Home

Sea Foam?

Posted By: SGT. C

Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:59 AM

Who has or still uses it? And what is take on it?
Thinking about trying it in my vehicle's.
Thanks for your input.
Sarge
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:04 AM

I just put some in a fresh tank of gas for my old Mercury 9.9. I started using it when that old motor was running a little rough, and it sure seemed to help smooth it out.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:04 AM

I have used Sea Foam for years and still use it today. I can't really say because I have never had a motor problem.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:05 AM

I use it on everything. Great stuff! I run some through my outboards during the first and last runs of the year, put it in my chainsaws, zero-turn, tractor, motorcycle, cars, just about everything. Project farm did a video about it. I'll post it if you are interested. He revived an old beat down ranger. It's interesting. I've used it in my stuff for decades and always had great results.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:05 AM

treats gas and cleans/ lubricates

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:07 AM

Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:10 AM

Great stuff for fuel treatment and fickle engines.
Well worth the expense.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:21 AM

I've used a good bit of it. An aquaintance of my Dad's mentioned a while back that his old truck was running rough, and Dad told him to put a can of Sea Foam in it. The next time he saw him he said it cleared it right up.

My old mechanic spoke very highly of it and got me to using it.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 01:32 AM

Thanks for the videos, Finster. Pretty interesting.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:01 AM

I've used seafoam for a long time, Trucks, wheeler & all small engines. It's only been used in the fuel tank. I truly believe it helps keep the fuel system clean, Never a problem starting small engines with seafoam mixed in.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:19 AM

I put it in my boat tank (80gals) premium, 90 octane 4 years ago and haven’t used the boat since. The can says it’s a fuel stabilizer. I don’t want any damage to my engine, it’s a 200 mercury, that’s why the 90 octane.
Anybody have an opinion if the fuel is still stable or should I use the fuel up in an old vehicle?

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
I put it in my boat tank (80gals) premium, 90 octane 4 years ago and haven’t used the boat since. The can says it’s a fuel stabilizer. I don’t want any damage to my engine, it’s a 200 mercury, that’s why the 90 octane.
Anybody have an opinion if the fuel is still stable or should I use the fuel up in an old vehicle?

I would use it in an older vehicle or, at today's prices, sell the gas and retire.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:32 AM

Thanks your right Finster!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:39 AM

I use it in the fuel all my quads, chainsaws, mowers etc. I’ve never added it to a crankcase.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:49 AM

I have gotten some small engines that were not running carb issues back with use of seafoam

my 88 ranger had sat for a few years when my son bought it , it started but you had to feather the throttle to keep it running

drained the old gas put in 5 gallons new gas with a can of seafaom and it idled fine after running it a while

I haven't used any more seafaom in it since but have used some startron as it sometimes takes me 6 months to use a tank of gas in it , not my daily driver

seafaom to clean and startron to preserve fule

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 03:05 AM

Thanks Pete

I looked up Star Tron and it stabilizes fuel up to 2 years. That’s what I am using when I fill up!

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 03:09 AM

Thanks Pete

I looked up Star Tron and it stabilizes fuel up to 2 years. That’s what I am using when I fill up!

there was good discussion on this in the small engine thread earlier this week it wasn't just my experience whit starting equipment after it sat under snow or for many months.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Thanks Pete

there was good discussion on this in the small engine thread earlier this week it wasn't just my experience whit starting equipment after it sat under snow or for many months.

I'm a Star Tron fan myself.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 03:36 AM

I use it all the time. Run a can through the trucks now and then. Keeps the injectors clean.
Where I really use it is in my boat motors. 1 ounce per gallon will keep the gas sweet and will keep the pistons from carboning up.
Also, I keep the boat gas year around since I started treating it with Seafoam. What was used last fall is what I start the new season with.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
I use it on everything. Great stuff! I run some through my outboards during the first and last runs of the year, put it in my chainsaws, zero-turn, tractor, motorcycle, cars, just about everything. Project farm did a video about it. I'll post it if you are interested. He revived an old beat down ranger. It's interesting. I've used it in my stuff for decades and always had great results.

Almost the same. Use it in every tank of real gas all year with no ethanol for all small engines and outboard motors and 4 wheelers and side by side and 5 generators and splitter and rototiller and 30 stihl tools.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 07:50 AM

Use to use it when all my vehicles were carburated. Worked great. Got away from it when everything started getting injected. Also still use Marvelous Mystery Oil as an additive
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 08:35 AM

I use 100% rec gas in everything besides our on road vehicles, even at $6.09 a gallon. Star Tron at minimum rate with a splash of Marvel Mystery oil. I also have 2, S-10's a 99 Blazer and a 2000 pickup with a snow plow. The Blazer is my go to the cabin 4x4 beater the pickup sits all summer and only plows snow, both of those get a good dose of Marvel Mystery oil, as in tank electric fuel pumps that sit for long periods have a habit of sticking impellers and failure.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 09:18 AM

I use startron to treat gas when I first get it. That is the gas I use in all my small engines. Instead of seafoam I use Berymans B12, It is about the same as seafoam at half the price.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 09:49 AM

An elder mechanic's comment on sea foam.
"So, you're adding alcohol to fuel to combat ethanol".

Made me think.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 10:06 AM

Thanks Pete

I think Sea Foam stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years also. Pretty sure it says so on the can.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 10:18 AM

Every small engine I have gets it. 15-20 different motors during the year. Good stuff as far as I’m concerned.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 10:42 AM

I've never used it as liquid mechanic, but I stabilize all my boat fuel at the end of the season and have never had issues. I use the regular type, but I believe they make a Marine Sea Foam.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
An elder mechanic's comment on sea foam.
"So, you're adding alcohol to fuel to combat ethanol".

Made me think.

that is a good point

it does seem to have good cleaning properties to dissolve the deposits in which is mostly left by the ethanol in a carb
it is mainly isopropyl alcohol https://seafoamworks.com/uploads/public/resource-library/2021/08/SFMT-SDS-CA-ENG-v20210608-sfi.pdf

why startron makes more sense for stabilizing https://assets.unilogcorp.com/187/ITEM/DOC/Star_brite_100044586_SDS.pdf
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:34 PM

Right or wrong that is my opinion too, so far.
The sea foam did great cleaning tbi systems for me, 2.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Right or wrong that is my opinion too, so far.
The sea foam did great cleaning tbi systems for me, 2.

I do recall my high school shop teacher who was mostly against "snake oils" telling us if we needed HEET fuel line dryer buy the Iso heat as Isopropyl alcohol bound to the water and carried it through the engine to be expelled as exhaust

so in that regard seafoam being mainly Isopropyl alcohol does make some sense for cleaning and water removal
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:53 PM

Startron for additive is hard to beat. I don’t think I’ve had a carb off since I started using it several years ago. Even had a snowmobile that sat for 3 years in Canada and fired it up. Normally anything over a year, even with sea foam, needed carb cleaned.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 12:57 PM

I know the guy who owns the company. He is one of the most generous people I have ever known, he gives millions to good conservative and Christian charities and has no interest in being rich himself. Amazing man.

He paid for this boat to benefit Teen Challenge. He also has bought many properties where Teen Challenge campuses now stand. So yes the stuff works, I use both the original stuff and the Marine Pro in outboards. But there are many more reasons for me to feel good about Sea Foam.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gcs

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:24 PM

Been using it more lately, got a mower thats balky, i'm sure it needs a good carb douching but the seafoam keeps it running pretty good...Apparently you can use it almost straight for really fast results...lol

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Been using it more lately, got a mower thats balky, i'm sure it needs a good carb douching but the seafoam keeps it running pretty good...Apparently you can use it almost straight for really fast results...lol

i did not strait but very heavy in a free poulan chains saw I was given , it would run but just barely ran about 1/3 seafaom to some fuel mixed a touch heavier on oil

I got another 2 years out of that little saw after it was given to me when it wasn't working eventually it was a compression issue that ended it , it didn't have enough any more
Posted By: red raider 50

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 02:44 PM

Good stuff. Use it in car gas, lawn mower, and to stabilize gas held for extended periods of time.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 04:16 PM

Dumped a large can in the tank of my '01 S-10 and noticed a definite improvement.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 04:23 PM

I use it in the boat and my engine has never started easier.
Add extra for the winter and spring startup is much better.
Posted By: charles

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 04:30 PM

Used to add it to fuel for small engines and OB boat motors. Put a shot into my gasoline generator tank when I drained it. A few months ago I ran it in the fuel of my 3.5 Ford EcoBoost. Not sure if this was good or not, but it seemed to quieten the engine some. Not sure if it is good in direct injection engines.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 05:53 PM

Added a can to my F-150 with 265,000 on it. Wait and see. Sarge

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C

to the oil or the gas?

what issues was it having ?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 06:07 PM

Has anybody ever checked mpg to see if it makes a difference?

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 06:15 PM

Yes. I picked up 2 MPG.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 07:13 PM

Thank you Bob

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 07:42 PM

Also, FYI: My Motorhead buddy warned me about Seafoam in the crankcase, said it might OVER clean the engine to the point that gaskets and seals might start leaking from the crud that's helping seal it being removed.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Also, FYI: My Motorhead buddy warned me about Seafoam in the crankcase, said it might OVER clean the engine to the point that gaskets and seals might start leaking from the crud that's helping seal it being removed.

If I was gonna put it in the crankcase, I would do it just prior to an oil change. What BB said could also be valid….you might be removing gunk that’s keeping things sealed.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 10:22 PM

Every 100K or so I'd put a qt of kerosene in a hot krank case run it for 5 min, then let it drain overnight,. change filter, then refill with fresh oil. Much the same thing as the sea foam deal.

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by SGT. C

to the oil or the gas?

what issues was it having ?

Added to gas. No major issues. Just thought a little added maintenance wouldnt hurt. She has 265,000 on her and going strong. I keep maticious maintenance.
Sarge
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Sea Foam? - 06/16/22 11:07 PM

I am a SEA FOAM believer for use in 2 strokes. Just a small amount in a tank fill up on a 4-wheeler or mc.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums