Home

Should I get my daughter a horse? poll

Posted By: Dstone1992

Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:51 AM

Long story short I fenced off 4 acres and planted orchard grass to raise a couple steers. Well my daughter reallyyyyy wants a horse she has rode a few times and is hooked. She's an honor student and easy going. ( she did not get that from me...) I also have a boy who got a four wheeler for Christmas and has all the stuff a boy needs. She never asks for much, I personally think she deserves it and think she has the drive to take care of it. My friends wife is big in horses and said she would come over and help her learn the ins and outs. I know nothing about them either. So let's have a poll should we dive in get her a horse? What's your thoughts?
Posted By: keets

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:54 AM

oh yes.....
Posted By: Boco

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:54 AM

Absolutely.
She sounds like a great daughter,and dads are supposed to spoil their daughters.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:55 AM

I would have her spend a year helping and working with your friend's wife's horses before getting her one of her own, if she's still interested.

Keith
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:58 AM

Keith x2
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:05 AM

[Linked Image]

I don't think you should say no , but

I'm with Keith , let her see the headache side of things and see if she is still on board
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:08 AM

How old is your daughter? What does she want to do with it? Do you have a trailer? Is there a 4h group near you all?
Good kids horses are at a premium rite now so even tho it may cost a bunch remember no matter how much you spend that will be the cheap part. The newness wears off fast with out someone to ride with or staying in the same pasture.

Have you tried to get her to play golf? Way easier on the body and checkbook
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:09 AM

4 acres
2 steers & horse
= subsidized year round hay feeding
Posted By: Boco

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:14 AM

If it dont work out sell it to the glue factory.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:31 AM

Don’t forget to figure up the feed bill, vet bill, farrier bill, and the cost of riding equipment, and if you do get her a horse remember she’s not an experienced rider so spend the money on one that’s bomb proof because if you don’t you’ll be paying for emergency room visits for your daughter as well. $10-$15 thousand isnt unreasonable for a really good grade (unpapered) kids horse.

Horses aren’t cheap, but they can be worth it.
Posted By: martyd

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:50 AM

Safety safety safety. Must wear a helmet. A lot of things can go wrong failing 4 feet on your head or back. Marty

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:54 AM

It'd be cheaper to buy her , her own four wheeler or side x side or 1/8 mile drag car
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:58 AM

Having her work with the neighbor may not be a bad idea.

However, I do believe a horse is one of the very best animals for a youngun to have. I have seen several kids that were, let's say, lazy, stubborn, some on the verge of being in real trouble, get a chance with a horse and the horse was a huge help to and for them. Your daughter isn't any of those, so a horse may be a great thing for her to learn with.

I can tell ya from experience, horses are really good at creating bonds that last a lifetime. As long as the human half does their part, the horse will follow and love doing it.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:58 AM

One can never have to much coyote bait..... that's what I remind my 5 horses about everyday
Posted By: g smith

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:59 AM

Yes get her a older cheap horse .If she forgets it when its cold ,windy ,rainy and miserable outside then you can sell it and not lose a lot . They can be difficult when riding alone (no other horses along ) If she is serious it will be good .
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:27 AM

Like stated the horse is the cheapest part. How old Is she how many places are there to ride close, friends to ride with ect..

Like to go out of town now you need someone reliable to come feed and water.

Yes I think horses are great but know all the cost first.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:34 AM

Get a good older horse. And the friend who is willing to help. Responsibility, pride , athletic ability learned, friendship with ranching , 4H type folks.

Got my vote.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:39 AM

Horses are the devil -- no good reason to ever have one -- have I mentioned I don't like horses. Get her a 4-wheeler instead at least they usually start when you want them to and when you turn the key off it stops costing you money. Just my point of view. grin

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by H2ORat
Horses are the devil -- no good reason to ever have one -- have I mentioned I don't like horses. Get her a 4-wheeler instead at least they usually start when you want them to and when you turn the key off it stops costing you money. Just my point of view. grin

I was thinking the same , but was trying to be nice grin
Posted By: Remington700

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:08 AM

Definitely get the horse. My daughter has one and rodeos with it. They are a lot of fun and the teach responsibilities through daily chores and care. Horses are expensive in the long run though.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:47 AM

The thing I would think about is what happens down the road? Your daughter will move out some day, will she take the horse with her?

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
The thing I would think about is what happens down the road? Your daughter will move out some day, will she take the horse with her?

No it says at dad's and gives the grand daughter something to ride at grandpa's house.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:09 AM

#1 Accidents #2 Feed ,Farrier , Vet bills all this is big money think about it and why they call them hay burners
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I would have her spend a year helping and working with your friend's wife's horses before getting her one of her own, if she's still interested.

Keith

Good advice here. She still gets the experience without the cost for the first year. Kids pick up hobbies and drop them quickly. Horses are an investment.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:53 AM

^^^^^
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 11:25 AM

Nothing better for the inside rf a kid, than the outside of a horse.

Charlie
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 11:39 AM

Get her a good riding mule.
Much safer. They won’t hurt themselves like a stupid horse.
Much smarter, safer, less health problems.
Unless someone wants a race horse, I have no idea why someone has a horse over a mule.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:06 PM

I fed and took care of my daughters horse for years after she graduated and moved away, finally I sold it. That being said, I would do it again, get the RIGHT horse or nothing at all. Do not be tempted with a bargain horse.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:15 PM

My youngest daughter wanted a horse. Luckily for me the farm behind my property boards horses. I came to an arrangement with the owner, my daughter mucked stables, fed, watered, groomed and did all the other associated chores in exchange for riding lessons.

After about a year she became a close trusted friend of the owner's wife (who ran the boarding operation) and was able to tack up and ride any horse she wanted on the trails all around this area as long as the horse's owner wasn't planning on riding it that day.

This went on for more than ten years until she married and started a family. Between working full time and raising a family she no longer has time for horses.

So it worked out well for me, I'm not stuck with a horse! grin

Maybe you could set your daughter up in a similar situation?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:21 PM

I know nothing about horses other than a good one is a pleasure to ride and a bad one will make you so sore you can’t hardly walk for two days after riding it.
If you decide to buy, don’t go cheap.
I can’t give advise on others kids, I don’t know them. If YOU think this is what she wants and responsible enough then go for it. I’ve never bought anything I couldn’t sell and recover or make my money back plus some.
I can tell you this, I’ve never had a girl, all boys. I do have a granddaughter, and unfortunately if she wants something when she gets older, then Papa will get it for her, lol.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:23 PM

Get her a dog or a job working with horses. Once you cross over it’s a lifetime disease that there is no cure for.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:34 PM

I've been through this. Buy a four wheeler.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:48 PM

I've been there and done that. It could be a great idea, or a lousy one, depending on your situation. I'll say this, if all you have is the pasture and no trails, or friends to share with, it could become boring real fast...then all you have is a lawn ornament that you can't get rid of cause it's "her" horse, and the darn things can live to 40 years.

Maybe a job working at a stable and getting lessons would be best for now, with the idea of getting her own down the road....Just remember, if she goes off to college or gets married and moves away, you get to take care of the horse. Forever... good luck.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 12:52 PM

You can lease horses, a summer lease of an older well trained horse to evaluate interest could save a ton of $$$, plus you could send it back for the winter.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 01:01 PM

Get one that is also broke to drive. You'll be needing a buggy the way gas is going.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 01:32 PM

My younger daughter wanted one from the time she was real small. By the time she was nine she had broke her angus cow to lead, ride and pick up her feet. We got her a colt and she broke it. She spent way more time working with the colt than any adult would. She has had and broke several horses since. She has over a half dozen now. Horses are not cheap, but you did you have kids to help save money? Her boy with a colt. He even rides them when they are sleeping. When this colt is old enough to ride it will be a climb on and go horse. Like a dog, the more time you spend with one the better it is. I have no regrets getting into live stock and horses.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 01:44 PM

There's an old story about a guy that paid good money for a real nice horse.
Got the horse home and realized he had no hay to feed the horse.
Went to the neighbor who agreed to trade him a load of hay for the horse.
Got home and realized he had no horse to eat the hay.
Same neighbor agreed to loan him the horse back until the hay was gone.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:02 PM

There's a lot of other things ur daughter could find to do to occupy her time. Somethings that would make u wish u would of gotten her a horse. If u can swing it I say go for it. As far as vet bills, they are just like dogs, the vet can milk for a lot of $ if u let them.... short of an emergency I just worm my horses and that's it. Never had one die yet in 45 years. Farrier work isn't to hard if ur just trimming. If she watches closely she can do it herself after watching the Farrier a time or two.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:35 PM

I second the riding mule idea. Lady came to pickup 100 bales of hay yesterday......keeps two mules. One is a big white pacing mule for trail rides. As per lady......mule incredibly gentile.....will not spook.......and has dining habits like a goat. Seeks out and first eats stuff like cockle burrs, multiflora rose, poison ivy, brambles, etc. Could not give her a horse........no amount of money could get her to part with that mule.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Just hope WHEN she gets hurt not IF that it's not life changing.....

Your just a ray of sunshine aren't you
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:01 PM

There is danger getting out of bed in the morning. How do some folks face the day?

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:04 PM

Sheesh.

I've had some falls but I never was hurt seriously, and am in no pain from them at all. And that is from years in cross country jumping , gaining some serious time in air over them.

People say that stuff about 4 wheelers too. And bikes.

Never vechiles.... grin

Mules are great. But they need to be seasoned to become the ones that are so amazing. So do horses. Many miles under the cinch.

Working at a stable or for someone else in barn care and riding other folk's steeds is a good idea .

Yes they are money in maintaining properly, so is everything else to various degrees.

Everything is a risk in accident.

The fact that kids want to enjoy an outdoor hobby in this day and age of being stuck on a smartphone, should be really encouraged. Horses teach us about "horsenality", which easily transfers to human personality. Learning to work with the sensitivity in moods in animals actually gives insight to dealing also with humans, as to instinctual reactions , and some other things. I can't say how often I've heard people say that they deal with their animals the same way as kids, kindness, consistency in discipline.

Get a grip, jbyrd63, and while you're at it, stop by a pony ride ring and have a spin on a small one .
grin
Posted By: Longbeard12

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 03:09 PM

Get it, kids are only little once. She will never forget it
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:01 PM

Darn right get her a horse just remember the old standing joke .

What do you call a father of kids who have horses ..... Daddy no bucks !

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:08 PM

Just hope WHEN she gets hurt not IF that it's not life changing.....

Good horsemanship and the right horse make it as safe as any other activity. Jbird u should stick to a subject u know something about..... not sure what that is but surely there's something.....

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 04:26 PM

Yes sir that's funny there ^^^^^^

My vote is for getting the horse I brought up some things for you to think about but as said before the best thing for the inside of a kid is the outside of a horse. Wet saddle blankets and the responsibility that comes with it will be a good thing.

My youngest and a couple pics of her rides at different times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:04 PM

No, I would never get a very expensive TOY for my kids especially one that needs daily care. How is she going to pay for all the expenses?
If she wants one she can earn the money to pay for it and continue working to pay for its up keep.

Its a good lesson in life that all kids should learn, If you want something you need to work for it. The responsibility of taking care of it will mean more if she has to earn the money to buy it.

My 2 boys wanted a snowmobile, I could easily afford it, we had the land to drive it on. I told them no, if you want one work and save for it.
That was the end of it, they never bothered to do the work.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:06 PM

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Good balance on that horse and rider, cutting.

My father and I raised King, Poco , Peppy and Steel horses . Went on to compete in the AQHA Congress. He roped, bulldogged, and I ran barrels.
As mentioned, proper training in safety for me all growing up, gave myself, and all kids, or adults, many hours of fun with no serious incidents.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:11 PM

I think they earn it one way or another, https://www.quarterhorsenews.com/tag/tulsa-beck/

From this experience to being in the last year of earning her doctorate in chiropractic medicine for both horses and people the work was there where or not dad paid for that first bronc.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:25 PM

Very nice archival write-up. The perfect shot every cutter wants to get.

You both can be proud.

That name Jet. I had a Jet horse too, out of Jet Deck. He was a good one.

Nowadays you hear lots of Lena and Metallic Cat lines, but they all go to the foundations.

Tulsa also went on to make her horse events pay . Even to benefit people. Good deal.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:35 PM

just like a dog you may get a really good one or a really bad one either way it will be something she will remember the rest of her life i bet sharon remembers her first horse

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 05:55 PM

Wow 3 pages.. well to answer a few questions she's 12, more responsible than most adults, hard working, we don't have a horse trailer but we have trails for miles right out of the back door, and I would probably forget about the steers. As far as I'm concerned I'm not to worried about the injury aspect. She could get on a four wheel and hurt herself just as bad or a bicycle for that matter.
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:06 PM

[video:google]https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmRbrty6E2x4MHYF8[/video] I was told every little girl needs a horse. Be prepared to spend money lol but money can buy happiness. Just buy the girl a horse make her happy, be the coolest dad ever. I couldn't say no, to daughter or the wife lol

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:12 PM

Dstone get her a horse , take your time and get her a good one. Enroll her in 4h and start her showing or doing gymkhanas. Trail rides are fun but she'll grow board by herself with out friends that can ride with her. This is where a trailer comes into play. No reason to not get a steer or 2 you'll have somebody to feed them when they feed their horse lol.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:31 PM

Horses are built to part the owner from his/her money but if it keeps your daughter happy and down a straight and narrow road it is a small price to pay in the long run.
Posted By: white17

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:32 PM

What more evidence do you need ?

Maybe your daughter will become a famous artist too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:35 PM

Sure, get her a horse. It's not my money. smile
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
That's what I'm talkin' about.

Good balance on that horse and rider, cutting.

My father and I raised King, Poco , Peppy and Steel horses . Went on to compete in the AQHA Congress. He roped, bulldogged, and I ran barrels.
As mentioned, proper training in safety for me all growing up, gave myself, and all kids, or adults, many hours of fun with no serious incidents.

I have a mare that's from Pocos lines, Great horse.

Am I the only one who dislikes mules? I see the suggestions in the thread but I'm not sure ide take one if someone paid me.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:42 PM

No Donner your not alone. They have their place but they are not a horse. I've seen some good ones but they are harder to find than a good horse and if ones being honest they are just ugly. grin
Have heard they make even better bait than horse but can't say for sure because I haven't got my hands on one yet. Only one in the neighborhood gets might spooky in the dark and I haven't been able to catch it yet.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 06:57 PM

Everyone of my kids got a gun and a horse before they were 10 and a stick shift for they’re first truck.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 07:02 PM

My grandpa broke horses for a living for over 50 years, and he always told me when you’re dealing with horses it’s not a question of IF you’ll get hurt, the question is when and how bad.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by white17
What more evidence do you need ?

Maybe your daughter will become a famous artist too.

[Linked Image]

grin I was JUST thinking of that photo.

That was my first horse , a small horse, barely at the hands he needed to be qualified, and not a large pony. He was quick as could be and could turn faster , rollback faster than many big horses.

Donners., Poco Bueno was among the foundation stock that made the AQHA what it is, along with others. I sure like them, and when I do see the old bulldog body and neck shape these days, it takes me right back to that line.

Look.

Anything in life has its risk.

Motorcycles have that same saying, "its not if, but when" ...so do 4 wheelers, and wait.....what about vechiles ?? smile Who stops driving, or never lets the kids ever drive them in life ? Same for tractors and farm equipment.

Like with all the above, taking lessons or instruction from a qualified adult can troubleshoot a lot of accidents. A lot.

I've had some decent spills . I haven't broken one bone , but have been bruised from head to toe on one side, and one spill I do feel I should have been severely injured, but was not.

Yes there are serious injuries , even death on all these moving entities . We try our best to troubleshoot most of them and be as careful as possible.

If you never want kids to move in the air, enjoy some speed, learn good hand/eye/body coordination, with the gravity of life, then don't let them do anything that is risky. Although we all did ourselves, and survived.

Of course the choice is up to parents.

One thing....if a child is truly, really into a subject, and only they know , can feel that it is in their blood to enjoy, telling them no will make for a slow boil of resentment over time. To find out which type they are, have them take lessons and or work on a ranch or boarding barn , as others have mentioned. If it's in their blood, they'll do anything to enjoy the sport.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:03 PM

I guess I'm going to have to move putting up some new fence up the priority list and start shopping. I have a line for lessons for my boys. If they take to it I will buy some horses and a trailer.

Everyone hear I'd such an enabling bad influence. Well at least the ones I have come to respect. Jbyrd63 is right you can get hurt but you can get hurt doing anything. My wife has a ton of scars from getting through into a barb wire fence. Didn't stop her from riding. My first son was killed in a car wreck when a guy ran a red light but I still drive with my kids.

Everything in life has risk everything fun has more. You can't live your life wrapped in bubble wrap. Jbyrd63 thinks it's a bad idea so it must be a good idea. Any doubt look at his opponents on gun control should tell you to do the opposite of what he thinks.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:14 PM

Are you really going to make your decision based on a poll on a social media site? My parents bought a horse for my niece. When my Dad retired he spent a lot of time talking to that horse. Lol

He was happy with his decision.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:15 PM

grin What Jbyrd63 also doesn't realize, is that those "old timers" who "broke" horses for years, long ago, did it all the hard way. No wonder they got dinged up.

Horse TRAINING has come a long way since those old bronc busters.

I grew up in that same world, though some were beginning to understand how to reason with animals and not demand they obey, lose patience and try to force them.

The known trainers now can make a safe horse who WANTS to trust and do what they are asked faster than the old tie em up and throw em into a running W ever did. And what's better, those horses like human company, are not spoiled, and won't end up hurting you when they see the situation isn't what they trust.

There's a reason most "bronk busters" don't like mules. They won't take no mess. They are much as we are...do we subject ourselves to something we don't understand at the demand of someone who threatens to whip us if we don't ? That's why you don't see mules rode as bucking stock in rodeos. They are worse than bulls at calculated revenge. A good mule is worth their weight in gold, and it isn't because they've been manhandled into submission.

So those old times who say it's a matter of when they are severely hurt, it's no wonder, to me. There's a lot more under the surface to understand with that saying, and who's saying it the most.

I guarantee the million dollar syndicated show horses are never "broke" that old way.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:23 PM

Jbyrd63 needs to stick to the stock market. He is much bettah in that .... though I still say he should take a ride in a pony ring . He would have a blast grin

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:40 PM

Amazing how horse lovers say yes! Yes ! Yes !
Others say nope too much money and going to get hurt ! Lol

Horse lovers have inside knowledge and personal experience the naysayers don't.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:46 PM

Quick story....My wife always wanted a horse, when our daughter was around 12 We finally got one for her, but not after some extensive lessons not only on riding but horse care, she had an "interesting" list of trainers, from dressage, pro racing folks and Manny, lol, the biggest character of all. We ended up at Manny's barn cause there isn't the land available thats affordable here, but it was a better situation, Manny was also a horse dealer, when he realized my daughter was good with the horses he'd tell her, go get that new chestnut and find out whats wrong with him and fix it...and she did. Fixed them and moved on to the next. In the meantime she showed western pleasure and gymkana, till she went to college. Then it all stopped and guess who got to take care of the horse.

Fast forward 22 years, Shes now 41, a private school teacher in Texas, never married and no children and got the horse bug again, she joined 40 something cowgirl association and now has like minded friends that trail ride, and just hang out with...Shes's a good horsewoman and she's happy. In fact she just got back from Iceland where they rode those viking horses all week all over the island.

So, all that to say this, Horses were good for her, but it took some time to get back to it. Sharon, her horse was out of the Barr, and tuff cat line....
Posted By: Posco

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 08:46 PM

My inner cowboy says yes and I don't know how to ride. Make her dream come true, buy her one.
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:11 PM

The novelty of a horse wears off fast when she realizes how much work they are. Unless she has someone to go riding with it will be boring for her. But by that time she will be attached to it and won't let you get rid of it. So Dad, have fun feeding it every day, cleaning stalls, and paying for the feed, vet, farrier, etc. Speaking from experience here.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:21 PM

Hey Sharon, I thought that was you that rode by my place just last week,
Here is my thoughts and experiences with horses.
1 Get a short one, the fall don't hurt so much.
2 Get a slow one, same as above.
3 Get one with bad teeth, when they bite you in the shoulder it won't hurt as bad.
4 Buy enough property to keep one (80 acres or so should be enough)
5 They really don't eat that much, a big round bale will last a week or so.
6 Go to the bank and get a bucket of quarters, Go to Wal-Mart and spend them on that little guy that goes round and round by the entrance.

Zim

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:21 PM

My decision has been made. For the record someone asked if I would make my decision based off a social media post the answer is no. I'm not basing my decision off of this but there was alot of good info to be had from it. I actually already have a horse lined up it's been lined up I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. My friends girl friend is going to pick him up tomorrow and keep him for a while and ride him to make sure he's the right one for my daughter. Thanks for everyone's input.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:25 PM

PICS of when the big day happens.

Take a deep seat a deep breath and pray!

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:39 PM

Excellent point. Now do you go with the armchair quarterbacks or the ones with real experience?? I'll share a little story with u. Few years ago I was in to see the Dr. He's been a small town rural Dr for his whole life. Probably in his upper 60s. In the conversation I mentioned I'd been doctoring a lot of cattle out on grass that year. He asks if I'm doing it horseback or on a four wheeler. I answer horseback expecting a lecture on the dangers of horses. Instead he says good, I've treated way more guys that get hurt working cattle on four wheelers than horses.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
My decision has been made. For the record someone asked if I would make my decision based off a social media post the answer is no. I'm not basing my decision off of this but there was alot of good info to be had from it. I actually already have a horse lined up it's been lined up I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. My friends girl friend is going to pick him up tomorrow and keep him for a while and ride him to make sure he's the right one for my daughter. Thanks for everyone's input.

Good job dad.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 09:56 PM

Horses and AR's may be a lot the same in that regard, people with no clue about both say nope.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:03 PM

When did the world begin living in so much fear of getting hurt? I've never read books or heard stories told about the guy who played it safe and never took a risk. Life is meant to live not to hide from. Ever wonder why we have so much mental illness?
Posted By: run

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:10 PM

Excellent point. Now do you go with the armchair quarterbacks or the ones with real experience?? I'll share a little story with u. Few years ago I was in to see the Dr. He's been a small town rural Dr for his whole life. Probably in his upper 60s. In the conversation I mentioned I'd been doctoring a lot of cattle out on grass that year. He asks if I'm doing it horseback or on a four wheeler. I answer horseback expecting a lecture on the dangers of horses. Instead he says good, I've treated way more guys that get hurt working cattle on four wheelers than horses. [/quote]
Interesting.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:14 PM

I smell money burning!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
I smell money burning!

If you trap you burn it too, lol.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:19 PM

"It ain't dying I'm talking, it's living"
Augustus McRae

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
Hey Sharon, I thought that was you that rode by my place just last week,
Here is my thoughts and experiences with horses.
1 Get a short one, the fall don't hurt so much.
2 Get a slow one, same as above.
3 Get one with bad teeth, when they bite you in the shoulder it won't hurt as bad.
4 Buy enough property to keep one (80 acres or so should be enough)
5 They really don't eat that much, a big round bale will last a week or so.
6 Go to the bank and get a bucket of quarters, Go to Wal-Mart and spend them on that little guy that goes round and round by the entrance.

Zim

grin There's truth to a lot of that, Zim ! I too have liked those Quarter horses at Wal Mart !

For those who have had not the best experience, they think that is the way it is for everyone. That once the novelty wears off- all is lost . Nothing is further from the truth, and cannot speak for everyone. I can throw a stick and hit people who grew up loving the sport, spending days, months of time alone enjoying their mounts when no one else was around to be with them.

While that can and does speak for some's experience with their kids, it in no way represents us all. I was one of those kids too. Even into adulthood, I spent I don't know how many months alone exercising endurance horses and mules, spending hours on the loop trails at a trot and gallop. And in the arena , honing dressage moves, barrels, jumping, getting a string of polo horses in ripped shape for the owner to event them in season.

While I love riding with others, I spend equal time alone working maneuvers.

I do, however strongly urge kids and inexperienced riders to always head out into the bush with someone to ride along. It is safer.

GCS, that Barr line, going to 3 Bars, is a popular one too.

Dstone, you didn't just get rookie advice here. That's the wonder of Tman , there are such an amazing amount of talented people from all walks and talents of life, to give good sound advice. You can tell the ones who know ...

Have fun with daughter and her excitement about life. Even if she changes in interest eventually, the respect and love she gains for you wanting to try with her, will never be forgotten.

That is worth all the hay Zim can buy . smile

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 10:56 PM

One thing I do not agree with is buy a 100% broke, wore out horse. If you get a kid a weanling and they want to ride, when It is old enough to ride they will be able too. All it takes is a slow every day game. They will have a horse that they can grow up with. Having a horse is a process for a kid, buying the process will not teach them a thing. If they do not want to put in the time, they do not want a horse. I am just speaking from my experience with my daughter. I grew up around horses, but I never wanted or owned one. She is a good rider and understands horses. But that came from messing with them, not buying a broke one. She would even go to horse sales and get paid to ride horses in to the ring.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 11:03 PM

The best horse to get a young trapping lady comes in pint to gallon size containers. I kind of like Clete's horse meat bait, but other bait and lure makers sell horse too. grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 11:05 PM

I say, buy that girl two! That horse is gonna need a herd mate.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/23/22 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I say, buy that girl two! That horse is gonna need a herd mate.

Winner winner and then you have a mount to ride along with her. I can't think of a better way to spend time together. Mjm has a point. When I started th hores had to be feed in a small yard and eventually we got her locked in before she could bolt back out in the field. My cousin and I broke her with no experience. We mad a lot of mistakes but in the end you could shoot of her back.

My daughter always says she would rather have a mule but since she is 20 and going to school has limited time.

The direction the country is heading you may be very happy to have horses. There is no other way to go from point a to b cross country without a trail and gas beside on foot.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:04 AM

Get the horse. We have 6 at the moment . I can not remember a time that I have not had at least 1.
Better to be at the corral tending a horse than laying in bed playing on a phone or tablet.
Young kids need to be raised outside .
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:13 AM

I grew up with a horse. When I finally got tired of riding by myself and wanted to start going places with it my Dad got rid of it. Later on when I bought my own place I bought a 13 year old Appaloosa who had done it all. She taught me how to really ride, we barrel raced and pole bended 2 to three days a week for years. She was my best friend and I cried like a little baby when she had to be put down at the age of 27.

Horses are great for kids just be prepared for the expense and responsibility that comes with it. There are days that I really wish I still had horses, but I just don't have time for them at this point. One thing is for sure, if I ever end up having kids they will grow up with horses.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:16 AM

They ain't nothing better than a good horse or mule, and nothing worse than a bad one.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
One thing I do not agree with is buy a 100% broke, wore out horse. If you get a kid a weanling and they want to ride, when It is old enough to ride they will be able too. All it takes is a slow every day game. They will have a horse that they can grow up with. Having a horse is a process for a kid, buying the process will not teach them a thing. If they do not want to put in the time, they do not want a horse. I am just speaking from my experience with my daughter. I grew up around horses, but I never wanted or owned one. She is a good rider and understands horses. But that came from messing with them, not buying a broke one. She would even go to horse sales and get paid to ride horses in to the ring.

Worst advice posted , get a broke horse that won't hurt or scare your daughter. Would you send her to school if the teacher was the same grade?
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:19 AM

Hayburner....and extra diesel costs to haul him around. A horse is a money pit!

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
grin What Jbyrd63 also doesn't realize, is that those "old timers" who "broke" horses for years, long ago, did it all the hard way. No wonder they got dinged up.

Horse TRAINING has come a long way since those old bronc busters.

I grew up in that same world, though some were beginning to understand how to reason with animals and not demand they obey, lose patience and try to force them.

The known trainers now can make a safe horse who WANTS to trust and do what they are asked faster than the old tie em up and throw em into a running W ever did. And what's better, those horses like human company, are not spoiled, and won't end up hurting you when they see the situation isn't what they trust.

There's a reason most "bronk busters" don't like mules. They won't take no mess. They are much as we are...do we subject ourselves to something we don't understand at the demand of someone who threatens to whip us if we don't ? That's why you don't see mules rode as bucking stock in rodeos. They are worse than bulls at calculated revenge. A good mule is worth their weight in gold, and it isn't because they've been manhandled into submission.

So those old times who say it's a matter of when they are severely hurt, it's no wonder, to me. There's a lot more under the surface to understand with that saying, and who's saying it the most.

I guarantee the million dollar syndicated show horses are never "broke" that old way.

That was true of grandpa in his younger years. He spent years of cinching down a saddle and climbing on and ridin em till they quit buckin and spurrin em till they just couldn’t buck anymore. He was dang good at it too. Took a lot of spills though, and when he started getting older and things hurt more he learned to TRAIN horses. By the time I was born he could have a horse broke to ride without ever stepping in a stirrup. Grandpa was one of those trainers that could tell you exactly what a horse was about to do, how it felt, if it was healthy, it’s current mood, just by it’s body language, and communicate back with the horse through his own body language.

My aunt likes to tell a story about grandpa riding a green colt through a gate, and some hay fell between the gate and fence so it wouldn’t shut. She went to get off her horse and move it but grandpa stopped her, rode the colt up and used his body language to get the colt to stick it’s right front foot out, put it down on the far side of the hay, then drag it back out of the way. That’s the kind of trainer he was, it’s almost like he could talk to them.

Once he put an ad in the paper that he could break anything on four legs to ride or pull a cart. Some guys thought they’d be funny and brought him a big ol Brahma bull. Within a week it was broke to ride. They were so impressed that they gave him the bull, and he used it on weekends at rodeos in his rodeo clown act. Said he tried gathering cattle on it but it kept trying to mount the cows.

So yes Sharon I understand the difference between breaking and training a horse, and so did grandpa
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 12:51 AM

It sounds like I'm a little late to this dance and you're about to make a young lady very happy? My daughter is now 17 and I think she's had her own horses since about 10. I can't even tell you how good they have been for my daughter. It's been a lot of work for me but I wouldn't have it any other way. My advice, as others have voiced, is get a really well broke horse for a first horse. Something pretty bomb proof that you and your daughter can trust with your daughters well being. She'll enjoy it more. Good luck! If you're not a horseperson, it's really good for her to have a knowledgeable mentor nearby.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 01:20 AM

A friend sent me this…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 01:39 AM

How old is she? Make darn sure she knows to NOT walk up behind a horse when it don't own she's there. A neighbor did when he was two and his left side was paralyzed the rest of his life.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 03:16 AM

Why not? You have 4 acres of pasture which should give you half or more the forage you need for a horse and a couple of beef feeders for meat. There are a multitude of valuable lessons for a person to learn when working with, managing and caring for animals. If it does not work out and the horse is sold etc. there are life lessons there as well.

Bryce

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 03:45 AM

some of us have good memories and some have bad neither has been forgotten and theres a lot of funny stories to be told years after the fact
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 04:21 AM

So… I started riding horses 50 years ago. Rode them again in college bringing cows in to be bred.

Fast forward many years. while bringing my 16 year old daughter to her friends house for a few days, I asked her what they had planned. “Riding horses” she replied. I tried to give her some pointers about riding and being around livestock, but she wasn’t listening.

Two hours later, I got a call from the emergency room. My daughter had a broken arm. I learned her friend had set up a perfect scenario for this disaster by giving my daughter an empty pail after catching the first horse. My daughter was quickly surrounded by the rest of the horses trying to get into the bucket. They knocked my daughter down and stepped on her arm breaking it. I was (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)!!!

I lectured her all the way home about how you can drop the pail, wack the horse with the bucket, use the lead road to move them back, etc etc. Never get between large animals, fence etc.

My daughter ended up with an 8” plate in her arm. As a parent, I felt bad, but she never held it against her friend.

When I wanted to get into golfing, my brother advised me to buy cheap clubs and spend money on lessons. The lady that stood my stallion would only train horses if she could train the owner too. Suggesting lessons this summer would be awesome. My cousin offers riding lessons in MN.

The cheapest part of owning a horse is buying it. Grass hay is running $11 bale plus grain. Horses need almost 3% of their body weight in hay per day. Hay is cut in different stages, mixes, etc and is hard to find. I called a hay seller recently asking if their “ quality” horse hay was tested to justify the high price and they had no clue what I was talking about. Farriers every two months. Vet bills for yearly shots, deworming, plus occasional wire cuts, etc. Any toxic weeds in your pasture?

I’m not against buying horses, but you will do most of the work for an animal that has a lifespan of up to 40 years. I strongly suggest your daughter take lessons and/or work for someone that has horses. My cousin learned this way and rode her horse to a ROM in reining competition.

You will need to buy a saddle that’s fits the horse. $1,000? Learn to saddle your own horse! Another story!

You have to take drivers Ed and pass a test before getting you driver’s license. Like cars, people are always selling the bad ones. Riding with my boss one time when he tells me the horse i was riding broke his leg! Great! Wasn’t much longer and she stumbled and fell to her knees. I didn’t come off, but slamming into the saddle horn wasn’t fun!

Lots to think about! Good luck!

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 01:14 PM

same as hunting fishing and trapping can cost a lot to do some do them some dont and some do them all plus ride and own horses let the memories and stories last a life time
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992

Awesome
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 09:30 PM

I am glad you made the decision that you did. I am a firm believer in the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.
I wish I had the know how of a lot of people that have advised you on this thread. But I have enjoyed reading their comments. Maybe I will have enough experience one of these days.

This is a picture from my younger days when we rounded up the second week of October and cut out the babies, separated the colts from the fillies, culled some of the mares and turned them back out. Breaking of the colts was done when they were two and three year olds. This particular year I had 60 colts to break. The way was more or less in our blood as my great grandfather started raising horses in 1876 to sell mainly to the government and at his brother's livery stable.

I hope your daughter and you find the journey rewarding.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 10:29 PM

Draft Horses usually make for a calmer Horse.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 06/24/22 10:33 PM

For everyone that talks about how much it cost to keep a Horse for a year, the cost to feed , take care of and house a Horse for a year; is WAY LESS than it costs to raise one CHILD for a full year !!

Facts:

In year 2021, it costs more than $14,800 a year per child

The cost to raise a Horse per year averages $3,876 per horse,

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 02:32 PM

Today is the day! The horse we got her is showing up this afternoon. She still has no idea what is happening I keep telling her to save her money and one day we'll get it figured out. The Horse seems really solid I don't ride horses and I have rode this one twice and it goes wherever i point it. I'll try to get some pictures and post them up.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 02:42 PM

grin

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
For everyone that talks about how much it cost to keep a Horse for a year, the cost to feed , take care of and house a Horse for a year; is WAY LESS than it costs to raise one CHILD for a full year !!

Facts:

In year 2021, it costs more than $14,800 a year per child

The cost to raise a Horse per year averages $3,876 per horse,

Didn't they add the horse cost in with the child cost? If not they overlooked an important expense of raising a child. All children need a horse.

I think that horse cost is quite high myself.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Draft Horses usually make for a calmer Horse.

They eat more and poop more to. The older I get the more a lowered saddle looks better. I always wanted some drafts though.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 02:51 PM

Definitely need pictures, I bet she going crap her pants lol you'll be the cool dad for a moment, anyways! Lol
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 06:17 PM

I've literally had hundreds of horses and mules over the my lifetime, 13 years of outfitting in the Bridger Teton Wilderness accounted for the majority, sometimes as many as 60+ at once. I tended to take better care of my own personnel livestock and kept good feed and veterinarian costs, shoeing, and other maintenance bills. If you own enough land that's already got a good fence and good grass you will likely spend 4K a year taking care of that horse. And considerable effort, maybe it's worth it. Almost forgot, saddles, tack, vet equipment, all the things you will need to buy up front, like a horse trailer. Probably a better investment than a computer and electronics, for the kid.
Posted By: nute

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 06:22 PM

best thing you can do. she will remember it for ever.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 06:59 PM

I raised my son and my foster sons competing and helping the neighbors on horseback. None of them, as adults, sit around and play video games or watch anime movies LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 09:59 PM

Pictures!

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 11:13 PM

Cedar Hacker that's a very cool pic. Those kind of things are about gone.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 11:15 PM

Lefty
That's a good pic of a good horse and a good hand. Looks like he's determined to get it fished on.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/22/22 11:26 PM

Thanks and that little Palomino didn't care whether he knew how to rope yet or not, he was exactly where he needed to be to learn.

Justin was about 3 or 4 yrs older than he was and set the bar purdy high. Throw Jesse Pope, Trey Holstrom, and Cooper Martin into the mix and you had to be a hand or you would never make the pay window at all
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 03:15 PM

As an alfalfa and grass producer I’d yes. grin

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 04:21 PM

[Linked Image]
I will have to get some more pictures sent to my phone but here is one. She was up at 530 ready to ride before it got hot!
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 04:37 PM

That right there is worth everything! What a smile!
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 05:03 PM

Congrats!!

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 06:05 PM

Yes ! See that smile ?

Looks just like me when I got my first barrel horse.

Nothing better than to grow up in the country and seeing the world from the back of a horse.

Proud of you all.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/23/22 09:33 PM

Good on u.

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/24/22 06:00 PM

Her smile says it all!
Posted By: Salthunter

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/25/22 12:24 AM

Horses were a great wy to raise our daughter

A local guy wrote in his book, "Between Barbie's and babies horses are great"

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/26/22 12:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/26/22 12:50 PM

Real tough shorts and saddles never mixed for me lol. I'm glad you went through with it, yes it can be expensive but worth it

Re: Should I get my daughter a horse? poll - 07/26/22 12:53 PM

I can't look and tell like some others. What we looking at quarter horse? Walking, fox trotter. I'm about those gaited horses a lot smoother riding
© 2024 Trapperman Forums