Home

Fun workout

Posted By: k snow

Fun workout - 06/25/22 07:57 PM

I have decided to up my weightlifting game and have started training in strongman events. I'll be competing in my first event the end of July, as a lightweight novice. This morning we practiced for the truck pull. Thirty six thousand pound fire engine from the Sheboygan fire department. I pulled it 50 feet in 53 seconds. What an awesome way to train. Picture is me pulling, a coworker motivating me and the coach is in blue.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 08:34 PM

Nice.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 09:56 PM

You need to have those buck skin pants on…during the event !
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 09:58 PM

Nice, one of my sons competes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
You need to have those buck skin pants on…during the event !

I don't want to have to re sew all the seams I'd blow out.

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 10:03 PM

DaveP, very cool. I was never in any athletics in high school or college, and didn't really find weightlifting until I was 40. No way ill ever be very competitive at my height (5'8"), weight or age. But its a blast. Next weekend we will be training the atlas stones and beer keg clean and press.

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
DaveP, very cool. I was never in any athletics in high school or college, and didn't really find weightlifting until I was 40. No way ill ever be very competitive at my height (5'8"), weight or age. But its a blast. Next weekend we will be training the atlas stones and beer keg clean and press.

Oh, he's been ate up.with lifting since 12 years old or so.
Hit a 500# DL at 14.
Got bored with same 3 lifts a few years back and moved into strongman.
That is pic was the FIRST time he'd ever touched stones or log press, had a lot of technique to learn.
You can see he went a little high with that stone, lol.

Doing great at them now, but has never handled a keg, but ran into an older lifter at a 100% RAW event a few weeks back who is local and used to run strongman events. Told him to.come by and train with his crew, to esp.kegs.

Same guy walked up.to.him at a meet when he was 13 or 14, while he was " warming up" and said, " Son, you are a natural born bull, but you are also an idiot! You will kill yourself lifting like that!"

Then recommended some local.folks to train with.

Strongman folks are incredibly helpful
Had a guy about 50 there with his son, who gave him wraps for his forearms for stones and gave him some advice.
Invited him to train with them too.

It is FUNCTIONAL strength!

Glad you are enjoying it. I'm back to.hitting the weights some but I'm pretty broken up.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 11:05 PM

Cool stuff you guys.
I unknowingly got into the sport by heating my home with fire wood.

Zim

Re: Fun workout - 06/25/22 11:59 PM

Strongmen are great people. We all root and cheer for each other, even though we are competing against each other.

DaveP, your kid is doing great. Technique will help him lift more and avoid injury. The sport is growing by leaps and bounds right now. I'm 44, so injury prevention is very important to me. I am in it for fun and to stay motivated to stay in shape.

Re: Fun workout - 06/26/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
Cool stuff you guys.

Zim

I hear that!
I Tom Sawyered him and my youngest into seeing who.could split 10 rounds quicker.
" Too close to call, better try again".

Then, "I'll go get pizza if you stack it".

Works every time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Fun workout - 06/26/22 12:17 AM

Good one Zim. grin

Re: Fun workout - 06/26/22 12:22 AM

Strongmen are great people. We all root and cheer for each other, even though we are competing against each other.

DaveP, your kid is doing great. Technique will help him lift more and avoid injury. The sport is growing by leaps and bounds right now. I'm 44, so injury prevention is very important to me. I am in it for fun and to stay motivated to stay in shape.

Too late. He had shoulder surgery at 18, hip at 19.
Good since and way stronger now.

His coach is 64.
Can't do much but bench anymore, but ripped off 20 reps at 220 AFTER they finished training.
And we met a 80 yo Israeli man at 100% RAW World's some years back who was still competing and still strong.

Lot of guys peak around your age!

ETA
We drove up Appleton some years back for HS Nationals, beautiful country.
But COLD!

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 03:56 PM

Here's a link to my second attempt. Much better time than my first try.

Truck Pull
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 04:32 PM

hey if you want to come train with me I have a LOT of rounds you can carry out and put on the trailer should really help with those stones

I know Zim is only sort of Joking , you move a lot of rounds often and you find some young guy who things he is strong and he can't hardly budge a round you lift and toss on a trailer or in a truck

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
hey if you want to come train with me I have a LOT of rounds you can carry out and put on the trailer should really help with those stones

I know Zim is only sort of Joking , you move a lot of rounds often and you find some young guy who things he is strong and he can't hardly budge a round you lift and toss on a trailer or in a truck

I've moved plenty of rounds, but I know what you mean. There is a difference between gym strong and functional strong. To me, that is the appeal of strongman, you are actually moving things, not just lifting weights. The comp I am doing the end of July has a loading medley, truck pull, atlas stones, squat for reps and an overhead keg press.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 05:02 PM

I've moved plenty of rounds, but I know what you mean. There is a difference between gym strong and functional strong. To me, that is the appeal of strongman, you are actually moving things, not just lifting weights. The comp I am doing the end of July has a loading medley, truck pull, atlas stones, squat for reps and an overhead keg press.

construction outfit I worked for back in the early 90s did some work for MR.T the actor from the A-Team , Mr.T tried out the 90 pound air hammer and proceeded to bury 2 bits so the wirey little guy had to dig them out and keep busting up the concrete.
the boss went in the house with MR T , to see his weights , it was mostly low weight HIGH reps to get the "look"

they got some great pictures that used to hang in the office.

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 05:18 PM

As one strongman said during an interview, "six-pack abs don't mean you are strong, they mean you don't eat enough."
Posted By: Coonman300

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 05:22 PM

I never thought I’d have of ended up being the guy to get up at 5 o’clock every morning and lifting weights. Turns out I was right. Lol
Good for you though!!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:01 PM

My knees hurt just looking at the pics!
Glad y’all are staying fit

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:14 PM

Truck Pull

Wow, strong work!

Loved the, " You're half way there, why quit now?"

THAT is motivation.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:15 PM

Outfreakingstanding!! Great work man!! That’s awesome. Way to take it to the next level.

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:19 PM

I used to bury some gym rats at work, even at twice their age.
They'd be give out after a few hours.

My son used to be incredibly strong, for short bursts, when he only powerlifted.
Strongman training is MUCH more functional strength.

But at 300#, he still gives out before my old 230 carcass, lol, at least as far as working hard for long periods.
Posted By: run

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
Cool stuff you guys.

Zim

I agree.

Re: Fun workout - 06/27/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Truck Pull

Wow, strong work!

Loved the, " You're half way there, why quit now?"

THAT is motivation.

That'd be Tyson. He's a PE teacher and played football and wrestled in high school and college. He is good at motivation.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums