Home

Postal Holiday today

Posted By: corky

Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 11:18 AM

Juneteenth Day

Don't expect the check in the mail
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 07:36 PM

What a waste of taxpayers money. Not a legal holiday in most states.
Posted By: charles

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 08:04 PM

Every new holiday needs to replace an existing one.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 08:41 PM

What is the official name of this new holiday and what holiday did it replace?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
What is the official name of this new holiday and what holiday did it replace?

Juneteenth - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

"Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans. Juneteenth marks the anniversary of the announcement of General Order No. 3 by Union Army general Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas.[7] Originating in Galveston, the holiday has since been celebrated annually on June 19 in various parts of the United States, often broadly celebrating African-American culture. The day was first recognized as a federal holiday in June 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law"
Posted By: Zim

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 09:11 PM

Does anyone know how much this "holiday" costs the taxpayer in terms of paying federal employees for another day off?

Zim
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 09:59 PM

It would of made more sense to celebrate on January 1st, which is when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, which freed all enslaved people in the US, rather than June 19th, when a relatively small number of slaves finally found out they were free.

I think the holiday is more about picking at old wounds and creating racial division for political gain for the democrats, than celebrating anything.

Keith
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
Does anyone know how much this "holiday" costs the taxpayer in terms of paying federal employees for another day off?

Zim

Less than if they actually worked...another day they cant mess things up
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 10:07 PM

I thought you have to work to get a day off?
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 10:18 PM

Black folk traditionally celebrated the emancipation on August 8th, in this neck of the woods.

It took that long for word of the emancipation to reach them here.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 10:43 PM

Biden just wanted to proclaim something
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 10:46 PM

Since we're all about equality, I'd think it would be right that everyone gets off on a federal holiday. It shouldn't be a select few occupations. Just sayin.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Postal Holiday today - 06/20/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
It would of made more sense to celebrate on January 1st, which is when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, which freed all enslaved people in the US, rather than June 19th, when a relatively small number of slaves finally found out they were free.

I think the holiday is more about picking at old wounds and creating racial division for political gain for the democrats, than celebrating anything.

Keith

You are much closer than some with history, but if one would actually read the proclamation it only freed slaves in the south. Northern states still had the right to vote if they wanted to keep slaves or not even after the proclamation. I cant recall the states or dates, but some northern states allowed slaves long after the war was over.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums