Home

SQUASH BUGS!! I quit

Posted By: foxkidd44

SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 11:36 AM

It seems every year they get me and destroy my punkins and zucchini’s,,, everything else in the garden rocks taters, okra, beans, maters, cucumbers,,, I burn off all trash from the garden every fall,, try to keep the eggs off the leaves when I see them,, even tried neem,,, no good. I think they called up their buddies from 3 counties to coms and attack foxkidd44 garden out of spite. I think this will be my last year,,, tired of fighting with them. Unless there’s a type of punkin out their that’s been developed to withstand them
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 11:39 AM

Liquid 7.
Posted By: run

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 11:41 AM

Dietomaceous earth is what I recommend. It kills the bugs and enriches the soil too.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by run
Dietomacous earth is what I recommend. It kills the bugs and enriches the soil too.

This
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
It seems every year they get me and destroy my punkins and zucchini’s,,,

Tried it all too. DE, 7, nothing affect them here. Soapy water ..... just gets them squeaky clean.
How big of a patch ?
I finally beat them this year. Takes a bit of dirty work, but only takes a few minutes.Check almost daily under every leaf that is on the ground and kill them by hand (very gratifying).
They're just hiding, and breeding. Get them before any eggs are laid. They only do 1 generation per year.
Only feasible for a small patch, but boy ! What a difference !
I do 8 plants ... 4 yellow and 4 zucchini, no pumpkins.
Also, they do well here if you wait till later in the year. The bugs are mostly gone by then, here anyway.
I feel your pain.
Some (small patch) put bug nets over the plants and manually pollinate. Seems more work than just pickin the bugs off by hand.
Posted By: run

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot
Originally Posted by foxkidd44
It seems every year they get me and destroy my punkins and zucchini’s,,,

Tried it all too. DE, 7, nothing affect them here. Soapy water ..... just gets them squeaky clean.
How big of a patch ?
I finally beat them this year. Takes a bit of dirty work, but only takes a few minutes.Check almost daily under every leaf that is on the ground and kill them by hand (very gratifying).
They're just hiding, and breeding. Get them before any eggs are laid. They only do 1 generation per year.
Only feasible for a small patch, but boy ! What a difference !
I do 8 plants ... 4 yellow and 4 zucchini, no pumpkins.
Also, they do well here if you wait till later in the year. The bugs are mostly gone by then, here anyway.
I feel your pain.
Some (small patch) put bug nets over the plants and manually pollinate. Seems more work than just pickin the bugs off by hand.

This sounds like fun, LOL.
Posted By: Josh D

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 04:53 PM

I’ve struggled with them for years as well. This year I did a mixture of neem oil and trazicide. Seems to have worked better than anything else I’ve done. The bonus is that it should also work to keep ants and worms out of the corn also.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 05:10 PM

I've heard that planting Marigolds all over the garden will keep them away.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 05:33 PM

pyganic insecticide will kill them can be used the day of harvest.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2
pyganic insecticide will kill them can be used the day fo harvest.

.... but just remember not to spray when bees or other beneficials are active, since it's broad spectrum and doesn't differentiate between good and unwanted bugs.

....... It kills the larvae and young pretty well, but it's not as effective on adults.
Aside from hand-picking it's one of the more effective organics for stink/squash bugs when properly applied, though.
Posted By: gcs

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/22/22 10:45 PM

Butternut squash resists them pretty well, pumpkins not so much, zucchinis? you get one early batch out of them, but who wants zucchinis anyway?, lol

Diatomaceous earth only kills the nymphs, not the adults, a good dusting when the nymphs are eating helps but hard for the dust to get into thick foliage...

I plant the butternuts late, avoids most of them.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: SQUASH BUGS!! I quit - 06/23/22 02:28 AM

I have heard of people laying a piece of 2x4 beside or near the plants. It gives the bugs a place to hide/sleep. Lift up the board in the morning and spray 7 or ortho on them.

I have read ortho works better on squash bugs. Bifenthrin.

I hate squash bugs as bad as japanese beetles and june bugs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums