Home

New Outboard.

Posted By: trapperkeck

New Outboard. - 06/21/22 10:07 PM

Looking for a new 30-40HP, 20" shaft, 4-stroke, power tilt/trim, tiller outboard motor. I would consider Yamaha, Mercury or Honda. Local dealer says everything is 1 year or more out. Anyone know where I might find one in the Eastern Dakota's, Eastern Nebraska, Northern Iowa, Western Wisconsin or Minnesota?
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: New Outboard. - 06/21/22 10:35 PM

I'm a merc guy, but I'd go Suzuki, Honda, or Yamaha.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: New Outboard. - 06/21/22 10:38 PM

I got a new Mercury with my new boat last October. I ordered the boat in February. Boat was delivered to dealer in July, but the motor didn't make it until October. The dealer said the only motors being built were already sold, and it might be 2 years before he could get any to just sell.
I'll call him tomorrow and see if anything has changed.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:41 AM

I have had all those brands of outboards. Hands down favorite is Yamaha.
Posted By: warrior

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:55 AM

I'm a two stroke fix it myself on the water if need be guy.

I won't hang anything off the back of a boat that has to hauled into town to fix, and they'll all need fixing at some point.
Posted By: warrior

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:56 AM

BTW, that makes me an OMC guy.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 04:30 AM

Yamaha is what everyone uses here. I have a 40 horse. Very dependable and never need fixing if taken care of. The fuel savings compared to a two stroke will pay for itself over time.

I have worked on them, and they are actually pretty simple. Its just a fuel pump/fuel rail going to injectors. Pretty much the same as a furnace. Of course they put on a bunch of sensors that can quit but they are easy to change, same with the brain, it just unplugs.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 06:48 AM

I’ve been running a Honda 30 pretty hard since 1997 with minimum problems. Nothing more than changing an impeller and regular maintenance .
I like the new mercury tiller. No shifter. Twist one way for forward and the other way for reverse. Best for hunting muskrats alone.
I just put a 40 Yamaha on my 16 foot Jon boat and that’s just an awesome motor. Power to spare. That will come in handy for the heavy loads that are sure to come.

Hard to give advice without knowing what kind of boat it’s going on but Yamaha’s are pretty reliable. Check with boat rental and leasing companies you can usually get a low hours motor for a decent price.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I have had all those brands of outboards. Hands down favorite is Yamaha.

If you like motors that just keep working, this is the answer
Posted By: MnMan

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 11:03 AM

I am another fan of Yamaha. I have had an 80 horse for 20 years now and it has been VERY reliable. I have only had to replace a rectifier and an impeller in all of that time. It gets almost daily use during the ice free season.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 11:32 AM

I think you fellers misunderstood the dilemma. My problem is I can't FIND any new motors for sale of any brand.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 11:34 AM

Did you try MAC Sport and Marine in Superior WI?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 11:45 AM

Would you be open to a used model that is a couple years old? You'd have much more luck there than buying a new one
Posted By: Trapset

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 12:01 PM

This…
Originally Posted by warrior

I won't hang anything off the back of a boat that has to hauled into town to fix, and they'll all need fixing at some point.

And this….

…. For me also, so I guess I’m no help either.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 12:05 PM

Used these guys last year.
Fast shipping, no issues.
Have 20", 30 hp Suzukis in stock, free shipping.

Go to.their main page FIRST, sometimes there's a " wheel" to spin, will give you an additional discount.

https://onlineoutboards.com/collections/30-hp-outboard-motors
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I think you fellers misunderstood the dilemma. My problem is I can't FIND any new motors for sale of any brand.

If you were in Ontario we could hook you up.

We had the forethought to order a whack of motors last year.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:01 PM

How many motors in a "whack"?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset

This…

And this….

…. For me also, so I guess I’m no help either.

My 200hp johnson sure was hard to fix on the water when the power pack went out, when the timing base went out, when the trim motor grenaded, and when all 6 carburetors weren't quite happy

I had a 115 2 stroke mercury before that one on another boat

Best thing I ever did was ditch those old 2 strokes that had nothing but problems
Posted By: charles

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:43 PM

I have had excellent results with my last two motor. Both were Yamaha.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 02:57 PM

O M C s are just that-outdated marine contraptions.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 03:16 PM

Yamaha or Suzuki as a close second. I have had both .. still have a little yamaha tiller steering 4 smoke for the admiral boat. That thing uses less gas than a Zippo and starts at the push of a button ...great for tolling as well.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 04:49 PM

Here in WI, the wardens rank the Yamaha the best by far and Mercury the last.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 04:54 PM

OP's not asking what's best.
He's asking WHERE can he get a new OB.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Yes, you're right.....my mistake. I don't know of any dealers that have any new outboards on hand, unsold. I suspect there may be some slightly used boat & motor rigs coming up for sale as inflation hits pocketbooks. I have a hard time believing everyone spending recklessly out there can afford all of the stuff (???).
Perhaps I'm wrong (?)

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic

Yes, you're right.....my mistake. I don't know of any dealers that have any new outboards on hand, unsold. I suspect there may be some slightly used boat & motor rigs coming up for sale as inflation hits pocketbooks. I have a hard time believing everyone spending recklessly out there can afford all of the stuff (???).
Perhaps I'm wrong (?)

I posted a link to a place on first page.
I ordered from them last spring, when I couldn't find one local.
Had 20" 30 hp Suzukis in stock when I posted.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 07:17 PM

Just ordered a new boat a couple months ago. Was hearing about moter shortage’s and asked the dealership about it. They said my 200 horse Suzuki to go on the boat wouldn’t be a problem. But they said the trolling motor and transducer’s for the new graph’s might be so no guarantee they would be here by October when the boat gets here. Will be first go round with Suzuki after running a trouble free 115 four stroke Mercury for 6 years. You might try looking for one on a Yamaha owner group on Facebook.
Posted By: gcs

Re: New Outboard. - 06/22/22 10:00 PM

New motors, as you've found, are practically unobtainable. I'm on an Island with a LOT of rec and commercial fisherman and getting a motor is a crapshoot....long waits, for few motors...it's simply outrageous.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/23/22 02:17 AM

Used these guys last year.
Fast shipping, no issues.
Have 20", 30 hp Suzukis in stock, free shipping.

Go to.their main page FIRST, sometimes there's a " wheel" to spin, will give you an additional discount.

https://onlineoutboards.com/collections/30-hp-outboard-motors

Thanks Dave, I will see what they have!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Outboard. - 06/23/22 03:05 AM

Ha! grin
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: New Outboard. - 06/23/22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Ha! grin

That’s probably the Ontario equivalent of an American “mess”
Posted By: thgreenwing

Re: New Outboard. - 06/23/22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Looking for a new 30-40HP, 20" shaft, 4-stroke, power tilt/trim, tiller outboard motor. I would consider Yamaha, Mercury or Honda. Local dealer says everything is 1 year or more out. Anyone know where I might find one in the Eastern Dakota's, Eastern Nebraska, Northern Iowa, Western Wisconsin or Minnesota?

Try Tompkins Hardware in Emo Ontario, bought from them several times over the years.
Posted By: drp

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 12:26 AM

I bought a new 20hp Honda, short shaft, electric start, power tilt last year for my old open floor 1648 G3 flat bottom.
I really wanted a 25 Yamaha, with the 20 Honda being my second choice.
My old 40 hp 2 stroke Nissan was in the process of dying and I needed a replacement as soon as possible and wanted a new motor of comparable weight, but with a few upgrade concessions to old age.
The 20hp makes no race boat but will plane off with three people or two people and fishing gear without any trouble and easily stays on plane (upper teens mph according to the fish finder) at around 2/3 throttle, which is fast enough for me in an open flat bottom boat.
I started calling dealers closest to my home first and just kept getting either "I don't know when we'll get one in." or "Give me your contact info and we'll put you on our waiting list."
Somewhere around my twelfth call the guy told me "I have no idea when I'll have another in stock, everything's back ordered, blah, blah, blah." but he offered to email his sales rep and ask for a more specific date when either might next be available.
Two days later he called and told me 6 to 8 weeks for the Honda and 6 to 8 months for the Yamaha.
So. I had to drive 90 minutes, to a little 2 man shop, to pick up the new outboard that everyone else did not take the time to actually contact their sales rep about.
Get on the phone and start asking them to call their sales rep.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 12:32 AM

I appreciate all of the replies. I am still looking/calling. Nothing yet.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 12:47 AM

Not a Suzuki fan, I take it?
Trim/ tilt, tiller, 30 hp, 20" shaft.

And IN STOCK, free shipping!

[Linked Image]

This is the world's first portable 30 hp outboard motor designed for fuel efficiency and clean power with a Battery-Less Electronic Fuel Injection engine. The 30 HP Outboard DF30ATHLW4 is an affordable outboard equipped with the 20 inch long shaft, electric start, power trim and tilt, and tiller control. This smooth running "Next Generation" four stroke delivers a fast start, fast acceleration and superior performance with amazing fuel economy. Go Lean, Clean and Green, Go Suzuki!

Authorized Suzuki Dealer - 30 HP Outboard Motors On Sale with Free Shipping includes 5-year warranty
Posted By: Osky

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 01:12 AM

Yes.
Supreme Marine in north Minneapolis. Talk to Allan. Just picked up another 50hp Merc 4 stroke 20” tiller All extras available 6875.00 plus tax. I’ve never been able to beat his prices in Minnesota.

Osky
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 11:17 AM

Very difficult to get new ones anywhere. It's driving the price of used ones up as well.
Posted By: sako22

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 12:43 PM

I have a 2021 mercury 20 hp 4 stroke fuel injected electric start long shaft that has never been on the water. Been thinking about selling it and a crestliner 1448 MV. Sounds like now might be a good time
Posted By: 50fps

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 01:02 PM

Don't shy away from a Tohatsu, there is an 8-time APBA champion that really likes them, and he has run pretty much every brand.

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 50fps
Don't shy away from a Tohatsu, there is an 8-time APBA champion that really likes them, and he has run pretty much every brand.

That's what I bought from the website I linked, no issues.

Plus, they MAKE some of the Mercury's...
Posted By: gman

Re: New Outboard. - 06/28/22 04:14 PM

Just picked up another 50hp Merc 4 stroke 20” tiller All extras available 6875.00 plus tax

Top pick for me-by far the best OB I have ever run.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums