Home

Photo Phriday 47

Posted By: Gulo

Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 01:47 PM

It's that time of year again when I spend an inordinate amount of time catching and measuring snakes (2 or 3 hours every day). To me, very fascinating critters.

[Linked Image]
Prairie rattlesnake, Crotalus viridis. Compared to other places, we don't have BIG rattlesnakes. A 4-footer here is monstrous.

[Linked Image]
Bullsnakes, aka Pine snakes, aka gophersnakes, aka Pituophis catenifer are nonvenomous, but can still make you bleed.

[Linked Image]
Racers, Coluber constrictor, are another nonvenomous snake. This is an adult.

[Linked Image]
The only snake we have that looks entirely different than the adults in their first year of life is the racer. This is a youngster.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 02:30 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 02:32 PM

Snakes have beautiful markings. Though I'm always glad there are no poisonous ones in the NW here. Unlike FLA, where I was in constant watch as I traversed the outback.

Always like the racers, and cant forget the rubber boas !
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 02:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Laying on the 16th green at the Sinking Valley golf course here in Pa. last week

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 02:54 PM

[Linked Image]
For your viewing pleasure
Posted By: MJM

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 03:54 PM

Kevin, did you put that where it didn't belong? A 50/50 mix glycerin/alcohol over night on a piece of gauze in a baggie over night would have been a real plus on that.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Ran a hot paper clip through the nail. Instant relief

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:07 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:08 PM

Gulo, what is the difference between a prairie rattlesnake and a western rattlesnake. I heard prairies are only found in Lemhi County in Idaho.

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:09 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:50 PM

I’m very thankful I don’t have to deal with snakes around here. Mosquitoes and poison ivy are the problems of summer lol.

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 04:57 PM

[Linked Image]
Hand to hand on my porch in a stack of wood

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 05:05 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 08:24 PM

My niece sent me this picture of a sunset taken right after a recent storm. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 08:57 PM

Just another day in paradise.

[Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Gulo, what is the difference between a prairie rattlesnake and a western rattlesnake. I heard prairies are only found in Lemhi County in Idaho.

Grandpa -

The systematics of most all western snakes, rattlesnakes in particular, is in a great state of flux. Talk with ten different herpetologists, and you'll probably get ten different answers. Most "experts" now agree that Idaho has two different rattlesnakes; the prairie (Crotalus viridis) in Lemhi and Custer Counties only. Down in your country, as well as the rest of the state, has Pacific rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus). The real expert in the genus, Lowell Diller, unfortunately, passed away a few years back. He thought that there were actually three rattlesnakes, the prairie (Crotalus viridis), the northern Pacific (Crotalus oreganus), and the Great Basin Rattlesnake (Crotalus lutosus). I am personally a lumper, and I say they should all be C. viridis, with perhaps some subspecies (not full species), as they all seem to interbreed and produce fertile offspring. Who knows for real. They'll be changing the names forever, I suspect.

Jack
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/24/22 11:42 PM

Saw this beauty the other day and helped him get out of traffic. It was a tough decision to have a belt made or help him. The belt maker I called had over 300 ahead of me, so it got a pass.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 12:03 AM

Cousin brought 2 for me to tan. Male and female (darker one). She had a dozen little ones in her. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Will clean up the young tomorrow to make it more clearer.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

Grandpa -

The systematics of most all western snakes, rattlesnakes in particular, is in a great state of flux. Talk with ten different herpetologists, and you'll probably get ten different answers. Most "experts" now agree that Idaho has two different rattlesnakes; the prairie (Crotalus viridis) in Lemhi and Custer Counties only. Down in your country, as well as the rest of the state, has Pacific rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus). The real expert in the genus, Lowell Diller, unfortunately, passed away a few years back. He thought that there were actually three rattlesnakes, the prairie (Crotalus viridis), the northern Pacific (Crotalus oreganus), and the Great Basin Rattlesnake (Crotalus lutosus). I am personally a lumper, and I say they should all be C. viridis, with perhaps some subspecies (not full species), as they all seem to interbreed and produce fertile offspring. Who knows for real. They'll be changing the names forever, I suspect.

Jack

Interesting
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Saw this beauty the other day and helped him get out of traffic. It was a tough decision to have a belt made or help him. The belt maker I called had over 300 ahead of me, so it got a pass.
[Linked Image]

Prettiest snake in my opinion!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
[Linked Image]

Prettiest snake in my opinion!

Yes sir. I give Cottonmouths a close second. Still waiting for just the right one to take. We only see Copperheads in one section on this property and they cross the road with a 75 yard area. It seems plantations are a breeding ground for Cottonmouths too. See probably 10+ for every one of any other snake. You’d think with all the Gopher dens that we’d have more rattlesnakes, but we don’t.

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 06:57 PM

Hanger - You get those neonate snakes cleaned up? I'd sure like to see another picture of the little guys. Thanx.

Jack
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Photo Phriday 47 - 06/25/22 09:34 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums