Home

Found Jerry some work

Posted By: cathryn

Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 05:56 PM

He said he'd just like to Make 100.00 bucks a week to keep from having to get into the bank savings so...

I put the word out up the holler to a few people and he's lined up for some weed eating work.

He's ran out of stuff to do at the house and he doesn't. Like setting around doing nothing.

He's happy to have a little extra money coming in..

I got a 2.00 an hour raise so that helps and im.gonna.pick up another day a week to help ease his mind.

Were.gonna make it and not end up hating each other.

This weekend we're going on a fishing trip too.

Posted By: claycreech

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 06:37 PM

$100 a week shouldn’t be hard to accomplish lol
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 06:40 PM

Fishing trips always make life seem better.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 06:41 PM

LOL!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 07:57 PM

Glad to hear it. Would hate to think retirement turned him into a slacker! grin
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Fishing trips always make life seem better.

yes they do
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 08:07 PM

Y’all don’t have any plantations or rich landowners around that want critters removed? He could easily make $100 a week or a day, lol.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/07/22 10:45 PM

Hundred bucks isn't even half what it used to be. cool

Should shoot for 120, at least..... grin
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 12:39 AM

You should pick up more hours so Jerry doesn't have to work.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 12:47 AM

100/day would be more like it.
Thats only 4 hrs at 25$ per hour if under the table.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

grin
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 12:56 PM

Just like a woman to get the man out of the house! grin
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 01:23 PM

Kathy and I start retirement together today. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 02:00 PM

To paraphrase the old line "it is a lazy Wife who can't get her husband a second job" laugh
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

It's been said on here before: "It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!" grin

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/08/22 11:45 PM

We're going fishing Saturday.

He did 2 jobs one yesterday and one today and made 200.00 so the rest of the week he can work for himself.

Our neighbor has some farm jobs he wants Jerry to help him with so he's set for work when he wants it.

He's happier today than he been since he sold his fur.

Both people were very happy with his work.

We have no plantations or rich people near us.

We are very rural.

here we an ADC guy would starve to death on his wages because people here will handle their problems with varmints themselves.

He's happy..I'm happy. It's a good day.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 02:11 PM

He worked for my cousin again yesterday.
She pays very well.

He feels.lime she overplayed him. She didn't.

Jerrys problm.ia that he don't understand his value as a worker.

He works harder tha 2 regular men.

He extremely underestimates his value as an employer

Nittany.
I ha e picked dup an extra day and gotten a raise but Jerry doesn't like spending " my" money.. I told his it was ours
Posted By: run

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 02:29 PM

Your cousin overplayed Jerry? This is getting interesting. Care to share more details?

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 02:41 PM

No she didn't. He did alot of oqrk for her. She paid him 230.00 for the 2 days.

He weedeated both sides of a half mile driveway..at least half mile.and did a crapload of other stuff.

She paid him 150 for the driveway. It was steep and overgrown and probably 60 feet wide one side and 8 on the other.

He said he'd have done it for 50.00.

It took him.right at 7 hours and he was working his butt off.

That's what I mean by He undervalues his worth.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 02:56 PM

Thank you for the clarification, Cathryn.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn

He weedeated both sides of a half mile driveway..at least half mile.and did a crapload of other stuff.

She paid him 150 for the driveway. It was steep and overgrown and probably 60 feet wide one side and 8 on the other.

you should definitely be in charge of his billing/booking he tells you how much time it should take and you tell them how much he costs

it is hard for some of us who think about what we are worth when we have what we would be willing to pay stuck in our minds

in this economy the least any one should work for is 20-25 an hour cash when you have any experience like jerry and many of us here and if you bring tools that is more , and if you provide gas what every you use x2 is worth charging 1 gallon of premium mix is about 7 dollars so charge 14 as fuel/oil

equipment like chain saws or string trimmers if it is a 400 dollar tool then it is 40 dollars a day 20 a half day , they sure aren't going to rent it for less not with all the stuff you end up having with to run one.

I might even be too low on this stuff it is crazy what people are willing to pay for jobs to be done on a job basis. remember any other professional is going to have a trip fee of like 80 dollars just to show up and be there 30 minutes.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 03:22 PM

The crazy thing is he'd pay someone more than what he'd expext for he same job if they were working for him.He provided weedeaters gas string and mix.

He looks at it as well 50 was more than I had when I started but I told him there's fair and there's being taken advantage of.

Hrs a hardworking and isn't gonna be taken advantage of on my shift.

Not being funny but he also undervaluea his fur alot of the time....and he has quality put up as well...which is why I'm in charge of marketing.

One neighbor asked him if 25 was enough..it was probably 50 yards of road frontage..hay height. He said yeas..

Then told me he would have done it for 10.

It took an hour and a half.

He dupplied weedeater and string and gas.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 03:30 PM

With all this extra money he is making you might be able to talk him into buying you a spell check program laugh.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 03:31 PM

Lol..i doubt it
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 07:03 PM

Jerry should bill out at $50/hour minimum with his equipment. I bill at $75/hour with no large equipment pruning trees. If equipment involved (chipper, bucket truck) $125/hour per man.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/10/22 08:08 PM

I will be Jerry’s manager.
I think he is worth another $20 per hour.
So raise his rate and we will split the the increase.
Please send me $10 for every hour that he works.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 12:05 PM

So Jerry wants to know if it'd be better if he stayed home and drew welfare instead.of getting out and working for whatever people are willing to pay?
Posted By: gcs

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 12:46 PM

People are willing to pay as little as you'll accept, which isn't necessarily what a job is worth.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 03:27 PM

What ya don't understand is where we are people don't have the expendable income tha other places do.

We are rural..we are country and we are lower income across the board than citizens in other states and towns...

Every profession here would make less than the same occupation in alot of yalls areas.

I do think at times he gets underpaid but in some.instancea the people truly can't afford more than they pay.

We are in an area of the country where you might get paid for mowing someone's yard with a loaf of homemade bread or a fresh baked pie.

We're that country

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 03:29 PM

My son works at one of the best paying jobs in our area..constellium aluminium.. and he only makes 26.00 an hr so how could people pay 25 an hour for yard qork?

20.00 bucks an hour here is a high paying job.

Our average pay is probably 10.00 an hour
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 06:31 PM

Years ago I used to run to mines down south of Charleston. The people in general was dirt poor but friendly and would help you if they could. Great people. Once I had a clogged fuel filter and a guy went out of his way to get me going again. Going up those hills down by Bald Nob must have had my fuel tank sloshing up dirt from new spots. The only objection I had with any of the people was they would scare me to death with their driving on those curves on those paths they called highways, lol !
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 08:07 PM

So maybe you live in what they call Appalachia ? I was born and grew up in Appalachia and lived there till I was like 27. So maybe 20 years latter I took my family for a visit. I was really taken back by how poor it was. I never realized that I lived in such a poor area until I moved and experienced some place else then returned.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 09:19 PM

Foxpaw. I'm one of those drivers.

Slickpan...yes we live in Appalachia. I'm glad someone on here understands where we're coming from on this thread.

We are a bunch of hardworking people who do what the can to make money legally to pay the bills.

It might be pickin up cans..hauling junk...or catching 200 .3.00 coons.

We.do waht we gotta do.

We grow and raise what we can to eat and hunt what we don't grow.

Were not in the high dollar eastern panhandle.of our state.

We work harder than most to keep our heads above the water but aren't ciomplaining..

God made a.special.breed of people.to survive where we do and I'm glad I'm one of thise peopel.
Posted By: greenhead

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 09:21 PM

True that cathryn.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
100/day would be more like it.
Thats only 4 hrs at 25$ per hour if under the table.

From mister I pay all my taxes !
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 09:42 PM

Foxpaw. I'm one of those drivers.

Slickpan...yes we live in Appalachia. I'm glad someone on here understands where we're coming from on this thread.

We are a bunch of hardworking people who do what the can to make money legally to pay the bills.

It might be pickin up cans..hauling junk...or catching 200 .3.00 coons.

We.do waht we gotta do.

We grow and raise what we can to eat and hunt what we don't grow.

Were not in the high dollar eastern panhandle.of our state.

We work harder than most to keep our heads above the water but aren't ciomplaining..

God made a.special.breed of people.to survive where we do and I'm glad I'm one of thise peopel.

I'm a firm believer in the more civilized we become the less civil we are .
The more we're removed from farm like life , the less we understand .
The more we have the more we tend to look down on others !

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 10:27 PM

I really appreciate your attitude, Cathryn. I wish I knew more people with an attitude like you have.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/12/22 11:13 PM

Cathryn-Some of the things about growing up where I did.We had no running water. Went to a one room school. For money I did lots of things like hauling bottles for a deposit,digging dumps for bottles,selling worms,had 3 paper routes delivered on my bike,picked straberries,trapped a few critters and many other things. I never went but I remember hearing from other kids about the local (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fights. Did I mention homemade dandelion wine? I am sure there was stills but you never knew about them. Everything we ate was home grown or I hunted. I fished a lot. For me it was a simple life but it was fine.Hard work never bothered me as it was part of the deal. Not like some on here complaining about everything.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:12 AM

Slickpan if you're ever back this way look us up.

We'd be proud to meet you.

You seem like our kinda people. smile
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:23 AM

Cathryn that sounds like a simple life. There should be more people doing that if they could. I like to be busy also but it seems the older I get there is not much time for anything else. Good for you and Jerry.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:33 AM

Before moving to MS, I was considering hard the WV or KY Appalachians. Something about that area has always appealed to me.

Cathryn, have you read the foxfire books? If not I think you would really enjoy them.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:51 AM

What ya don't understand is where we are people don't have the expendable income tha other places do.

We are rural..we are country and we are lower income across the board than citizens in other states and towns...

Every profession here would make less than the same occupation in alot of yalls areas.

I do think at times he gets underpaid but in some.instancea the people truly can't afford more than they pay.

We are in an area of the country where you might get paid for mowing someone's yard with a loaf of homemade bread or a fresh baked pie.

We're that country

if he is helping out friends an neighbors and that is the rate for the area then it is different than just work

my son took a 2 day job helping move a couple into their house here , their daughter solicited the help and offered 35 and hour , the couple was moving from the Boston area to here , 35 while it sounds like a lot is a great value. a professional mover for about 4 hours around here will run you 900 dollars they kept 2 of them one day and 3 of them the next day 5 hours each day.
he was in-between jobs and I happened to see it on FB

even the gas station is paying 14 an hour for clerks , my youngest high school summer job gets 15 and hour checking people in and taking reservations
Posted By: K91773

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 01:13 AM

Cathryn, if your part of the world is like here in KY, before long Jerry will have more work than he wants, if you do a good job for someone they tell everyone they know and before long you can't go to the hardware store or gas station without being hit up to do a job.

You are also right about the people, I was contacted by the County Road Dept. a couple years ago to trap some beaver that were plugging up the overflow culvert on a pond dam that the County road ran across. Well when I get there it truly is a problem because the center of the dam was slightly lower that the portion where the culvert was, not a problem if the culvert is working but when it was partially blocked it was about to overflow the dam which would have cut the road. I go up to the house just above the culvert which is also the last house on the road to introduce my self and tell them why I was there (didn't want to get shot) Well the lady and man that came to the door where ecstatic that I was there, they were genuinely scared that they were going to be cut off when the dam failed. They said we don't have money to pay you but we wish you would trap the whole pond and get all the beaver. I assured them that it wouldn't cost them a penny extra because this was the Counties project but they had made my job easier and a lot quicker by giving me access to the whole pond. I wound up catching 13 beaver out of that pond. Even though I had told them this job was completely on the County, I came back to my truck one day and there was a gift card for a local restaurant with a note thanking me and saying the least they could do was buy me and my wife a meal. That's how a lot of the folks here are.
Posted By: DugK

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:04 PM

My son works at one of the best paying jobs in our area..constellium aluminium.. and he only makes 26.00 an hr so how could people pay 25 an hour for yard qork?

That is my place of employment also.
There is deep history with "Kaiser" in our area.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 12:49 PM

It sounds like an amazing life Slickpan!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/13/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by DugK

That is my place of employment also.
There is deep history with "Kaiser" in our area.

Hey I now work for kaiser. Never wanted to and never applied to work for them but Alcoa sold most of my plant and on week my checks started coming from kaiser. Screwed me on retirement at 57. Now after 16 years I'm looking for other options.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 01:31 PM

Yotetrapper 30. My dad loved the foxfire books.. I have several of them and do enjoy reading them.

Dugk. My sons name is Daniel Green. You might know him.

My brother Scott southall works at the plant to.

Growing up my uncle worked for kaiser in the boiler room.

If your dad worked at kaiser you were considered well.off.

He's going in a day or 2 to help the neighbor shore up his spring. His only source of drinking water.

Only in wv do you have to pipe your after uphill to your house. Gravity is often not your friend here
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 02:08 PM

Cathryn I think a lot of guys missed the point on you getting him some side jobs. They got hung up on the money and forgot the truly important thing. That the money was not as important as getting him something to do and out of the house so you could have some space and your routine back. Seems to be helping.

Edit, maybe I should have used Cathy?

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 02:35 PM

You hit the nail on the head providence..except for th Cathy thing whistle..he was just up the road a mile or so.

I got to work in the garden..tying up tomatoes weeding and fertilizing things and he got to feel useful and busy. The money..while welcome was an added bonus. If my cousin needed help and couldn't have paid he'd have weedeated for her for nothing.

Her husband passed away and is keeping the place up pretty much on her own.

I fixed him.lunch and took it up to him.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 03:03 PM

Those 50 bucks will be gone when he gasses up the weed eater

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 05:17 PM

I don't know what kinda weedeater you got but that's more than enough money to gas up the weedeater.

Re: Found Jerry some work - 06/14/22 11:23 PM

Cathryn, you have to figure some money for weed eater string or whatever cutter head Jerry uses.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums