Home

Woodworking guys...planer question.

Posted By: Posco

Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 05:59 PM

I have about seven hundred square feet of tamarack I need to get planed. The boards are 6" x 3/4" x8'. I'm looking to buy a planer and do the work myself. Do you have any recommendations on a good planer that won't break the bank?
Posted By: white17

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:02 PM

I've shoved many thousand feet through a simple DeWalt planer.

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I've shoved many thousand feet through a simple DeWalt planer.

What am I looking at for blade life, Ken? I'm greener than a pea when it comes to this stuff.

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:08 PM

Well if the wood is clean you should have no problem getting through 700 feet. Might want to buy an extra set of knives just in case something goes haywire. But, just off the top of my head I would guess that I have easily planned 3-4 thousand feet of spruce and pine without any noticeable effect on the blades. You can also resharpen them pretty easily

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Well if the wood is clean you should have no problem getting through 700 feet. Might want to buy an extra set of knives just in case something goes haywire. But, just off the top of my head I would guess that I have easily planned 3-4 thousand feet of spruce and pine without any noticeable effect on the blades. You can also resharpen them pretty easily

Appreciate it. Thank you.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:14 PM

I used a DeWalt lunch box planer for decades before I upgraded. And they used to come with a spare set of knives, I don’t know if they still do.

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:16 PM

I think that's right Lug. I have had mine since the late 90's so I can't recall if it came with the extra blades or not.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:31 PM

I have a 12" Delta. It has held up to everything but nails. mad
If you have a disk sander with a guide, sharpening is rather easily.
A little cheaper than a DeWalt.

Save the shaving for the furshed floor
Posted By: warrior

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:45 PM

Just be aware that you are more subject to snipe with the little bench top planers so be attentive to not trying to hog off to much in one pass. Also good infeed and outfield tables help as well.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 06:57 PM

I have a Dewalt. I've had it for about 20 years now. It's done thousands upon thousands of board feet.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 07:01 PM

X2 that on the infeed and outfeed.. you can get some rollers pretty cheap and fab your own, not hard and it will help a bunch.
Posted By: 2zwudz

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 07:12 PM

I like my DeWalt planer!

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the inputs, fellas. I found a Dewalt 735X new and unused for $550. I'm gonna snag it.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 08:32 PM

what ya doing with the boards?

Be aware that planing only makes the boards parallel top and bottom. If the boards have warp and twist it'll still be there after your done.

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
what ya doing with the boards?

Be aware that planing only makes the boards parallel top and bottom. If the boards have warp and twist it'll still be there after your done.

Flooring for my cabin.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
I have about seven hundred square feet of tamarack I need to get planed. The boards are 6" x 3/4" x8'. I'm looking to buy a planer and do the work myself. Do you have any recommendations on a good planer that won't break the bank?

If you have a Home Depot near you, check out the Ridgid Planer, or the Ryobi. I had an old Ryobi Ap-12 Planer, and must have put over 4000 Board Feet of Lumber through that Planer. Just needed to replace the blades when they got dull.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 06/23/22 10:34 PM

Grizzly Industrial has a big sale on tools right now.

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 07/01/22 09:24 PM

How big a generator to drive a planer?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Woodworking guys...planer question. - 07/01/22 11:50 PM

How has the work being doing ?
if you can tell which way the tree grew it helps with planing tamarack, usually do the edging and this will tell you with the sound of the planer humming
watch because the pitch of the wood will gum thing up, so every 10 boards put another soft wood through
What is the moisture content, because of after planing the wood may move some more.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums