Home

Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ??

Posted By: Tom cat

Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 12:46 AM

I started back making them after a 25 year break. I'm just curious who else on here does..
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 01:22 AM

TC, certainly no shortage of bamboo here. Nothing like a good cane in the 14 ft., range for bluegill and specks. Sarge
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 01:24 AM

Also, set lines for cats. Easy to find, cut and use.
Posted By: ack

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 02:52 AM

I've made a few from my own bamboo patch.

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 09:32 AM

I've been working with home grown bamboo. I normally cut the yellowish colored canes and give them time to dry so to speak. Any trys or luck with Making 2 pieces??
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 11:01 AM

We don't have bamboo up here where I live, but we do use cane poles. I have 2 piece cane poles that are 50 years old. We use them on spawning bluegills, then at night all summer catching bullheads off the end of our dock. Probably easier with casting rods, but a Coleman lantern and cane poles baited with nightcrawlers or dead minnows is how we've done it as long as I can remember.
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 12:29 PM

I just made a couple for two of my Nephews (4 and 5 years old ) . I have a small patch of cane in the side yard that I planted 15 or so years ago . They only get about 12 feet tall , but make a fine pole for the Young ones . I think there is no better way to get a small kid started . No back lash , No hooking someone on the cast . Swing it out , lift back the fish. Doesn't get any easier than that . They will make good use of the poles either off the dock or from the boat in their Grandpa's lake .Can't wait to hear the story when the first big bass beats the bluegills to the bait .
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 02:26 PM

Back in the day, they used to sell cane poles at the hardware store. One piece......came with a piece of line, stick bobber and a hook. Later on......that became two piece rod........which could come apart on you. If you were smart, you rigged the line to come down to terminate 4 or 5 feet above the base. When I was about 5 or so......was fishing for bluegill and hooked a big bass instead. I was losing the battle, so my mother took over and before it was all said and done........fish had snapped that cane pole. She still got it in to the bank as line had been terminated near the base.

My guess is cheap snoopy zebco knockoffs are what kids are forced to use these days. What a shame.

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/26/22 06:44 PM

I was introduced to cane poles by my dad.. he an old lews cane pole. It was stained red from the factory.. sadly it gave up the ghost while fighting a big catfish in.... but I was then taught how to make 1 piece poles.. pretty dang cool for young man of 8... lol.. 33 years later and I've stepped up to making 2 and 3 piece poles.. I use braided masonary line as my fail safe top to bottom connection.

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 12:29 AM

Out of all the people on here... 6 is it ??? Really?? Lol
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 12:46 AM

I use the cheap two piece ones. Really like a good cane pole.
Posted By: cattails

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 12:52 AM

One time I was in Alabama doing a little jug fishing for catfish. My father n law cut apiece of cane , rigged it up, stuck it in the ground. I wasn't too impressed. The next morning he had about a 4 lb catfish.
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 01:02 AM

No bamboo around here….. I do use a two piece bamboo pole and also own a couple of telescoping rods made out of fiberglass—my guess and way

Tons of fun
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 01:16 AM

Caught my first fish on a cane pole at age 5. It was a 5# channel cat out of a small dugout pond near Superior, NE. I'm 52 years old now and I still remember that few minutes of my childhood. About the only memory of those days in my mind. I can't remember using a cane pole since, but it does make me want to give it another go.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 02:06 AM

Cane poles sorta went by the wayside with the advent of telescoping fiberglass poles.
Much easier to transport and store, and you can get them in any size you want.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 03:06 AM

I have used cane poles for jigger pole fishing for bass

Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Cane poles sorta went by the wayside with the advent of telescoping fiberglass poles.
Much easier to transport and store, and you can get them in any size you want.

This. Learned to fish with a cane pole. Better options now.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/27/22 11:19 AM

My GGF used to take me fishing and we always used cane poles. 2 friends 2 cane poles and not a care in the world. Those were good times. Great memories

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 06/28/22 01:03 AM

I've got a telescoping fiber glass it works just fine.. I guess I'm just kinda hard headed.. but old school is good school..

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 11:06 AM

Any one else wanna chime in ?? Seems like there's a good bit of experience on here..
Posted By: jk

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 01:19 PM

Jerry Zeidler Memorial Cane Pole Derby

The 2022 Cane Pole Derby will be held on Monday, May 30th, at Rose Valley Lake (SOUTH access area). Last year 98 kids participated! The purpose of the derby is to provide kids with an opportunity to enjoy and appreciate the natural resources of the Watershed. The kids have a chance to compete for awards for the largest fish, the most fish caught, and the most trash gathered. Tackle/ bait are provided and many prizes are awarded. Every year local artist Ron Beach designs a patch to commemorate the Derby and each participant will receive a patch. Collectors can purchase the current patch plus patches from previous years. 17 years running so far.......jk
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 02:21 PM

I do,my sons first fish was on a cane pole made from my neighbors bamboo
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 02:28 PM

I had access to endless cane poles in Arkansas when I trapped there years back. Don't have cane around our area in Pa.

I thought I would bring some poles back then but always was busy moving along to check and set more traps. Once I stopped traveling down that way I often wished I had brought some good poles back home to work on.
Posted By: kansaskoons

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 03:38 PM

My family uses cane poles to snag bull frogs under the chin.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/04/22 03:47 PM

Never used one, or actually saw one until recently. I was on an interstate down here and drove by this old car on the side of the road. There was an old black lady, sitting in a lawn chair by a kind of a small creek. She had a big hat on and a dress and was holding a big cane pole. She looked like she was on her way home from church and stopped to pick up some dinner. For this northern guy, it was a pretty cool sight. I wish I'd stopped to visit. She's probably been stopping there for years.

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/06/22 01:21 AM

Ttt
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/06/22 01:32 AM

I have about 2 doz 17-20 ft bamboo poles in the barn I cut for that reason, but haven't done anything with them yet.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/06/22 03:42 PM

There is a lake nearby my place that is loaded with northern pike, a lot of little ones, but some bigger ones too. My neighbor trolls for them with long cane poles and daredevils.
I asked him if he was concerned that a good sized northern might break the pole?
He said if we hook a big one, we let the pole go and chase it with the boat until the fish tires.
It sounded like a blast to me.
Posted By: foxhunter17

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/07/22 04:51 AM

never used them for fishing but they make dandy trap stakes for muskrat trapping in a cattail slough.

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/07/22 11:16 PM

I was always taught to use run of the mill bamboo and they have always worked just fine..

Has anyone ever tried tonkin cane ?? It's what bamboo fly rods are made of..

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/07/22 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
Never used one, or actually saw one until recently. I was on an interstate down here and drove by this old car on the side of the road. There was an old black lady, sitting in a lawn chair by a kind of a small creek. She had a big hat on and a dress and was holding a big cane pole. She looked like she was on her way home from church and stopped to pick up some dinner. For this northern guy, it was a pretty cool sight. I wish I'd stopped to visit. She's probably been stopping there for years.

I highly recommend trying one... make your own though.. it's way cooler to catch your supper with a cane pole that you hand made..

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/07/22 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C

Would you explain that to me please??
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/08/22 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tom cat
Originally Posted by SGT. C

Would you explain that to me please??

Just with bamboo instead of fiberglass or PVC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Who makes and uses cane poles for bream fishing ?? - 07/08/22 10:13 AM

I caught my first fish a " goldeye " when I was 5 years old with a store bought cane pole my grandpa used a cane pole also from time to time . The closest I have now are bamboo fly rods .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums