Home

Couldn't stand to listen to the news

Posted By: Anonymous

Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 11:01 AM

The Mrs. and I just got back from my family reunion in La Claire, IA, birthplace of our family's recognizable namesake, William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill), which was a really fun time....
and on the way home we turned on a satellite news station to "see what's going on"....

and we turned it off after 5 minutes.
Predictions on chaos related to an impending SCOTUS abortion ruling.
Sports commentary chaos related to transvestites in women's sports.
Chaos
Immorality
Chaos
Immorality
Chaos

Donna and I agreed that living in the IA prairie in 1846, when the territory opened to settlers, was no cake walk and that life itself was harsh.
But our descendants were a hearty people who were "God fearing" and who, in many cases, rode the trail with a worn out Bible.
Not perfect people mind you, but salt of the earth people who worshipped on Sunday after working hard all week.

A favorite portion of the reunion for me was when a writer, Matthew Kerns, gave an account of "Texas Jack," Buffalo Bills closest friend. Buffalo Bills graveside eulogy for his friend was a tribute to God, country, friendship and life for those who lived such a life 150 years ago.

Here's Matthew's new book on Texas Jack. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/texas-jack-matthew-kerns/1134712085
I'm enjoying it very much.

My, how we've cast that way of life overboard and traded it for "stuff" and 1000 pleasures.
Now-a-days, everyone gets to play god.
And it makes for news a person can't stand to listen to.

Simpler was better back then I think.
Not easier.
Just simpler.
And better for those things in life that really matter.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 11:38 AM

I don't watch the news and have not watched "regular" TV in a few years.

Matter of fact I don't watch much TV at all any more and better off for it.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 11:42 AM

I’ve done the same thing. I’ve tried listening to news on the radio, tried watching on tv. I want to be educated about what’s going on in our country and world but I just can’t do news!! Honestly, I get updates on current events from Trapperman! I don’t always read all the comments but I do hit the headlines. I really don’t want to put my head in the sand yet I can’t stand the news!
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 11:58 AM

There was a time when news was reported on Radio and TV . In todays world those reporters want to be the news. They do not report facts.They give their op[inions and speculate on all kinds of possible things that may happen But the true goal is to have the best ratings for their time slot so they make more money through advertising. I have mostly quite watching it because it ends up making me angry
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 12:34 PM

Were things really better because they were simpler back then Mark? In 1800 approximately 46% of kids didn’t make it to their fifth birthday. Are there not little rural cemeteries everywhere down there like here displaying the carnage in the form of child death from the days of those God fearing , Bible carrying people?
Posted By: TC1

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 12:53 PM

Maybe humans, like nature would be better off if only the strong survived. Sad, but something to ponder in todays troubled world, where the weakest sometimes hold great power.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 02:36 PM

My formative years were in the fiftys. Those were good years when most people were very patriotic and a strong religious belief. Not many of the overly rich people, who everyone seems to adore now days! It has become a contest of who can have the most stuff....toys, money and power over your fellow man. I often say how I hate the world we know today, but not much we can do to change it. I only hope for better days ahead. I shut off our cable tv when Oblabla got reelected. Use the tv to watch a movie once in awhile. I have found that I'm too busy for tv anymore, and don't miss it at all! Try it, you'll like it!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 03:11 PM

It sure would be a breath of fresh air if - the "good guys" came over the Emergency Broadcast System announcing the truth and how things were going to be turned around cool
Posted By: Boco

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 03:18 PM

The biggest problem today is everyone on all sides trying to force other people to think like them.(Bible thumpers are not exempt)
People need to respect other people,and their freedom of choice and not go around trying to nail imaginary lifts on other peoples shoes.
One good example is the animal rights crowd.If you dont want to wear fur,that is fine with me-freeze or move to where its warm-dont try to force me to think like you when I have made my choice.That is disrespectful.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 09:34 PM

That is why I enjoy going camping in the high country in the Idaho Rockies. No tv, cell phone service or internet. Feel a lot more alive.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/22/22 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
There was a time when news was reported on Radio and TV . In todays world those reporters want to be the news. They do not report facts.They give their op[inions and speculate on all kinds of possible things that may happen But the true goal is to have the best ratings for their time slot so they make more money through advertising. I have mostly quite watching it because it ends up making me angry

This^^^

You and I are on the same page!!!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by rvsask
Were things really better because they were simpler back then Mark? In 1800 approximately 46% of kids didn’t make it to their fifth birthday. Are there not little rural cemeteries everywhere down there like here displaying the carnage in the form of child death from the days of those God fearing , Bible carrying people?

It may have been tough, but at least those folks knew which gender they were.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 01:18 AM

Sounds like your blaming having faith,,,on not having the same medical knowledge we have today.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Sounds like your blaming having faith,,,on not having the same medical knowledge we have today.

Well said upstateNY
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 01:25 AM

Haven't watched news since Obummer won re election, figured if the country was that stupid wasn't any reason for me to worry with anything anymore, just sit in my boxcar while they drive us off a cliff.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 01:38 AM

It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulate me. That's when I first saw the leftwing bias. They converted me.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulateme.

I got the same way with watching Fox News.
I'm way right but once I started seeing them pulling off manipulation crap, I quit watching.
Shaun Hannity really started to get to me. He never let's anyone finish a sentence without blurring in.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
The biggest problem today is everyone on all sides trying to force other people to think like them.(Bible thumpers are not exempt)
People need to respect other people,and their freedom of choice and not go around trying to nail imaginary lifts on other peoples shoes.
One good example is the animal rights crowd.If you dont want to wear fur,that is fine with me-freeze or move to where its warm-dont try to force me to think like you when I have made my choice.That is disrespectful.

If you're referring to intolerance, I'd say that is part of my argument. Intolerant people are insecure people at their core because tolerance is not a righteous action.
But biblically speaking, all followers of Christ are instructed to be tolerant;
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love; Ephesians 4:2.

And if someone reads this and confuses this with "acceptance" of everything people do, that's not what the Apostle Paul is referring to.

Paul's letter to the believers in Ephesus, the 2nd largest city of it's day, and the location of the 7th wonder of the world, the temple of Artemus, is a perfectly laid out teaching for all believers today to reflect upon.

Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all
(Eph 4:1–6).

God owns it all.
And people who were our ancestors, especially up until the late 19th century, were quite dedicated and reverent to the fact that God owns it all.
I enjoy hearing those "old time" eulogies from that time span.
They were often written with great care and much reverence for the sanctity of God, life, family, and friendship.
As it should be.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:53 AM

I'm not sure what you're saying here rvsask.
Infant mortality has always accompanied humans until the coming of modern immunizations reduced it dramatically in modern nations.

Could it be that a people who are more in tune with death would have more reverence for the beauty and wonder of life?
I minister and support people who are facing grave circumstances, including impending death, and I know that there is in all of us a desire to realize what is true and what is not. Especially as people approach the end of their lives.

The mysteries of life are all around us.
Where we seek to find individual and corporate answers speaks volumes about our legacy and all will be considered and reflected upon by many people who'll come from us.

Blessings!
Mark
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
It was the mid1980s when I came to understand the MSM was trying to manipulate me. That's when I first saw the leftwing bias. They converted me.

Rush opened my eyes to it in 1992
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 11:38 AM

A lot of medical advancements were made when man understood the concept of no-see-ums in the drinking water. God was way ahead of us with Laws of Hygiene in the times when man didn't have microscopes and couldn't understand the mechanics of why Gods' laws were good. Of course quarantines then for lepers, today would be against the individuals rights when implemented for say ebola.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 11:38 AM

Oh that's rich! First you say the problem is that "everyone on all sides trying to force other people to think like them". Then, in your very next sentence you proclaim what you think everyone needs to do. That's just about the height of hypocrisy! crazy
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 12:58 PM

Mark, it could be. It could also be wondered if people who don’t think there is an afterlife are more in tune with the beauty and wonder of life too you know. In my experience they are.

All I know is that my great grandma said there was nothing good about the good old days. She lived the early 1900’s not me, so I’m thinking her insight is better than mine. What I do know is that those that pretend they’d rather go back there are just that, pretenders. The ignorance that accompanied those people living in those times definitely helped to contribute to the fact that so many kinds and mothers died then. Was it willful ignorance? What contributed most to that ignorance is bliss lifestyle?

Upstate, I’m not blaming faith, just pointing out that it didn’t do much to make circumstances better outside of coming to terms with another dead kid.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 03:09 PM

I disagree with your "EVERYONE on all sides" comment. to put things in perspective I'm right wing, just a little right of Reagan (he was wrong on immigration) and I don't care what you do,(within the law) what you put where with who (leave the kids alone) or what you want to be ( mflgbtqkqrs), or what you say. (I want everybody to hear how crazy you are) Nor am I going to FORCE you think, act, or agree with me. And I do not think I am in the minority of the "right" or conservative view.
But unfortunately there ARE crazy people on my side who would FORCE you think, act, or agree with them. May they be on the first rocket into the sun.
I want you to be able to do and think whatever you want, but I DEMAND that you do the same for me. Perhaps you're confusing this "demand" for me wanting others to think like me.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 03:17 PM

TV is on for a total of 10 minutes a day as my wife and I watch the local weather report(s). Try to gather as much news as I can stomach online via various websites but even then it takes a a lot of discernment to flesh out the truth no matter what site I happen to be on. Try to make the most of life and enjoy God's creation as that provides me with the most sanity as I weave my way through my life here on earth.

Chris

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quartermastersir

I disagree with your "EVERYONE on all sides" comment. to put things in perspective I'm right wing, just a little right of Reagan (he was wrong on immigration) and I don't care what you do,(within the law) what you put where with who (leave the kids alone) or what you want to be ( mflgbtqkqrs), or what you say. (I want everybody to hear how crazy you are) Nor am I going to FORCE you think, act, or agree with me. And I do not think I am in the minority of the "right" or conservative view.
But unfortunately there ARE crazy people on my side who would FORCE you think, act, or agree with them. May they be on the first rocket into the sun.
I want you to be able to do and think whatever you want, but I DEMAND that you do the same for me. Perhaps you're confusing this "demand" for me wanting others to think like me.

I'm not confusing anything-there are just as many forcers on the right as the left.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 06:33 PM

God loves all.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 09:57 PM

I agree with you boco. For instance, if someone wants to get a shot that they think immunizes them against a disease they should. If they don't want to, they shouldn't be forced to because someone else wants them to.

Bravo boco. You do have some respect for other people. I am proud of you for finally respecting other peoples choices and opinions.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:21 PM

I was always for the choice.Just make sure you follow the law after you make your choice,and dont go around infecting others if you choose not to get immunized.
That is not forcing,it is your choice,and other peoples choice who want to get the shot and carry on.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:25 PM

Perhaps you should elect people who agree with your opinion. Such a shame you have the piece of crap you have and yet we never had to deal with anything near what your government enforced.

So the days of you calling truckers of Canada criminals and vagrants are over. It is wonderful how you now see the err of your ways.

People can change after all.

What a respectful person you have become.

I am proud of you boco.

smile

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:33 PM

I havent changed my opinion at all,
If you choose not to get vaxed I have the choice also not to be exposed to your filthy infested carcass in public.
Your choice my choice.Just like other public health laws i dont have to put up with you urinating or defecating in the street.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:37 PM

I agree. So if you ever see my filthy infested carcass, please get out of my way. I have a life to live free of fear.

Now if I were you, I would be more worried about what your beloved trudump is going to do to your ability to own firearms LEGALLY.

You see, I know this bothers you because you are a law and order man and follow all laws like a good canadian subject.

I worry for you also boco. Good luck in your endeavors to legally keep your firearms.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:39 PM

Boco wears a mask in his vehicle fo sho! Question is does he wear one on the snowmobile on his trap line?
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:42 PM

I havent changed my opinion at all,
If you choose not to get vaxed I have the choice also not to be exposed to your filthy infested carcass in public.
Your choice my choice.Just like other public health laws i dont have to put up with you urinating or defecating in the street.

Unless a person lives in one of our liberal run big cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles, that person has to put up with not only scum bags urinating and defecating in the streets but in places like grocery stores. As far as being vaxed, I am and still got the Omicron virus. So much for the jabs protecting me from Covid.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:44 PM

Never wore a mask and still have all my guns,Never lost a single one.
You can make stupid choices but you have to pay the price.
You can choose to shoot someone-that is your choice,unfortunately for you others dont have to put up with your stupid choices because there are consequences for making them.
It bothers you because you cant go around being irresponsible.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 10:53 PM

No what bothers me is I have to be around people who are told they are being responsible by proven liars and tell me I am the one who should get with the program.

Those type of people are, as you say, ejits.

But you aren't like that anymore. You have come to a place of peace and harmony and now respect other people's opinions and choices. Heck you have stopped calling people who have difference of opinion with you silly names like infested and filthy.

My heart is filled with joy now knowing how respectful you have now become.

I am proud of you boco.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/23/22 11:13 PM

Your a phoney.
Like a little kid who wants his puddin without eating his meat.

Re: Couldn't stand to listen to the news - 06/24/22 02:19 AM

Mark, it could be. It could also be wondered if people who don’t think there is an afterlife are more in tune with the beauty and wonder of life too you know. In my experience they are.

All I know is that my great grandma said there was nothing good about the good old days. She lived the early 1900’s not me, so I’m thinking her insight is better than mine. What I do know is that those that pretend they’d rather go back there are just that, pretenders. The ignorance that accompanied those people living in those times definitely helped to contribute to the fact that so many kinds and mothers died then. Was it willful ignorance? What contributed most to that ignorance is bliss lifestyle?

Upstate, I’m not blaming faith, just pointing out that it didn’t do much to make circumstances better outside of coming to terms with another dead kid.

The people who came before us were ignorant? Is that your thesis?
Why are you arguing for life and the accompanying grieving which is natural in us if your atheism belief system parks on progression of a species?
That's a Christian construct and has no place in evolutionary theory you realize.
Being smarter as we all and all.

Blessings,
Mark
© 2024 Trapperman Forums