Home

Dead cattle

Posted By: MJM

Dead cattle - 06/16/22 02:17 AM

Unexplainably over 3000 cows dad in southwest Kansas over the weekend. I heard 7000 in AZ. Anyone hear anything about it?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 02:21 AM

Pawnee would know more. Numbers I heard from just a couple of yards would make me believe the numbers could be higher than that in SW Kansas. Not unexplainable though. Extreme heat and humidity
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 02:55 AM

A little more information- https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/news/article/2022/06/14/heat-stress-kills-estimated-10-000
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 07:17 AM

Coyotes are gonna be fat and sassy!!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 07:30 AM

there goes the price of beef , like it wasn't high enough
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 09:50 AM

Wow with the rising, outrageous price of diesel some of these farmers are getting hit hard. Hope some relief comes their way soon.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Did you read the whole article? , They said the same day of the article, beef futures dropped.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 11:43 AM

their rendering plants cant handle that number
Posted By: run

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

Did you read the whole article? , They said the same day of the article, beef futures dropped.

Let's face it, rarely does anyone read the whole article of any subject on trapperman. It's way more fun to play economist than to read a boring article, LOL. You guys that lost animals, sorry for the hard luck .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 12:54 PM

It will result in higher retail meat prices. The futures market is pretty disconnected from the real market sometimes. The packer may give the feeder $50 more because of it but increase their profit at least a couple hundred because of the "shortage ".
Posted By: MJM

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 01:10 PM

I am surprised they didn't say global warming caused it. I can't say I ever heard of 10,000 cattle dying from heat stress before. Has anyone else? But I never heard of 50 food processing plants burning down in a year either.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 01:36 PM

It's just the "New Normal"
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

the market hadn't yet had time to react when the article was written

10K does sound like a lot but when Week to date slaughter is 368K it isn't as big a number as it sounds.

https://www.barchart.com/story/news/8759466/cattle-futures-following-strong-cash

At the Wednesday close live cattle futures were $0.82 to $2.72 stronger. Prices did fade their midday highs, which for June left about 45 cents on the table. The other contracts left more on the table, but had filled their gaps to start the week – though they left new gaps at the open. The FCE auction had no sales for the 790 head listed today. Asks jumped up to the $138-$140 range, bids were also higher @ $135-$138. USDA mentioned limited Wednesday sales in the North, from $144 - $148, with the bulk near $145 and $230 dressed. Southern deals were light on Wednesday with Tuesday’s market near $136 - $138 as the bulk so far.

Multiple reports of dead cattle from heat loss are flooding wire and social media sources. It is difficult to compute a total at this point. Temperatures in the South went from highs in the 80s last week to +100s through Wednesday.
Posted By: jht

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 04:12 PM

I’m no cattleman, but my understanding is that many of these cattle just came off fescue pasture in MO. Vasoconstriction from eating endophyte-infected fescue makes it hard for them to shed the excess heat.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 04:24 PM

Local fed cattle sales have been about .10 over the Board price for about nine months this time. Top prime beef is at about 1.45, down a little (.03) from last week.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jht
I’m no cattleman, but my understanding is that many of these cattle just came off fescue pasture in MO. Vasoconstriction from eating endophyte-infected fescue makes it hard for them to shed the excess heat.

That sounds like a good explanation
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Dead cattle - 06/16/22 04:54 PM

Brome and fescue both need to be declared a noxious weed in ks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums