Home

Strawberry planting questions.

Posted By: MNRATMAN

Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 04:34 PM

What are people's thoughts on planting strawberries in conjunction with using landscaping fabric?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Mnratman
Posted By: warrior

Re: Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 04:38 PM

Down here all the pick your own are done in annual raised beds covered in plastic with drip tape. Ripped out in June and replanted in winter.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 05:26 PM

Should work.
Since this Is a new planting once the mother plant starts producing runners you need to get them pinned down to start your rows. To encourage a good root system your should pick off all the blossoms. Then cover with straw In the winter to protect from winter kill.
No strawberries the first year,
Posted By: Clark

Re: Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 05:48 PM

I have a certain disdain for landscape fabric because it is ultimately trash that serves a very temporary purpose that is better served by natural materials. So take this with a grain of salt…Why not skip the middleman and use straw to suppress weeds? If you know a tree service they would likely unload as many wood chips as you want. Either would suppress weeds, allow the runners to grow and not require cleanup by someone down the road.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Clark
I have a certain disdain for landscape fabric because it is ultimately trash that serves a very temporary purpose that is better served by natural materials. So take this with a grain of salt…Why not skip the middleman and use straw to suppress weeds? If you know a tree service they would likely unload as many wood chips as you want. Either would suppress weeds, allow the runners to grow and not require cleanup by someone down the road.

When you want strawberries, mulch is not good because of slugs

I use a lot of cardboard for the new beds as i get a lot of it and it breaks down eventually.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Strawberry planting questions. - 06/04/22 07:12 PM

We have 12 acres of strawberries and we mulch with wheat straw In the winter then machine remove It into the isles in the spring. And we don't have a slug problem.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums