Home

I Love BBQ Chicken Wings

Posted By: T-Rex

I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 03:49 AM

So, I have the urge to bbq a batch of chicken wings after work today. So, I stop in at the local whatever store and grab a package and...Holy Crap... $4.00/lb.

I'm guessing the $2.00/lb chicken thighs just might be my new acquired taste.

FJB.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:18 AM

Chix thighs are the best part of the bird…2.99 lb up here…get them every week

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Chix thighs are the best part of the bird…2.99 lb up here…get them every week

An omen of things to come. I think I'll buy and freeze a ton or two of them while I can for $2.00/lb
Posted By: mnsota

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:31 AM

A couple years a go I was selling whole roasters (cornish cross) at rural market at 2.80 lb. and making it work. It's nuts now with everything.
This current admin. is systematically destroying everything in this nation, and it started the day after he was sworn in!

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota
A couple years a go I was selling whole roasters (cornish cross) at rural market at 2.80 lb. and making it work. It's nuts now with everything.
This current admin. is systematically destroying everything in this nation, and it started the day after he was sworn in!

I ain't Joe's fault. Putin is the evil one.

I'm still stockin' up in a non judgmental way.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:43 AM

I ain't Joe's fault. Putin is the evil one.

grin
Better stocked than shocked!

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:46 AM

So, a sad, but true story to go along with prepping for when TSHTF.

My two loving, but liberal sons, have often told me they plan to move in with me when it really happens. They seem to think a root cellar fully stocked with food and weapons is the end all cure.

Well, that ended a while back when I told them that I had nowhere near the resources required to survive, and that instead of relying on reserves, that i would be stealing from Democrats.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:41 AM

I still hope/pray that we can avoid the unpleasantness that looms over us.
However,..what you may squeeze from a democrats rag may be little but rewarding. laugh
Posted By: run

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 09:51 AM

I thought this was going to be about chicken wings. Not gloom and doom.
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 10:57 AM

Second time in a week that I’ve agreed with Run…… and Nessy …..

The heck with the bad news—- how did the chicken thighs turn out. ???
Posted By: mike mason

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 11:05 AM

Got chicken thighs last week on sale $.99/lb. Purchased 30 pounds.
Posted By: BigJoe.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 11:45 AM

For the past few years our local Sav A Lot store would have 10 lb. Bags of chicken quarters on sale for 33 cents per pound. Thats $3.33 a bag. We would boil, separate the meat then pressure can it. I doubt we'll see those low prices this summer.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 01:34 PM

Grilled chicken wings are great, in fact all parts of the chicken are great. I salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder them then at end I put a shirt of hot sauce on them to finish and serve with blue cheese sauce
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 01:43 PM

Regularly get chicken quarters here for $0.59
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 02:18 PM

I seen a package of wings lately and it was $20 bucks. I did not even look
to see how much a pound they were. I was in the Deli of the store and they now want $8 a pound for cooked wings !

Wow .... I was buying skinless boneless thighs for $1.79 for a 10 pound bag. It has been a long time now to get them for $.99 cents a pound.

Wow have prices went up .... 50 years ago I bought wings for 10 cents a pound, ate lotsa them building my house.
Posted By: gcs

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 03:36 PM

Still finding 10# bags of leg quarters from .49 , to .55 cents a pound. I can't grow chickens that cheap... I've bought 40 # in the last couple months....

Wings are through the roof here, drums and thighs have gone up but still only around 1.29,
I'm eating a lot of chicken.......
Posted By: cathryn

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
So, I have the urge to bbq a batch of chicken wings after work today. So, I stop in at the local whatever store and grab a package and...Holy Crap... $4.00/lb.

I'm guessing the $2.00/lb chicken thighs just might be my new acquired taste.

FJB.

I know what you mean.. LOVE them but a pack I used to pay 8 bucks for is 22.00 now and I'm not paying it..

They're 1.00 each at restaraunts around here. Freaking ridiculous..
Posted By: Catch22

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 03:48 PM

Can't touch wings around here but we do have #40 boxes of chicken quarters for 20 bucks.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 04:11 PM

Catch22 that's a good dang price
Posted By: Boco

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Home made Japanese chicken wings.
Glad the wife found this recipe.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Catch22 that's a good dang price

It sure is Cathryn. This past week I picked up another box. My buddy give me a real nice electric smoker, I haven't figured it out yet but I plan on smoking some of that chicken up and have a small shin dig.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Can't touch wings around here but we do have #40 boxes of chicken quarters for 20 bucks.

Nation wide chain or local grocer?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:41 PM

10 lb sack of leg quarters, anywhere from $4 to $8, cut 'em in half or leave whole, best of both worlds, yummy and cheap!

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason

Local place Mike. They always have great deals.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 06:08 PM

Those kind of places make me want to go out back and look for the chicken coops!

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason

Piggly Wiggly often has prices close to that. The other place I get them from is SuperValu.

I don't know if either are those are nationwide, but both of them are chains.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 07:50 PM

Thanks, our low here was $.99/lb.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 07:53 PM

Just checked the SuperValu flyer. 40lb box for $27.20 $0.68/lb. So they are going up. 2 weeks ago I'm pretty sure they were $0.49/lb

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 08:09 PM

Thanks, we don't have either chain here, our chains are shoprite, hannaford and pricechopper.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
So, I have the urge to bbq a batch of chicken wings after work today. So, I stop in at the local whatever store and grab a package and...Holy Crap... $4.00/lb. .

Youi can thank the bozo that invented Buffalo Wings!
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/18/22 09:33 PM

Bought a ten pound bag of legs w/ thighs attached. The Dungeness crab seemed to really like them. 69 cents a pound and you need one leg and thigh per pot so I got some cheap crab. Varies but maybe 2 to 3 legal crab per pot average. It seemed like a fair price to me.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/19/22 01:33 AM

Haven't see chicken wings here for close to 6 months. Even the restaurants not longer have wings on the menu, switching over to thighs.
Posted By: run

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/19/22 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Haven't see chicken wings here for close to 6 months. Even the restaurants not longer have wings on the menu, switching over to thighs.

Too bad you don't live in the South. LOL.

Re: I Love BBQ Chicken Wings - 06/22/22 03:12 AM

I just warmed up a couple thighs from Sunday's BBQ. Every bit as good, and they were great then.

Hard to imagine I have overlooked something that good for so many decades.

Eating them in the technical sense took a little learning curve. But, it didn't take long to know where and how to cut to maximize the eating experience.

Yip, probably my new favorite.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums