Home

Garden season up north

Posted By: trapper les

Garden season up north - 06/06/22 06:35 PM

Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 06:43 PM

Man I thought I was late this time.
My timing was off for spring mud season.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 06:52 PM

Nope, not late, everybody knows you can plant near till the end of June and still get a garden. My folks and theirs, have did it up here for over 100 years.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 06:57 PM

Rule of thumb here is after full moon in May is usually safe.
Twice I got froze out in my life from not heeding.
I need to return to Fall soil prep. We go from mud to heat in Spring.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 07:22 PM

10th of June here, unless a full moon is before that. You are usually safe after that.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 07:40 PM

Wow, sweet setup trapper les!

Wife and I just got our tomatoes peppers, and cucumbers put in the ground last night.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 08:35 PM

Yes, slow everywhere in the northern tier, had frost here a few nights ago, several nights in a row south of town.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 10:45 PM

I always plant t a late garden.
When I was growing up everyone did.

The early garden was for eating out of and the late garden was for canning.

Th reason was it was usually cooler when the lthe garden came on so it was more comfortable to can cause it wasn't as hot in the kitchen
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 10:46 PM

I always plant t a late garden.
When I was growing up everyone did.

The early garden was for eating out of and the late garden was for canning.

Th reason was it was usually cooler when the lthe garden came on so it was more comfortable to can cause it wasn't as hot in the kitchen

Late gardens are almost a thing of the past.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 10:53 PM

Been wanting to plant garlic, does it carry over if you don't pull it all?
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 10:59 PM

Very nice Trapper Les! Thank you for sharing gave me some ideas

Re: Garden season up north - 06/06/22 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Been wanting to plant garlic, does it carry over if you don't pull it all?

I harvest in August, late, let it dry a bit, and break your finest looking bulbs into cloves and poke them into a hill row on the first of October. Every year...about the nicest 5th of your crop as bulbs have 4 to 5 cloves per bulb. Plant earlier in the north, like me, later farther south. You dont want them poking through the soil in the fall trying to grow.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 12:38 AM

Holay!! Just has the nicest fanciest gardening tools a man can think of!!

Looks great! Makes me want to walk across it lol.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 12:56 AM

We finally received some rain! We had about .5 inches in two weeks. Got 1.5 inches in a soaking 16 hour rain, just right. Gardens moving well We were up at our northern cottage Saturday about 80 miles south of Ashland and it was 42 on on Friday AM and 37 on Saturday AM. Cool, windy and clear skies sure shot the fish down!

Bryce
Posted By: MJM

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 03:04 AM

Looking good. I am at about that stage too Les. A buddy of mine transplanted 51 tomato plants on the first and they froze hard enough to turn the tops black a couple days later. Mine are still inside.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 03:29 AM

been getting a bunch of rain here

I may have to try your parsnip broadcast seeding and give that a try

I have my tomatoes in and they are about a foot now , cabbage is looking good , beans and that I direct seeded are up

I have more onions to get in yet

looking good there Les
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 05:29 PM

Looks good Les. Sure could use some of that nice dirt here. We got either slimy red mud or baked brick hard.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 06:17 PM

I really wish I could blow these mosquitos into a different state, I havent seen them this thick for a while.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
I really wish I could blow these mosquitos into a different state, I havent seen them this thick for a while.

Oh no memory loss from year to year is not good
2 seasons of drought the spring mosquito species did not hatch, so we have a 3 season worth this year.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 06:43 PM

Mosquitoes aren’t actually that bad considering. Seen worse years. They are 3x bigger though.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Mosquitoes aren’t actually that bad considering. Seen worse years. They are 3x bigger though.

I know, I picked one off my sack the size of a hummingbird...what up ?

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 08:53 PM

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Re: Garden season up north - 06/07/22 09:13 PM

Dry spring here so very limited on mosguitoes here YET. With 1.5 inches of rain now and warmer weather they will be coming soon. Nice to hoe in the garden in he evening with no bugs.
Late season here so far, no deer fllies as of yet and just seeing turtles along the road the last week or so.
Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 06/08/22 01:35 PM

Unless the sun if full out, there's bugs here, lol, and LOW is in record flood stages, and the swamps are wet.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/08/22 01:47 PM

LOW,, you are up North.
I heard there's a couple walleyes around there.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/09/22 03:50 PM

Yep, a few walleyes, a little too much traffic on the lake these days in winter....fishing could be better.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 01:02 PM

Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 01:41 PM

Great video Les…..but SLOW down panning around with the phone…Iam about to throw up my breakfast. Keep up the good work. Talking about the first video….Haven watched the second one yet.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Great video Les…..but SLOW down panning around with the phone…Iam about to throw up my breakfast. Keep up the good work. Talking about the first video….Haven watched the second one yet.

Sorry about that, lol

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 01:50 PM

Les….is all them plants for yourself ? Or you have a little side hustle going on…?

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 01:57 PM

Looks good, garlic look like it has enjoyed this spring's growing conditions.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Les….is all them plants for yourself ? Or you have a little side hustle going on…?

Big time side hustle, lol
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 06:43 PM

I learn so much from this site!
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Garden season up north - 06/20/22 11:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Picked the 1st ripe tomatoes today, they were darn tasty on my salad and burger...

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by gutthooked
[Linked Image]

Picked the 1st ripe tomatoes today, they were darn tasty on my salad and burger...

that looks good

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 01:09 AM

Iam jealous GutHooked ….I won’t see a mater till the end of august
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 03:04 AM

Here's my little garden started planting stuff may 20th. Squash is bearing now and tomatoes ain't far from it [Linked Image]
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 03:51 AM

Nessy, here's a lil trick I been doing for a while, I buy a tomatoe plant that puts out early they are called forth ofJuly, hence they usually always have them by the forth of July too. The local green house sells them.
Posted By: coolstucco

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 04:15 AM

Trapper Les, looks like you made it home safely. Sure was nice to meet and visit with you at the FTA.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Here's my little garden started planting stuff may 20th. Squash is bearing now and tomatoes ain't far from it [Linked Image]

That's very lush around there.
Originally Posted by coolstucco
Trapper Les, looks like you made it home safely. Sure was nice to meet and visit with you at the FTA.

Good to meet ou too, yep, still tired from that drive.
Posted By: mole

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 07:52 AM

Peas like cooler weather here which we have been getting. almost frost several mornings.

[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 10:59 AM

I got rain and hail last night. I have not built up nerve to go look at the garden yet. The hail was small, about pea size, but we had a good wind with it. I am sure the weeds lived through it.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 12:11 PM

One half inch of rain in yesterdays blow up storm, and we went from 91 to 70 in an hour, it was nice. Nothing got too wet.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 01:12 PM

The tomatoes are well pruned this morning. I got 1.45 rain and hail mix yesterday evening. It came down hard for a while. I have seen the garden look much worse from hail.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 02:00 PM

Yes this is quite some big system moving through right now, hail is everywhere from this heat
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 08:29 PM

Just cut garlic scapes this past weekend and pickled them. No frost since I planted Memorial Day weekend, but it's been cool overall and the peppers and tomatoes are slow. Had plenty of rain. A few hot days and everything will take off

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 10:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Your looking at a pumpkin plant ,that has the potential to grow a Pumpkin at well ovah 1,000 pounds. Wallace Organic Wonder….giant pumpkin growing kit. Stay tuned ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Garden season up north - 06/21/22 11:23 PM

Hey Les, how often do you till in manure? Found out manure raised my phosphorous levels off the chart and I got the high levels from manure and miracle grow. I do have more of a clay soil though.

Nice side hustle you got!!

Re: Garden season up north - 06/22/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Hey Les, how often do you till in manure? Found out manure raised my phosphorous levels off the chart and I got the high levels from manure and miracle grow. I do have more of a clay soil though.

Nice side hustle you got!!

I add a little here and there every year, and two spade fulls for every tomato plant. I am pro-phosphorous
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Garden season up north - 06/22/22 07:22 AM

One half inch of rain in yesterdays blow up storm, and we went from 91 to 70 in an hour, it was nice. Nothing got too wet.

Tornado a few miles from the house out of that system.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Garden season up north - 06/22/22 12:21 PM

Nice action!!

Just shows what 300 miles further north can do for a growing season. Typically, I start planting directly sometime after Mother's Day, although a buddy of mine got whacked with this tomatoes when we had a late frost around May 21. I'm still getting a few things put in yet, will scrounge a couple of stores today for marked down plants (mostly tomatoes, maybe some peppers) that they're trying to get rid of before they tear down their "greenhouses" around the 4th of July.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/22/22 01:14 PM

i have the first few zuchini bout an inch long right now and a few tomatoes about the size of marbles hoping for some tomatoes soon

Re: Garden season up north - 06/22/22 03:46 PM

We had a very cool and moist early May so gardens and native plants were later than normal, about 10 days to two weeks. Since about June 15th we will have had 6 days or more over 90 with even 70s at night so things are moving rapidly now. The heat unit plants are really growing. The photo period plants are not far below normal but still not normal growth stages. We can see it as much in the insect populations as the plants. Many of the over wintering insects that are in the soil over winter are coming later due to cold soil temps in May. The cool soil temps also impacted the germination of plants like green beans for me too. I replanted my first planting wich was put in about May 15.

Bryce
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Garden season up north - 06/23/22 03:22 AM

Just put in some summer squash, zucchini and cucumbers today in some open spots of the garden. Should have them producing right till they freeze out. Had poor germination on my winter squash and cucumbers. Pepper plants are slow growing thus year. Southern mn.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Garden season up north - 06/23/22 12:51 PM

Finally got some rain. Been picking spinach and should have zucchini and Kholarobi ready this weekend.

Re: Garden season up north - 06/23/22 04:53 PM

Watered my home garden last night. Two more mid 90 degree days coming with not much rain. Wow the mosquitoes exploded the last two days. There were almost none until a couple storms and the heat. Will need some protection if going out evenings. I am going to look into one of those screen hats. Good for using in other venues as well.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 06/23/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Watered my home garden last night. Two more mid 90 degree days coming with not much rain. Wow the mosquitoes exploded the last two days. There were almost none until a couple storms and the heat. Will need some protection if going out evenings. I am going to look into one of those screen hats. Good for using in other venues as well.

Bryce

long pants , long sleeve shirt with collar couple sizes too big , tucked in but billowed out a bit at the waist collar turned up , bandana to cover opening at front of collar , gloves put on before the shirt , wide brim hat with mosquito netting cinched up around collar

also ear plugs or ear buds with music , because the noise will want to make you itch 100 skeetters next to your ears will drive you nuts

tomato picking time , get out pick a couple bushel and come back in and take a cold shower

Re: Garden season up north - 07/13/22 12:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Radishes are just coming on with a few timely rains

Re: Garden season up north - 07/13/22 01:02 AM

just a little flea beetle chewing on the leaves.....no root maggots, boy you are lucky

Re: Garden season up north - 07/13/22 01:18 AM

First picking of peas. Can tell we have had a cooler than normal spring and June. The brassicas are really doing well. Lot of big broccoli heads starting and early cabbage is forming heads. Peppers on the other hand are growing very slowly. I have 4 sweet corn plots. The early 67 day stuff is pollinating like crazy right now. The rest are scattered out over a month. Tomatoes are looking good and am spraying with fungicide weekly. Hope that works well. The biggest potato vines I have ever had. Hope to get some tubers too. The organic approved product I have used the last two years have really worked. The years before I could not keep ahead of the beetles.
Some big setbacks, horrible strawberries and raspberries. Currents and cheeries look good.My radishes were not good either. Sweet potatoes are growing well.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/13/22 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
just a little flea beetle chewing on the leaves.....no root maggots, boy you are lucky

There was one or two with root maggots

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 01:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 01:24 AM

Is anyone pulling garlic yet ? In the north ? I figure at the end of the month.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 01:36 AM

Did mine on the 4th 288 heads.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 080808

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 02:00 AM

Dug a few this week. This weekend about 250 will be hanging in the sugar shack.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 02:02 AM

Good, I am up on the 49th parallel, but my garlic looks like I could pull it here shortly and not hurt anything
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 02:23 AM

We have had zucchini, radishes, peas, and garlic come to the table so far this year.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 02:25 AM

We had a lady who is a mechanical engineer for decades. The company was bought and they eliminated her position when she was 54 years old. Her husband was an engineer at another firm and had a heart attack 3 years ago and passed away. For 8 years this lady did organic CVA produce baskets and built quite a businees. The last two years she has planted the whole organic garden area to garlic and is doing better with less work. Don't know exactly but looks to be near an acre or a tad more.
We are hoping for rain tonight. I weeded today and the dust was flying all over the place. Can tell the heat units have increased the pumpkins, squash and peppers are really growing even with limited moisture.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 02:28 AM

I agree Bryce on th heat units, it's showing here too, but we've had some timely moisture, and I dont need to water.

I'm going to plant radishes a few more times and beat the rootworm cycle with the later plantings.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 03:04 AM

The cabbage root maggots are around right up to frost so beating them with later plantings is not the solution. When the canola matures the flys disperse up to 5 miles from those fields.
as well the flea beetles really hit all the brassicae once the canola field dry off

later planting is because of the bi-annual cycle of radishes they go into a root development that is not a bitter to over winter with Commercial producers plant around 15 August with radishes here @ 50 degrees N

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 04:00 AM

The last week I have seen nearly a dozen dead rats on the roads. All the smaller sloughs and wet road ditches are drying up and the rats are moving to try and find water. I need to secure some more river line if I can.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/15/22 04:10 AM

There's lots of moisture here, but that can change in late summer

Re: Garden season up north - 07/16/22 12:58 PM

Last year I pulled my garlic a year ago today. That pic just came around on FB.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/16/22 01:05 PM

And last year we were into 6 weeks of drought already by this time.....not this year Noah.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/18/22 09:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 07/18/22 09:56 PM

That's about 50 bulbs right there, a lot for one guy to eat....from 25' of row...double row.

I need to plant a quarter acre just to see if I can sell it.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/18/22 10:04 PM

Two pickings of peas. Doing oK. Shucking nside at night with the air on! Will be a big day for brocolli Tuesday, about a dozen really nice big heads to blanche and freeze. I don't know what the spuds will look like below the ground but I have the biggest and best vines I have ever had. I guess 3 inches of composted manure worked in the garden works!

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/18/22 11:48 PM

Septoria leaf spot has reared it ugly head, and I misted with Fungonil (chlorithalinol) just now, to keep the canopy healthy.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/19/22 03:37 AM

I dip my tomato plants in a fungicide water mix when I plant them and then about every 7-10 days I spray the vines. I will do that again mid week again.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/19/22 03:55 AM

I do about the same thing...Bryce.

The conditions for fungal pathogens are ripe, very moist soil, and heavy dew every morning. It's not dry around here at all.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/23/22 11:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 01:55 AM

That looks a lot nicer than what I have. But I'm working on it.

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 11:39 AM

That's about 50 bulbs right there, a lot for one guy to eat....from 25' of row...double row.

you can start with planting the little seed garlic on the heads this season, then dig early next season and sell to all those city folks with 3 small bulbettes per p-15 pot
friend did it for 30 years and sold to a large grocery store in 500 pound lots = $$$$

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

you can start with planting the little seed garlic on the heads this season, then dig early next season and sell to all those city folks with 3 small bulbettes per p-15 pot
friend did it for 30 years and sold to a large grocery store in 500 pound lots = $$$$

No there's an idea

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 03:44 PM

Les ….came out this morning to the award winning pumpkin plant ( bought the Wallace Organic Pumpkin Seeds …giant type ) and found this !! The deer also ate all the cherry tomatoes and 3 full grown Hostas . Do you have fencing around your garden….or just use the shot gun method ? [Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 03:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 04:01 PM

Well it fiinaly rained here! We missed the wind but got 1.75 inches over 4 hours with a ton of lightning. Grass turned green overnight and now the gardens will explode for a week or so.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 07/24/22 07:19 PM

Ness, no fencing, but deer...have been browsing here and there, most noticably on my radishes in the garden nearest the woods. Deer in the edge of town tend to browse on what ever they want in it's season. I have fenced with sheep fence in the past though.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 08:21 PM

Been a good garden season so far in central MN except my squash is trying to take over the world!! This is a new spot that I just turned over late this spring so it’s lumpy and rocky and cobbled together, but it’s a start for years to come!

