Home

Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup

Posted By: Catch22

Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 06:56 PM

I'm wanting to build a pen for my truck bed to haul 200-280lb hogs from auctions or farms, plus maybe goats sheep and other smaller critters. Does anyone have any plans or pics or maybe ideas. Thanks in advance!

Keith, suggestions???
Posted By: white17

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:10 PM

Many years ago in Burma I saw a guy on a small motor bike with a pig in a wicker basket on each side.....like saddlebags. Each pig was probably in the same weight class you are talking about.
I have no idea how that guy managed to balance those squirming pigs.

But I'll bet you could do it easily
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:15 PM

uhh, I just use livestock racks in mine. Remember a fat hog doesn't like to jump and I can't lift one....I can barely force one to take a 4" step up into a trailer. So, racks are only good if you got a livestock chute to load/unload.. My JD 4020 loader does most of the heavy lifting when getting processed.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:16 PM

As a kid, practically every farmer owned a truck with some sort of box to contain critters to haul to the auction every week or so. If a farmer can pound something together, why would you need plans? Maybe make a large crate with a door on the end. You can strap it down when your using it and remove it when you don't need it.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:18 PM

mine is just welded up 3/4" square stock with a single slide door on pulleys and a rope so I can run the door. All fits on bed rails and can close tailgate. Mine has about 5' tall sides so I can haul calves and the box frame base fits in my truck bed. I simply slide it in and out when I want to use it.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:28 PM

White, uh, this ole boy don't do motor bikes anymore and even if I did I wouldn't try that lol...

Scout, I ask for plans and ideas because I guarantee that most anyone will come up with something better then me lol...

Blackdog, that sounds pretty good. Do you know approx how much it weighs?

I know I could make cattle sides on my truck and build a chute/ramp but I'm not sure I want the hogs to have that much room.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:32 PM

i used hog panels on a 6x10 utility trailer. drop the end gate and run them in. used quick links to snap it together.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:38 PM

something like this?

https://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/d/englewood-livestock-rack-pickup/7498887034.html
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I'm wanting to build a pen for my truck bed to haul 200-280lb hogs from auctions or farms, plus maybe goats sheep and other smaller critters. Does anyone have any plans or pics or maybe ideas. Thanks in advance!

Keith, suggestions???

Jeff, one of TSC's Neighbor Club Benefits is frequent free trailer rental. If you're only going to pick up critters occasionally, I would just rent a small trailer and hose it out good before taking it back. Building materials are very high right now and mutiple trailer rentals are likely cheaper than building a box.

All the goats and calves we bought, we just put in the cap. We tied pallets together for someone to take a goat home, when their livestock trailer had a wheel fall off. Most people picking up goats from us just put them in a large dog crate.

Keith

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:56 PM

There is quite a bit of difference in hauling a goat and a 280 lb pig......first off consider what you want to haul and then build to those specs
Posted By: KP3100

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:57 PM

We always used a double horse trailer. Easy to load, plus you can hold them over a few days without tying up your truck.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/d/bradford-horse-bumper-pull-trailer/7497938941.html

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 07:58 PM

That would work but pricey. I might could go see what the scrap yard has and could maybe make one. Thanks for that link!!

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith, suggestions???

Jeff, one of TSC's Neighbor Club Benefits is frequent free trailer rental. If you're only going to pick up critters occasionally, I would just rent a small trailer and hose it out good before taking it back. Building materials are very high right now and mutiple trailer rentals are likely cheaper than building a box.

All the goats and calves we bought, we just put in the cap. We tied pallets together for someone to take a goat home, when their livestock trailer had a wheel fall off. Most people picking up goats from us just put them in a large dog crate.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'm wanting something for my truck because sometimes I get a call and would have to go fast, plus I don't want to have a trailer if I can help it.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by KP3100
We always used a double horse trailer. Easy to load, plus you can hold them over a few days without tying up your truck.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/d/bradford-horse-bumper-pull-trailer/7497938941.html

That would sure work but I don't really want a trailer. Thanks for the link!

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:03 PM

That would work but pricey. I might could go see what the scrap yard has and could maybe make one. Thanks for that link!!

Check craigs list in your area not sure where you are so I just pulled up Columbus and it was listed. How close are you to Athens? I found one for my kid near Athens.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:08 PM

Wrangler, I'm about 2 1/2 hrs from Athens. I didn't even think to check craigslist. Thank you!!
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:27 PM

do it right

https://www.exiss.com/low-profile-livestock-trailers/livestock-stock-box

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:39 PM

That's what I'm looking for, for my son
Posted By: Oreamnos

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:40 PM

We cut cattle panels to the proper size for the truck bed. We used quick links at the corners and as a hinges. Crimped large hog rings everywhere else. We'd ratchet strap it down before going out on the highway. We used it to haul a lot of sheep.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 08:50 PM

You could build something like this with barn board for a pretty reasonable price.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:05 PM

I have an idea that might work. What if you took 2 275 gallon liquid totes, cut off 1 side of one, 2 opposite sides of the other, wired them tightly together and rigged a door on the tote with 2 sides cut off. Then use a drill and a jig saw to cut some big holes in the plastic between the cage supports for ventilation. It would be ugly, but easy to clean and practically indestructible.

You can probably buy 2 totes for $70.00 off of Craigslist or Facebook.

Keith

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
You could build something like this with barn board for a pretty reasonable price.

[Linked Image]

That would work bud, I could even put a divider down the center.

Keith, that sounds like a cool idea!! I'm gonna look in to that. I don't mind ugly lol...

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:19 PM

I can only imagine what that would cost, but they sure are pretty!

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:21 PM

The used one in Athens is $2900.00

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
The used one in Athens is $2900.00

shocked

WOW! I need to do this on the cheap.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:29 PM

Ya its not for the average producer, my kids shows and sells show sheep all over the country and needs something like that for hauling them around .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:33 PM

Reminds me of a story a friend told me once. They showed goats in 4h as kids and had accumulated a herd of about 6 goats. After they all went to college their mom got sick of the goats and loaded them in the stock racks on the farm truck and headed to the sale barn with them. While in town at a stop light she noticed everyone around her laughing and pointing at her. She looked in back and the Billy and one nanny were making love in the back.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 09:48 PM

A trailer like this ..?

img]http:// https://www.google.com/search?q=hau...ih=601&dpr=1.33#imgrc=DJUtn3-0EshNdM[/img]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 10:43 PM

Trick I learned from an Old German Nun when I was in the service, to get a Pig up the ramp and into the truck, face it with it's back to the ramp, shove a bucket over it's head, and chase it up the ramp while it backs up.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 10:50 PM

Midlander, no lol. That's hilarious!

Bob, that sounds like it would work!
Posted By: Starbits

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 10:58 PM

just strap them down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 11:53 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/21/22 11:57 PM

That is a frame that holds it level with the tail gate of my truck, so all I have to do is push it in when I need it. I have a little tarp,I use when it’s hot. The hog pen is level with the tail gate to. So all I have to do is back to it.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 01:27 AM

Very nice Gator Foot!! Great pics.
Posted By: eedup

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 01:37 AM

Nice old dodge '69 ? I had '67 318/4spd still have back half for pickup box trailer.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 01:41 AM

I have an old cap/topper I put on to haul hogs. Throw some straw in and go.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
I have an old cap/topper I put on to haul hogs. Throw some straw in and go.

Hippie, that would work but my circumstances will require a smaller space.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 05:15 PM

Thank you everyone for all your help, I appreciate it!!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 05:53 PM

Choot'm first is always an option! wink
Posted By: MJM

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 05:56 PM

Just haul them in the cab. Slap the seat belt on them and go.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Choot'm first is always an option! wink

May need to take a little drive first! whistle
Posted By: Budzmtn

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 08:30 PM

I always used old wood pallets.
Closed off the tailgate end with 2x4s that had a gap I could slide a piece of plywood up down as a door.
Pretty easy to get free pallets.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 09:19 PM

Before my time a farmer around here used to stud out his big boar hog. He delivered him to the other farms with his old cadillac. He would open up the rear door and the boar would hop right in because he knew a few sows were ready for him after every car ride. He would stand in place of the rear seats face crammed to one door, butt to the other.

Re: Transporting hogs and other critters in pickup - 06/22/22 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Before my time a farmer around here used to stud out his big boar hog. He delivered him to the other farms with his old cadillac. He would open up the rear door and the boar would hop right in because he knew a few sows were ready for him after every car ride. He would stand in place of the rear seats face crammed to one door, butt to the other.

That would have been awesome to see!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums