switch to a full skip.

I run three types of chains.

My favorite is stihl yellow chains, yes you almost need a grinder to keep them sharp. I also like the Husquvarna X-cuts. The majority of my chains our oregon - they are cheap, soft, and i feel they need the most attention. I have considered switching my chains to carbides, but the $200 i would have to spend on the grinding wheel to keep them sharp has made me not switch.

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 07:59 PM

Can I ask, what is an easy way out of the low pro on a ms 170?
Not impressed with that chain at all.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 08:37 PM

I feel full skip or even semi skip chains are not for saws running smaller bars then 24”. I’d run full comp full chisel chain. Husky chain and Oregon are nice both made in the same factory Oregon owned unless that’s changed. I like stihls yellow or there super square ground. Get a couple loops of square ground and a few good files you’ll never go back to round. Square cuts way faster. Stihl chains are harder on files but I buy files by the ten pack. For dirty wood semi chisel shines for it can take a little more abuse. But all in all keep your chain sharp and they all do pretty well. But stihl chain comes out the box sharper stays sharp longer unless you rock it and the chain life seem to be longer then other brands just imo.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 08:41 PM

I like Oregon chain on my 20" bar Huskvarna. Seems to me the chain tooth is longer and will take a lot of sharpening before it is toast. Economical and available too. I am no pro, though!

Chris
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine
If you're running a 20 inch bar or longer switch to a full skip.

I run three types of chains.

My favorite is stihl yellow chains, yes you almost need a grinder to keep them sharp. I also like the Husquvarna X-cuts. The majority of my chains our oregon - they are cheap, soft, and i feel they need the most attention. I have considered switching my chains to carbides, but the $200 i would have to spend on the grinding wheel to keep them sharp has made me not switch.

Skip chains kick back bad if you try to make plunge cuts, I always plunge cut when sawing down trees over 24". gives me added security when working alone in the woods.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 10:51 PM

Can I ask, what is an easy way out of the low pro on a ms 170?
Not impressed with that chain at all.

There isn't really an option for a better chain on a ms170. That saw is specifically designed for home owners, and it really wouldn't have enough power to turn a more aggressive chain if there was an option.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 11:09 PM

That little 170 does not have the oomph to run a chain with higher chip clearance volume. I could however make you an adapter to turn it into a margarita mixer grin

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 11:27 PM

Thanks guys. It'll probably get sold to a Stihl is great fan lol.
Posted By: run

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/29/22 11:47 PM

Thanks guys. It'll probably get sold to a Stihl is great fan lol.

LOL.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 12:16 AM

ive tried a couple of the archer chains on my husky 372xp & so far they seem to hold up just as good as the oregons ive used in the past, i buck about 7 to 10 cord of mixed hardwood a year. 20" 3/8 .058 gauge full chisel.
they were quite a bit cheaper but it looks like the price has gone up quite a bit like everything else.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 12:49 AM

I use Oregon round ground full chisel on my saws.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 12:56 AM

Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 01:15 AM

I haven't noticed much difference from brand to brand. So, I go with the best price.

I cut a LOT of wood; a lot of dirty wood. So, I go with a semi-chisel, full skip chain. Since they get dull quick, the full skip sharpens in half the time; and cuts a lot quicker. Pretty cut? Who cares? it's all firewood, Anything else gets special treatment.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 01:59 AM

Not fussy,they all do what I need after I sharpen them correctly.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 11:36 AM

I cut wood professionally for a long time and I prefer the stihl chain, it makes a wider cut and binds less as the chain wears, less binding keeps your bar in better shape, I would like to see the same test with a 50% and 75% worn chain.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 12:29 PM

I have Stihl saws and run Stihl and Oregon chains
2 Farm Boss (18" bars) and a 009 I inherited from my grandad with 14" bar

Next time I have to buy new chains I will look at some of the options mentioned here
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 12:47 PM

Stihl sawchain is great but almost twice the cost of Oregon. I use both and have a carbide chain for flushing stumps because of the dirty environment. Rapco will sharpen carbide chains and replace broken teeth.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 01:04 PM

I have run them all , and stick with Stihl , never really liked Oregon chain , Carlton seem Ok and have some offshore suppliers ,but archer is made in china so its out for me. In filing we went with PFERD files made in Germany there fast and aggressive , just what i like when the skidders are both inbound.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/30/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
less about who and more about what type of chain for me

I prefer full chisel with semi chisel being next I want nothing to do with your safety chain low kick back stuff

Carlton , Oregon , woodland pro which is basically a rebranded carlton sold by Baylies online , and huskivarna are all good chains I don't own Stihls any more and they only sell the low kick back stuff at the lcoal dealer

I hand file my own once I have filed it I am not sure I can tell any difference between the Carlton and oregon the local saw shop carries spools of either depending on the day and what he could get for stock.

I am 3/8 .058 on my saws so I only need one chain

I've only ever ran Stihl chains so I can't comment on other brands of chain. But when I bought my Farm Boss it had that crappy safety chain on it with the bright green marker link... Didn't take long for it come off and go in the trash. When I bought a real chain the guy at the dealership told me I needed to be more careful... Higher chance of kickback... Yada yada yada...

And he was right. That chain takes a bit more attention and care to be safe... But not exceedingly so. And it's the chain I used to teach my boys to run a saw. We went through simple procedures and I set things up so they would experience a kickback. But I told them to expect it and taught them how to control the saw.

Little bit of care, attention, and common sense goes a long way. And getting things done makes me happy.

Mike
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Chainsaw Chains. Who do you like? - 05/31/22 01:32 AM

I don't consider a chain to be sharp until I've sharpened it. The test above only shows who's chain was sharpest from the factory.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums