Home

Northern Pikeminnows

Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 09:59 PM

I caught a couple three pounders last night while smallmouth fishing and it made me wonder who made decisions about what was edible or not. For people unfamiliar with them they are basically a bony trout, I have caught them on anything I use for trout or bass. They don't have a game fin and no one I know eats them and we have lots of them. The same applies to doves and robins or ground and tree squirrels. On the same subject we don't eat suckers here but I know in some areas people do.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 10:02 PM

You mean squawfish right?

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 10:24 PM

yes.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 10:43 PM

There was a time squawfish were captured and canned commercially as Colorado River Salmon.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 11:13 PM

I had never heard of Pikeminnows, so had to do a GOOGLE SEARCH. Here is what I found out.

The Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery Program-

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 11:20 PM

Some people make good money on the Columbia and I think Snake rivers fishing for them. There are a lot of them all over the Pacific Northwest. I was wondering why they are considered inedible. I believe they were called squawfish because native women fished for them. I may try one just to see what they taste like.
Posted By: eedup

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 11:28 PM

Hence the name change...gotta be unoffensive to everyone. The reward program is interesting I've fished it, made it to the second tier. The top angler will gross 50k in 5 months.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/16/22 11:57 PM

I would put a net across that river and dredge it 100 yards. I’d be done in an hour. Nobody would ever know. Turn in all the tagged fish. $$$
Posted By: eedup

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/17/22 12:03 AM

Prob been done. It's a feel good program imo, the fish need to be 9" and larger to collect bounty. So the 8.75" go back to grow, unless you're really actually trying to protect salmon then you kill all you catch. Has to be rod and reel...silly if they really want to get rid of lots of em.

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/17/22 01:00 AM

It would take a pretty long net to span the Columbia or Snake. I agree with eedup it is a feel good program not doing anything for the salmon although I don't have any suggestions to fix the problem.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/17/22 02:13 AM

And yet they are a protected species here.

Re: Northern Pikeminnows - 06/17/22 02:28 AM

If they truly aren't edible I will grind them for fertilizer, chicken food and trapping. Most people here just throw them up on the bank.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums