Home

Purging snapping turtles

Posted By: foxkidd44

Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:10 AM

Ok gang,,, how many guys here purge their snapping turtles?? I’ve never noticed any difference between purging them a few days before butchering as compared to same day catch. Only thing you accomplish,, imo. Is clean out the digestive tract,,, and I certainly ain’t eating that.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:16 AM

I agree 44
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:28 AM

No need to purge. Your not gonna change the taste of the meat in a week or so. I do them the same day.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:30 AM

The only thing I've ever noticed from purging, clean water changed out regularly, is they are a little bit easier to clean if the river muck is washed off of them.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:36 AM

I just lop off the head and hang by the tail to bleed out.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
The only thing I've ever noticed from purging, clean water changed out regularly, is they are a little bit easier to clean if the river muck is washed off of them.

Yep. I think that's why some say they taste bad because when cutting them up the knife gets some of the muck in the meat. I pressure wash mine and they are clean!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 01:35 AM

Only reason I ever leave one in the tank is so I can catch more and make it worth dirtying the cleaning table. I like to have 5 or 6 to clean at one time.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 02:29 AM

I've only had snapping turtle once. Was with a group out camping that got a turtle. They simply cut the neck area to bleed it out & laid it on the hot campfire upside down (belly up). when the shell started coming loose it was ready. It tasted great
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 03:28 AM

I have never purged a snapper.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 03:33 AM

only good it does if you're trying to confirm if they ate some ducklings
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 09:49 AM

Only had snapper once. Didn’t purge him. Wasnt bad but it don’t hold a candle to the taste of softshell.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 09:58 AM

Never purged one. Have eaten hundreds
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 10:31 AM

I never purged them until that one that was so full of snails.......
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by T-REV
Only had snapper once. Didn’t purge him. Wasnt bad but it don’t hold a candle to the taste of softshell.

Agree that softshells are good eats,,,, I dunno why they aren’t as popular as snappers are…
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Only reason I ever leave one in the tank is so I can catch more and make it worth dirtying the cleaning table. I like to have 5 or 6 to clean at one time.

X2
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
Originally Posted by T-REV

Agree that softshells are good eats,,,, I dunno why they aren’t as popular as snappers are…

Softshell or rubberbacks as we call them around here are just as good as snappers to eat. Around here they aren't as popular because they are a little harder to butcher and don't have as much meat as a snapper.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Purging snapping turtles - 06/08/22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
I've only had snapping turtle once. Was with a group out camping that got a turtle. They simply cut the neck area to bleed it out & laid it on the hot campfire upside down (belly up). when the shell started coming loose it was ready. It tasted great

That is pretty interesting. I have never heard of that before.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums