Home

Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book)

Posted By: Green Bay

Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/15/22 04:23 PM

I just picked up a copy of this book at a yard sale for $1.00. Has anyone else read it?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/15/22 04:58 PM

Very good book. Especially if you are interested in company trappers in the Rockies. You got a good deal on it.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/15/22 05:03 PM

Yes it's a good book, but he was a company man and I find the stories of the freelance trappers/mountain men to be more compelling. That book will probably put you on your way to reading about the most amazing part of North American history in my opinion.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/15/22 05:35 PM

For the serious student of the era this book is invaluable. Many of the mountain man genre of stories are prone to hyperbole, storytelling and outright fiction that those guys were so fond of. In Russel's account it is told firsthand and he seems to be pretty serious about reporting things as they really were from his perspective. It's disappointing to hear Russel lament about what a poor shot he was, but boy does that sure give him credibility! If he can tell the truth about that I imagine the rest of it smacks of truth as well.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/15/22 07:25 PM

I started in on it this spring, but didn't finish it.
The guy was certainly a go getter.
Hard to imagine what those guys did back then with what they had.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/16/22 12:47 AM

Thanks guys. It is on my pile of to read books.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/16/22 03:07 AM

Green Bay , take the time to read it. You will be glad you did. I just read it about 2 months ago and found it very interesting.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Journal of a Trapper - Russel (Book) - 06/16/22 04:13 AM

To keep from boring every body I'll try to keep this short.

I've read to book twice, fist time I read an old hardback book. It was really interesting. I was over in Pinedale, WY at the museum of the mountain men. They had a new book which was a little bit revised with more info and some pictures which I didn't remember the first book having any pics.

One of Osborn Russel trapping partner was a guy named Elbridge Trask which is a distant, distant relative. (Trask is my last name) I don't remember seeing his name in the first book. But he's mentioned quit a few times in the second book

Any way it was interesting to read about him and the second thing that interested me is since I live out west I've been to quit of few places that was mentioned in the books

© 2024 Trapperman Forums