Enjoy your gardening and greenhouse posts Les! Happy trapping! ScottW

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 08:24 PM

Scott, your squash looks better than mine, lol
I am watering full time now. Till it's caught up.

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 09:46 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 09:50 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 10:27 PM

Great corn year for me. Electric fence stopped the coons. Picked 62 dozen yesterday morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 11:10 PM

The photo of the young boy covering his eyes really relates to not wanting to see all that work before, during and after when it comes to gardens. I am impressed by your ability and desire to keep your's so clean. I pretty much quite the weeding when the big harvest and processing season comes. Wow that is a lot of corn! I am getting very good yields of carrots, brocolli, sweet corn. Peppers are doing good as are two of the 4 patches of sweet corn. Pickled some beets, and this week I need to shred cabbage for kraut. Green beans are OK but not really great. I love the size, texture, and taste of my variety but they don't stand well and break off easy at the ground. I may have a disease, but will try something different next year.
Potatoes are dying back and I am anxious to dig the first hill as the vines were the best I have ever had.
I am raising most of our sweet corn over at our son's place and the garden is right next to their large dog run. I have only had coons in the garden 1 year out of 7.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 11:12 PM

What corn ? [Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 08/13/22 11:32 PM

Deer corn, lol

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 01:17 AM

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 03:07 AM

Wow that is a lot of produce. I am amazed how green and growing much of your garden is yet.
I live about 45 miles south of Green Bay and I am nearing the end with many crops.
I am done with green beans, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli,all which were good to very good
I have 3 cabbage heads for slaw and fresh. The rest are perkulating in the krock.
I am getting a good start on the tomatoes and yields look to be very good. 50 quarts up with a 100 or so to go.
Dug my potatoes today. The best yields I have ever had in over 65 years working in gardens. Lot of family will get many. Lot of new dishes to try using spuds and a bit more lefse as well.
Two patches of sweet corn were very good. The third is so so and the fourth I just cut to give to the sheep. Don't know the story there.
Onions are pulled and they were soso this year.
Peppers are doing well. They really need the heat, slow start for them this year.
Beets, only had a few and made pickled beets
I have never been much about watering, which I need to manage better, but I am amazed at how good most crops have been, even with our limited rain fall and low ground water.

Bryce
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 11:14 AM

Just picked the first good sized poblanos. They came kind of late this year
Posted By: Mac

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 12:27 PM

Good stuff Less. thanks for sharing.

Mac

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 01:42 PM

Up here, the potato farmers have sprayed/killed some of the vines, getting ready to dig, but years ago they never did that, they waited till nearly October, when the air temperature was cool, and you could ware house the spuds and blow in cool air at night so you could keep them, now they start earlier somehow, and get the harvest done much quicker.

Re: Garden season up north - 09/04/22 02:13 PM

most of the potatoes up here go to the Golden arches distribution so they start to dig early and pay a premium to off-set the yield differences.
some years in the fall rains and early frost have lost those late crops production

Re: Garden season up north - 09/05/22 01:08 AM

By spraying and killing the vines, the sugars go into the spud and the skins harden more for longer and better storage. I have visited one of the largest potato farms in WI and the technology they use is amazing. They harvest when the soil gets below a very specific temperature, which is why a lot of harvesting is done at night. They have a major contract with Frito Lay and they breed for and manage for a very specific size potato to make the right sized chips. The odd sizes get sold for other uses. They have temperature and humidty controlled storage facilities.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 09/05/22 01:26 AM

Size does matter......in pataters
The feed lots can only take so many for feed

Re: Garden season up north - 09/05/22 01:41 AM

A lot of potatoes here are raised for foundation seed potatoes, and size is important....they dont want them too big.
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Garden season up north - 09/05/22 11:09 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pickled some hot pepper rings and pick some more tomatoes today

Re: Garden season up north - 09/09/22 07:08 PM

Garden here is still chugging along. Been watering but it’s finally raining today. Corn is just about ready to eat (planted super late), beans are wrapping up, carrots are finally big, grape tomatoes are going crazy, and sicker cukes are still going strong.

The last couple days I’ve been noticing a real uptick in rodent chewing. Yesterday they got two carrot tops, chewed one right off. They also started nibbling on a squash bottom and some kohlrabi. Guessing it’s shrews but gonna set some traps and hopefully find out.

Happy trapping! ScottW [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 09/09/22 10:26 PM

Boy whatever it is slaughtered my squash last night! What do you all think it is? Maybe rabbit, rare, screw? Haven’t seen any rabbits since I blasted one earlier this year and my problems disappeared. Happy trapping! ScottW
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: corky

Re: Garden season up north - 09/10/22 02:20 AM

Deer are doing that to my pumpkins.^

Re: Garden season up north - 09/10/22 03:46 PM

Put out 5 weasel boxes with rat traps and 5 cage traps last night…….3/5 on the weasel boxes with rat traps. Redback Voles! Wonder how many more I gotta catch to get em in check. Happy trapping! ScottW
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 09/11/22 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ScottW
Boy whatever it is slaughtered my squash last night! What do you all think it is? Maybe rabbit, rare, screw? Haven’t seen any rabbits since I blasted one earlier this year and my problems disappeared. Happy trapping! ScottW
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've seen that on squash before, mice/shrew, mole/ rodent

Re: Garden season up north - 09/28/22 06:32 PM

Darn voles exploded one night and bit a bunch of squash up but I’ve caught 6 now in 2 days. Deer also started eating the butternuts. Been covering the last couple nights but when it’s 32 or colder for 12 hours overnight it’s tough to keep from extensive damage. Covered the maters and squash.

Potato digging day here! Lotsa scabbing unfortunately. Happy trapping! ScottW [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 09/28/22 08:23 PM

I live in an area with higher pH which is conducive to scabbing also and I dig mine earlier than I would prefer but the seem to hold up well with the system I now use. I put the taters in flat boxes with no stacking on each other. I only rub the dirt off when dry. I can keep them at basement room temperature until mid-February last year. I can pick out the ones going bad easily this way.
I am about finished. My tomatoes are about done with almost all the deterninite ones dying back. I only have a handful of jars left for more speggetti sauce. I did wind up canning 36 quarts for my son's family this year too as the crop was really good. picked a bunch of jalopena peppers today so I can make a few jars of jalepeno pepper pickles.

I was not good at watering this year so the plants that can do well with less water or timely water did very well. Those crops that needed more moisture did not do nearly as well. All in all a good year with boon to bust crops. It was 40 degrees here this AM and will get into the 70s by the weekend so a killing frost is a week or two away at least.

Bryce

Re: Garden season up north - 10/02/22 11:12 PM

Buttercup squash day! Still have beets, carrots, and rutabagas going strong. Happy trapping! ScottW [Linked Image]

Re: Garden season up north - 10/03/22 12:49 AM

Put out 5 weasel boxes with rat traps and 5 cage traps last night…….3/5 on the weasel boxes with rat traps. Redback Voles! Wonder how many more I gotta catch to get em in check. Happy trapping! ScottW
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Meadow voles those are, Red-backs have a red back and are under canopy of trees. I described over on Wilderness forum how to make a vole swimming pool for Jeff.

Re: Garden season up north - 10/03/22 02:19 AM

Thanks for the clarification 50! Pain in the but voles none the less. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Garden season up north - 10/06/22 01:19 AM

Buttercup squash day! Still have beets, carrots, and rutabagas going strong. Happy trapping! ScottW [Linked Image]

Nice haul

Re: Garden season up north - 10/06/22 01:24 AM

[Linked Image]
110 cloves planted [Linked Image]
I pulled up tomatoes ten days ago as it frosted nicely two nights in a row, it’s calling for 26 tomorrow night and I have 4 cabbage left to pick
© 2024 Trapperman Forums