Home

Duke #1.5 video

Posted By: Coon Duke

Duke #1.5 video - 06/23/22 08:10 PM

https://youtu.be/-qssbB1xDwE
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/23/22 08:40 PM

Very informative, and always felt the Duke 1.5 was the best in Duke's line...

Seems like the double jaw variety is all the craze these last few years, but I make out just fine
with the single jaw for less $$.

I really liked the bent lever mod, great stuff!

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/23/22 09:31 PM

I can’t take credit for it as I saw it in a Johnny Thorpe video. I started doing it though as it seems to help stabilize the trap whether bedding in dirt, surface bedding, or blind setting in water on a hard surface.

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/23/22 10:20 PM

Thorpe was a thinker, I believe those bent jaw tips could also aid in breaking through the trap covering of a trap bedded below surface... Adding the dual advantage of a reduced resistance lever, plus the added stabilization from the bent down lever tips.

Many other great tips in that vid Coon Duke, thanks for your contributions here on T-Man!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/24/22 12:21 AM

Evening Todd and Michael....around here in our cold weather those lever tips MIGHT FREEZE DOWN. But a guy could spray some anti freeze where the lever tips made contact with the ground. I’m sure Thorpe’s weather was just as cold as ours so maybe not a big deal. Just thinking out loud here guys.
And Todd ....another good informative video.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/24/22 12:58 AM

Very interesting video. Thanks!

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/24/22 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Evening Todd and Michael....around here in our cold weather those lever tips MIGHT FREEZE DOWN. But a guy could spray some anti freeze where the lever tips made contact with the ground. I’m sure Thorpe’s weather was just as cold as ours so maybe not a big deal. Just thinking out loud here guys.
And Todd ....another good informative video.

Evening Mike,

Great line of thought, freezing could possibly be an issue...Think I'll try some bent levers out this season, but the winters here generally wouldn't compare to yours and Todd's.

Re: Duke #1.5 video - 06/24/22 01:43 AM

When making surface type sets I try to avoid setting on bare ground. A little bit of grass or debris under the levers (and trap) helps to let it break free.

You see in the vid how I push the “foot” on the trap in the sod. This can be a freezing point but I never had too much trouble having the animals pull it free. Obviously in solid frozen ground you can push it in anyway.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums