Home

What's the best Victor style wood rat trap

Posted By: Catch22

What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 08:15 PM

For the guys who use them for rats, weasels, chipmunks and such, what is the best model? The strongest and most durable. Thanks!
Posted By: run

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 08:31 PM

Whatever is readily available locally for you is what I would run with.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by run
Whatever is readily available locally for you is what I would run with.

I can get both the metal pan and plastic yellow pan Victors for about 2 bucks each. I'm not sure which one is better and maybe there might be another one out there that's good.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 09:09 PM

This may not help you but ive caught probably 10 gallons of packrats and the best trap I've found for the job is my bridger #3s. Lightly cover with ground duff and sprinkle some grain on the pan. An exposed victor rat trap seems to scare them and ive tried them many different ways. I've got probably 5 dozen of the Victor wooden yellow pan rat traps.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
This may not help you but ive caught probably 10 gallons of packrats and the best trap I've found for the job is my bridger #3s. Lightly cover with ground duff and sprinkle some grain on the pan. An exposed victor rat trap seems to scare them and ive tried them many different ways. I've got probably 5 dozen of the Victor wooden yellow pan rat traps.

Wow, I would have thought the jaws would go over them. Pretty cool!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 09:21 PM

Caught many incidentals cat trapping then when I wanted some for bait I used them. A friend wanted a bunch so I got all geared up bought a bunch of the wooden traps and built a ton of cubby boxes couldn't hardly catch a rat. Removed the lid and end piece with the hole and caught a few. Then went back to the #3s and started catching them. I think those pack rats are as paranoid as coyotes. I can handle getting schooled by a coyote once in awhile but an over grown mouse almost made need counseling.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 09:56 PM

For the Victor's, the plastic yellow pan is better..
Posted By: warrior

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 10:06 PM

The big yellow pan hands down.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/25/22 10:13 PM

The metal pans and something super sticky that they have to work to get. Just had a packrat issue here and also used those self setting black snap traps with success
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 01:05 AM

Yellow pan!

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 01:12 AM

I can't find a yellow pan trap locally for a reasonable price. I will keep looking.
Posted By: eric space

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 03:10 AM

To juice them up enough to knock a gray squirrel crazy and put a definite dead on smaller stuff like weasels, red squirrels and large rats, lift the back of the spring's tail and place a thin wooden shim under them. If I get a chance tomorrow I will post a picture of what I mean.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by eric space
To juice them up enough to knock a gray squirrel crazy and put a definite dead on smaller stuff like weasels, red squirrels and large rats, lift the back of the spring's tail and place a thin wooden shim under them. If I get a chance tomorrow I will post a picture of what I mean.

Thanks Eric!
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 04:46 AM

The large, plastic yellow pan, no doubt.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 11:55 AM

Yellow pan it is. Thanks everyone!!
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 12:44 PM

i like that #3 bridger idea, think i got a few smart ones around here that are yellow pan shy. gonna give it a whirl. thanks

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by run
I can't find a yellow pan trap locally for a reasonable price. I will keep looking.

Amazon
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
For the guys who use them for rats, weasels, chipmunks and such, what is the best model? The strongest and most durable. Thanks!

M.T.P. at the top of the page has them for $24 for a Dozen. smile
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 02:38 PM

There's some for sale in the trapshed right now but it doesn't say what kind of pan they have.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
There's some for sale in the trapshed right now but it doesn't say what kind of pan they have.

Thanks! I'll look for them. I found them for 30 bucks shipped for a dz.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 06:12 PM

Plastic yellow trigger ones for me.

However , I wish they made an upgraded pro version with a better quality wood base. Every once in a while when the trap goes off it breaks the wood making it a pile of scrap. I would pay more for better wood.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar

However , I wish they made an upgraded pro version with a better quality wood base. Every once in a while when the trap goes off it breaks the wood making it a pile of scrap. I would pay more for better wood.

Agreed, that and better staples. I've had spring pressure pop staples loose also making them scrap.

Actually I would like a thinner base if possible. I do alot of pure blind sets trapping rats and low profile would help.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 07:33 PM

Trapping has roots in tradition and history. Made with steel and wood(for rats and mice). I ain’t buying anything with plastic.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/26/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Cragar

Agreed, that and better staples. I've had spring pressure pop staples loose also making them scrap.

Actually I would like a thinner base if possible. I do alot of pure blind sets trapping rats and low profile would help.

I hear ya on the staples. They need improvement too.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/27/22 11:53 AM

I actually prefer the steel pans. You can modify them to make them more sensitive. Just my 2 cents.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/27/22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by run
I actually prefer the steel pans. You can modify them to make them more sensitive. Just my 2 cents.

You adjust the dog on the yellow pans.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/27/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by run
Make your own pans for standard rat traps using corrugated plastic (political signs): [Linked Image]

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/27/22 03:25 PM

Pretty cool tomcat.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/27/22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Originally Posted by run
Make your own pans for standaed rat traps using corrugated plastic (political signs): [Linked Image]

Thank you, sir.

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/28/22 12:21 AM

Here is a pic of the wood shim spring booster on a rat trap. The one pictured is about 1/8 inch thick. Thicker shims will drastically increase the amount of pressure needed to fire the trap.
[Linked Image]

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/28/22 12:25 AM

Awesome, thanks Eric! You still getting after those turtles??

Re: What's the best Victor style wood rat trap - 06/28/22 12:35 AM

Hope to, season starts Friday.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums