Home

Looking for recommendations

Posted By: Del Gue

Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:02 AM

Hi all, I’ve asked the same question various ways to various people, but I haven’t gotten any definitive answers yet… I want to get the best “do it all” traps. I’ve been thinking of getting 110’s for my muskrat and mink duties, but i was wondering if there’s something small enough for mink and skrats, yet big enough to hold a coon should it happen? Also what other traps can I use for multi-faceted purposes? Any input is appreciated, God bless!
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:06 AM

coon, mink and rats = 1.5 coil spring..
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701

X2
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by grumley701

X2

Yup
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:24 AM

A 160 sized bodygripper would catch and hold all three as well.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
A 160 sized bodygripper would catch and hold all three as well.

True dat...

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 03:44 AM

That’s exactly what I was wondering, thank you!

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 03:45 AM

Thanks for the answers everyone, 1.5 coil springs and 160 body grippers it’ll be. If I can add a secondary question, do you prefer rat traps or #0 long springs for weasel boxes?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 03:54 AM

Well If I were to pick a coil spring trap It would be a #2 or a 1.75 sized trap That sized trap will hold otter and coyotes and fox+ rats mink and coon. It's a heavier trap which will help in drowning mink and rat sized critters. And It also gets a higher catch on the leg.

The 160 BG would be my choice for coon rats and mink.
Posted By: MTNMAN71

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 03:55 AM

Rat Traps. Dispatches the catch!!! Fast and effective
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Del Gue
Thanks for the answers everyone, 1.5 coil springs and 160 body grippers it’ll be. If I can add a secondary question, do you prefer rat traps or #0 long springs for weasel boxes?

Just remember that the 160's need to be in water to be legal in Ohio.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 04:12 AM

#155 is also a good choice for coon too. In weasel boxes rat traps with the big yellow pans or 1 1/2 LS. The 1 1/2 LS is also a great choice for mink trapping with it's light pan tension
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 04:30 AM

I do love my 160's --even work well on nutria - which I had doubts about. Even picked up an otter.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 11:02 AM

0s will work I used them for years but moved to 1 1/2s which will also work for all the other animals you listed

If using coil springs it helps to disconnect one spring, easy enough to do then just reconnect it when trapping something else
Posted By: FarmerDan

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 11:59 AM

Anymore my favorite muskrat trap is a single spring 160. Love the extra size compared to a 110. The springs are not hard to pop on and off.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 02:12 PM

a good 1.5 coil will catch many species....

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

Just remember that the 160's need to be in water to be legal in Ohio.

Good catch, hadn’t even thought to look into it yet. Ohios trap laws are odd.

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife

0s will work I used them for years but moved to 1 1/2s which will also work for all the other animals you listed

If using coil springs it helps to disconnect one spring, easy enough to do then just reconnect it when trapping something else

Does the 1.5 not squish weasel’s?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 05:06 PM

If I can add a secondary question, do you prefer rat traps or #0 long springs for weasel boxes?
Rat traps in a box or milk carton.[Linked Image]

Posted By: nightlife

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 06:55 PM

[/quote]

Does the 1.5 not squish weasel’s? [/quote]

No more then say a conni will a mink or rat
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Well If I were to pick a coil spring trap It would be a #2 or a 1.75 sized trap That sized trap will hold otter and coyotes and fox+ rats mink and coon. It's a heavier trap which will help in drowning mink and rat sized critters. And It also gets a higher catch on the leg.

The 160 BG would be my choice for coon rats and mink.

#2 you get more chew outs or twist the front feet off a rat. IF you don't drown it quick.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 07:19 PM

They arent that hard, they just arent explained well in the booklet. If you come up to the NTA convention next month or the state convention in Caldwell in September, we can talk you through them pretty easy.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/24/22 07:34 PM

A larger trap gets a lot higher hold on a rat then lets say a 1 1/2. Some times It's a catch as high as the shoulder. And the larger trap takes a rat down right know.
My go to mink trap was the old #2 square jawed Vic.

I use to use 1 1/2s on my stools and floats but I watched too many rats swim back and get back up on that float or stool. That won't happen with a 1.75 or #2 sized trap.

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/25/22 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

They arent that hard, they just arent explained well in the booklet. If you come up to the NTA convention next month or the state convention in Caldwell in September, we can talk you through them pretty easy.

I’m going to be there on Saturday!

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/25/22 01:23 AM

A larger trap gets a lot higher hold on a rat then lets say a 1 1/2. Some times It's a catch as high as the shoulder. And the larger trap takes a rat down right know.

I use to use 1 1/2s on my stools and floats but I watched too many rats swim back and get back up on that float or stool. That won't happen with a 1.75 or #2 sized trap.

Guess I’m definitely not getting #1s like I had planned… starting to think I’m going to get a compilation of the cheapest traps at nta and hope I strike gold 🤣🤦‍♂️
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/25/22 01:58 AM

Guess I’m definitely not getting #1s like I had planned… starting to think I’m going to get a compilation of the cheapest traps at nta and hope I strike gold 🤣🤦‍♂️

If at all possible, try to get there on Friday. By Saturday it's half over with many tailgaters and even dealers already gone.
Posted By: run

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/25/22 02:01 AM

Sleepy creek are my favorite trap. I don't know where to buy them. My local trapper supply phased out of them.

Re: Looking for recommendations - 06/27/22 09:39 PM

Friday it’ll be!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums