Home

Skunks

Posted By: MySide 🦝

Skunks - 06/20/22 01:36 AM

How do you keep them outta your coyote / fox sets?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 01:45 AM

Catch them in skunk sets beforehand.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 02:11 AM

Pan tension.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Pan tension.

2 lbs too light?
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 02:33 AM

Yep 4lbs will help.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 03:17 AM

I don’t. Catching a skunk in a coyote set is always a good thing on my line. Skunk remakes are deadly on canines
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 08:21 AM

Love them skunks, make more money on them than coyotes here, lot easier to skin and imo smell better lol. But if you don't want them Monster Toms has it right 3 to 4 lbs pan tension.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 10:33 AM

I agree with bob , nothing wrong with catching a skunk
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 11:28 AM

Set a few dps near your sets and bait with persimmons, hopefully catch the skunks before they make it to your dirt holes/flat sets. Worst case like they said, catching a skunk in your set will actually help as an attractant.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 01:44 PM

Set up some box traps and catch them before they get there.
Skunks - sell for good money
Eastern Coyotes- are only 1/2 the price of a skunk and 4 times the effort in getting ready for market
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ToCatchAPredator
Set a few dps near your sets and bait with persimmons, hopefully catch the skunks before they make it to your dirt holes/flat sets. Worst case like they said, catching a skunk in your set will actually help as an attractant.

I've used dps for years using a persimmon paste bait and have never caught anything but coons...my target and reason for the DP s

I'd set up some skunk sets afore hand and thin them out...or raise pan pressure like others have said ^^
Posted By: Boco

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 04:39 PM

Skunks are a moneymaker why not harvest them if you are already trapping other species?Important to maximize return in this market to offset your expenses.
There are sets and baits that will get skunks and keep them out of specific sets made for other species.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 04:41 PM

$12.00 skunks versus $2.00 coyotes. Make all your best coyote sets In skunk locations and your good to go.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
$12.00 skunks versus $2.00 coyotes. Make all your best coyote sets In skunk locations and your good to go.

$12 skunks? They where going for as high as $25 earlier this year plus quill.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Skunks - 06/20/22 07:01 PM

problem with more pan tensions is dug out bait. no fur and still need to rebait. sometimes completely redo it. having said that though i never saw a downside to missing possums. imo the best tactic is multiple sets. if a coyote shows up a trapped skunk or possum will not spook it. a lot of the time, not all of the time. nothing is perfect. good fast trap is nice to have. no need to keep fooling with pan tension. if it gets a bit on the light side it still works. can retune when you got time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums