Home

Grape vine hoops

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Grape vine hoops - 06/19/22 11:00 PM

Spent the evening running around the property since I haven't seen many deer grazing around as usual. Coyotes must have come through last night and run them out. Walked thru some of our woods and found a few grape vines the right size for making beaver hoops next spring.

I peeled the skin off and loosely wound them up so they will dry for a few days. Then I will fasten them to some beaver hoop forms so they will cure and hold the memory.

[Linked Image]

A few rough cut lengths of grape vine.

[Linked Image]

Nice clean peeled vines ready for curing.

[Linked Image]

A couple buzzards circling around looking for dinner. The fish house is working good, making oil and stink.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Grape vine hoops - 06/22/22 11:53 PM

Bob,
I did the same a few days ago, tied off in approximate sized hoops, then left them in a breezy, shady spot.
Split pretty good when I just checked.
Will still.work, but wondering if that is normal.
Thanks
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Grape vine hoops - 06/23/22 12:20 AM

The only splitting I have seen with our cleaned vines is on the ends where the cuts were made. I cut my vines much larger then what I think I may need for my largest beaver.

The vines are very durable compared to tree limbs. Mine are only a few days old and are hung in my wood shed. They are curing nicely in our temps.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Grape vine hoops - 06/23/22 12:25 AM

Bob, I thought of you this evening as I ate supper, I had some of your peach jam on bread to go along with the ham & green beans, the peach jam is awesome.

Re: Grape vine hoops - 06/23/22 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
The only splitting I have seen with our cleaned vines is on the ends where the cuts were made. I cut my vines much larger then what I think I may need for my largest beaver.

The vines are very durable compared to tree limbs. Mine are only a few days old and are hung in my wood shed. They are curing nicely in our temps.

Thanks.
Mine developed cracks along much of the outer edge.
Also in woodshed.
Will try some more and cure inside this time.

Re: Grape vine hoops - 06/30/22 11:37 PM

Split first night, in shaded spot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Grape vine hoops - 07/01/22 11:54 AM

Some wimmen folk like to make wreaths out of the vines too and decorate them all pretty. Is that a rock wall directly behind the vines?
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Grape vine hoops - 07/01/22 11:59 AM

I havent made use of all the wild grape vine around here, but there's plenty of it.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Grape vine hoops - 07/01/22 12:14 PM

nice idea

Re: Grape vine hoops - 07/01/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

Is that a rock wall directly behind the vines?

Nope.
My kids like to throw sharp and pointy things.

[Linked Image]

Wrapped it around to get it a little more rounded.
Twisted some when it cracked.

That boy and a rock wall would be a Bad Idea, lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums