Home

Gun control and RINOS

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 08:57 PM

I looked to see if this had been posted already but don't see it on here?

The U.S. Senate voted Tuesday to advance a new bipartisan gun control bill in a procedural move that saw 14 Republicans support firearm restrictions.

The 64 to 34 vote was a crucial step in potentially passing the legislation, signaling that it may eclipse the 60-vote threshold needed to break a filibuster in the Senate when the bill comes up for an official vote. The bill would need the backing of 10 Republicans and all Senate Democrats to avoid a filibuster.

If the Senate breaks a filibuster, the bill would then be put up for a final passage vote. From there, the House would have to vote on the legislation before it can land on President Biden's desk.

The 80-page bill was released Tuesday evening and includes expanded background checks for gun buyers under 21, provides grants for states that implement their own red flag laws and offers additional funding for both school safety measures and mental health services.

The measure also creates penalties for straw purchases of firearms, requires more gun sellers to register as Federally Licensed Firearm Dealers and closes the so-called boyfriend loophole by prohibiting gun access for people convicted of domestic abuse against an intimate partner.

The bill follows a bipartisan framework from earlier this month that 10 Republican senators had already signed on to. That framework on gun control measures was the basis of Tuesday's legislation.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, the bill's lead GOP negotiator, both voted in favor of the legislation proceeding.

"I support the bill text that Sen. Cornyn and our colleagues have produced," McConnell said in a statement Tuesday evening.

The other 12 Senate Republicans to approve the proposal's advancement are Senators Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Todd Young of Indiana, Thom Tillis and Richard Burr of North Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Mitt Romney of Utah, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Rob Portman of Ohio, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Roy Blunt of Missouri.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, said on the Senate Floor that the chamber will "move to final passage as soon as possible" and that he expects the bill to pass by the end of the week.

And House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, said in a statement, "After the Senate passes this bill, the House will swiftly bring it to the Floor so that we can send it to President Biden’s desk."

President Joe Biden is expected to sign the legislation if it passes the Senate and the House.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-advances-bipartisan-gun-control-legislation
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:08 PM

Republicans are all pro gun don't you know. It's better than it could have been, the lesser than two evils. Did I cover all the excuses yet?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:14 PM

Real disappointed in Rob Portman, dang.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:19 PM

If this moves forward that may change the course of the battleship of federal politics and we could work on some meaningful border control, immigration, ways to slow the national debt increase, what tax code or system do we want in place wthen the one we have sunsets in 3 years etc. Actually work on some issues that are not directly partisian or cultural which are typically intended to divide and create barriers to change or legislation.

Bryce
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
If this moves forward that may change the course of the battleship of federal politics and we could work on some meaningful border control, immigration, ways to slow the national debt increase, what tax code or system do we want in place wthen the one we have sunsets in 3 years etc. Actually work on some issues that are not directly partisian or cultural which are typically intended to divide and create barriers to change or legislation.

Bryce

I'm really not followng you Bryce. Both party's seem more interested in the mid-terms and 2024 than finding solutions to anything. The current administration doesn't seem to have slowing the national debt increase on their rador. Border security either.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:41 PM

From what Ive read so far about this bill, I dont see anything YET that I cant live with.

Before yall pile on me, I will say that I think we should be enforcing the laws we already have instead of going thru this hoopla of creating more laws that arent gonna be enforced and infringes more on the 2A.

But, we all knew something was gonna happen after all these mentally-deranged incidents.

How will the "new" law affect you personnally? This is a serious question as I may be overlooking something.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:50 PM

I'm very disappointed in Joni Ernst. I called her office and left a message for her, letting her know I wasn't happy with her vote or the bill.

How many of you folks have contacted your representatives?
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
I'm very disappointed in Joni Ernst. I called her office and left a message for her, letting her know I wasn't happy with her vote or the bill.

I contacted both of mine as soon as the bill came up and urged them not to vote for it. It appears they both voted no.
Posted By: corky

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 09:56 PM

I did. Ron Johnson voted no. Tammy Baldwin voted yes and didn't respond. No surprises there.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 10:02 PM

None of that restricts anyone that is law abiding citizen from buying any type of firearm that is already legal. I'm stupid so please post HOW this will stop any of you from buying your 10th AR? How it prevents you from acquiring that 100 round drum for your "project".
Jump up and down and throw a whiney fit and call your congressman. But how many of you called when they where giving UKRAINE BILLIONS of dollars? Passing one stupid bill after another?
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 10:16 PM

I called and emailed my congressman and senators.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate your concern.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 10:57 PM

Apportioning money to states to help draft red flag laws should be a non starter.

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 10:58 PM

So you guys are in favor of NOT funding safer schools? When a mass shooting happens like in Texas most on here say "mental health" This bill gives more monies toward dealing with that issue. BUT call your congressman tell him NO WAY ! We don't need that money. That 19 year old shouldn't have to wait 3 days to get that gun !!!
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
So you guys are in favor of NOT funding safer schools? When a mass shooting happens like in Texas most on here say "mental health" This bill gives more monies toward dealing with that issue. BUT call your congressman tell him NO WAY ! We don't need that money. That 19 year old shouldn't have to wait 3 days to get that gun !!!

Safe schools don't work. They've already proven that.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 11:14 PM

My understanding is if you have a tiff with your intimate one, you're denied a gun purchase for five years.
Red flag laws can be troublesome in many ways.

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/22/22 11:25 PM

Like I said many times. Well it's not that bad, does not affect me something was going to happen. Just as bad as the rinos . Guess they are just willfully ignorant about how incremental gun control works and how these laws tent to creep and definitions change.

Keep lying to yourself and bury your heads in the sand. Your worse than. The people openly wanting to ban guns
At least they are honest about what they stand for. The others try to stand on the constitution while using it for toilet paper. Probably because you don't understand what freedom cost, how easy it is to lose.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 12:07 AM

Me too, Craig. I left a message also!

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

Neither do waiting periods.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 12:53 AM

Is there anything in the 80 page bill that would require armed police officers at the scene of a school shooting to take action and immobilize the shooter? Maybe there should be.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Republicans are all pro gun don't you know. It's better than it could have been, the lesser than two evils. Did I cover all the excuses yet?

I liken it to stepping in a big pile of dog poo and someone telling you that you should be happy you had shoes on and weren’t barefoot, but you still have on your shoes

Originally Posted by bblwi

Bryce

Really they have shown repeatedly that they don’t care about anything you listed in fact are all for it, as for gun violence their all for that as well just look at their policies enacted by their liberal DAs and judges that turn out repeat offenders, but hay they do at least confiscated the gun first, the conclusion I have come to is that it’s a ploy to turn people desperate enough to bite onto loosing their rights and giving control to the government

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

Yea and neither do seat belts . Heck people wear them and still die !!
Can’t say safe schools don’t work ? Yes shooting still happens but how many did it prevent?

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 01:03 AM

No way to know.
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 02:36 AM

Those who give up freedom for safety will have neither.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by riverratdm
Those who give up freedom for safety will have neither.

And vice versa.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 03:09 AM

No Boco you are wrong. You would still have freedoms. Ignorant statement.
Slippery slope, every time limits are placed freedoms are lost.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 03:15 AM

Safety first.
Everyone needs to learn gun safety.
Go on utube and look at all the idiots shooting themselves.
Real freedom I guess cause they gave up safety for freedom,lol.
Safery is paramount on the jobsite also.
Yours is the ignorant statement.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Safety first.

Shut - up --- wear your tinfoil hat, mask, goggles, hearing protection, and rubber suit --- and whatever else it takes to make you feel free --- sorry, just got done with a session with my liberal sil -- don't need more of that crap tonight.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 08:56 AM

what happened to all the big r supporters on tman that were chastising me for refusing to vote romney for president? you folks need to be making excusaes for him today. remember he is your guy. whole different agenda than obama had
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 08:59 AM

Anybody else wonder if there is a difference in big r and big d or do the same people boss both parties?
'

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Anybody else wonder if there is a difference in big r and big d or do the same people boss both parties?
'

I don't wonder it's what I have been saying for several years now. Controlled opposition. Gives the people the illusion they have a choice and say in the government and it keeps them compliant and good little subject.

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Safety first.

Just don't try to defend yourself. Even if you do it safely.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
From what Ive read so far about this bill, I dont see anything YET that I cant live with.

Before yall pile on me, I will say that I think we should be enforcing the laws we already have instead of going thru this hoopla of creating more laws that arent gonna be enforced and infringes more on the 2A.

But, we all knew something was gonna happen after all these mentally-deranged incidents.

How will the "new" law affect you personnally? This is a serious question as I may be overlooking something.

Wont be any shootings at schools until they want more .This whole thing was orchestrated by gun control people . watch and see
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 12:13 PM

The issue isn't the money's for mental health. The issue with the bill is the inclusion of federal incentive for states to create individual red flag laws. And if your not up to date, red flag laws, presume guilt and provide for confiscation of personal property without due process. Clearly a limit places on both state and federal governments by the Constitution.

Evil will always be evil; it will always exist! Any response to violence is always reactive.

So to get the good money's for mental health, which is truly lacking, urge the removal of all red flag references and funding along with the other non-talked about potential gun restrictions for those on Medicare from the current written bill.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Gun control and RINOS - 06/23/22 01:08 PM

Guilty until proven innocent, not what this country was founded on. Freedom comes with a price.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums