Home

Sassafras smell tanned fur

Posted By: kytrapper

Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 11:05 AM

Anyone know a simple way to use a mix with sassafras oil to brush on already tanned pelts? I remember roadside tourist traps that had furs always smelled like sassafras.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 11:17 AM

Or a smoke smell. I’m just looking for a way to get a smell without changing my pickling method.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 04:07 PM

Turns out sassafras oil is dope -maybe - but looks like you might still be able to get it. I would think a drop somewhere in the fur would do the trick?
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 04:17 PM

[Linked Image]
This is one way to smoke a hide but this delivers an intense dose of smoke. Take a hot plate and a small pan of punk and hang the furs in a little shed or something. I’d turn them leather ou so as to not stain the fur too much. A little smoke might go a long way
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 04:19 PM

The smoke smell will last.Nothing better than the smell of a nicely smoke tanned moosehide.
A very valuable commodity nowadays.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 04:20 PM

Think you can still get Dixietan paste which has that smell.

Know some people that used to make sassafras tea all the time. Turns out that that wasn't thd healthiest thing to drink.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 04:21 PM

Smoke them using sassafras or cedar. I would think either one would leave an appealing odor.
Posted By: DanN

Re: Sassafras smell tanned fur - 06/07/22 06:32 PM

Dixietan paste as mentioned above. I have used it and the pelt does have a nice sassafras smell.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums