Home

Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 03:24 AM

My Wife and I are selling a few cows to buy a fishing boat

I'd like to travel North to Lake County and look for a Good used fishing boat.

Is that a dealership?
Private party?
Online?
Open to suggestions

Thanks, Scott
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 04:24 AM

Anywhere you can find it is where you buy it in this market. What your looking for and price range would help narrow it down immensely.

Used boats the engine is the most valuable part. So look for a reliable engine first, and let the rest of the package fall into place.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 04:33 AM

Private party. Dealerships are looking for a profit.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 06:50 AM

If you have Facebook use marketplace, it’s great around here. Keep an eye out and be ready to run to one with cash when it’s posted
Posted By: otter3006

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 08:19 AM

Buy snow machines in the summer and boats on a nasty winter day for best deals

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by otter3006
Buy snow machines in the summer and boats on a nasty winter day for best deals

After the motor issues on our first boat my wifey wants to test one out before buying. That might or might not happen.

Mike Kelly,

We're going to spend 7k to 8k only
We want a deep V boat for bigger waters and a reliable motor .25hp to 75hp 14.5 to 18'

I don't want a flashy ski package or my 4 adult kids will want me to tube ....And I don't need that.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 09:59 AM

330, tons of used boats here in NY, people can't afford the gas to haul to lake of fill up the motor.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 11:21 AM

Deep V or not, a 18 foot boat is not for big water. Try to find a boat that has either a Yamaha or Szuki four smoke hanging of the back. If you want one out of aluminimum make sure its of the elder sort.
Posted By: charles

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 11:28 AM

Mike Kelley told you best.

The best bost I ever had was one I bought from an older gentleman who had suffered a stroke. He had taken very good care of the boat. It was in perfect condition.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 11:37 AM

Best way to buy anything used is to buy from somebody you know. that aint always possible so sometimes its like poker. you bet a bunch on three of a kind only to see when the cards get layed out your opponent has a flush. Sometimes you also get lucky and its only a varnished up carb or something the guy is selling for.
Posted By: super cub

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 12:32 PM

I bought a 21 ft north river boat several years ago with a yamaha 4 stroke. I found it on Craigslist. It was a repo the bank was selling. The motor had 8 hrs on it. Saved 12k over a new one and was 1 year old
Was still spendy but saved a lot

People bought it new made 1 payment and 4 months later the bank took it back
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 01:41 PM

If you have a Facebook keep an eye on marketplace, estate auctions can have well priced boats, be patient, be picky.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 01:45 PM

One more thing. Buy the boat with your head and not your heart. be objective on what you want and do not get side tracked. I have fixed plenty of boats for folks that got this part wrong and bought junk because of a single nice feature that clouded their mind and ended up costing them more than they bargained for.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 01:58 PM

I look at the condition of the floor and seats if they are in good condition the owner took care of it.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 02:31 PM

Walleyecentral.com classifies is good
Posted By: DWC

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 03:33 PM

For that price dont get hung up on brand. The only lund youll likely find is an 80’s mr pike, but can sometimes find awesome models someone has redone flooring on. Otherwise, look for solid boat (any brand) and a good motor. Id rather put money into modern electronics than paying up for the boat if i was on a set budget and didnt want to put money i to electronics later.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Deep V or not, a 18 foot boat is not for big water. Try to find a boat that has either a Yamaha or Szuki four smoke hanging of the back. If you want one out of aluminimum make sure its of the elder sort.

Define big water? Lake of the Woods is only a million acres, spent most of my life on it in an 18 foot or less. Sure there will be days when a bigger boat is necessary but if it's too rough for an 18-foot pro v or a warrior I don't much want to be out there anyhow.

Scott, it's a seller's market right now, 8 grand isn't a very big budget. Decent boats can be purchased for that size and horsepower will be limited unless you are willing to purchase something that is 15 to 20 years old.

Craigslist and FB marketplace is as good as anywhere to start. At least that way you can get an idea of what is out there and price range.
Posted By: keets

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 05:12 PM

check your pm
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 05:35 PM

Look for the ones with a X on the side....then you know it has been on some fish.
Avoid the Z
cause you may get a anti-ship missile launched at you on the water
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 05:38 PM

25 to 75 is a big spread.

The engine is the thing imo that will make or break your enjoyment.

If I had that budget I'd look for a 25-40 hp yamaha four stroke, on a 14-16 foot aluminum.

The boat type and style is of less importance to me than a dead reliable, easy trolling, gas sipping outboard.
Posted By: grumpa

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 05:45 PM

I'd sooner have an old hull with a new motor and new electronics . Trolling motor with spotlock is sweet.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 08:03 PM

and know that the early 4 strokers that Johnson put out were Suzuki built motors, my 2005 115 4 stroke Johnson is Suzuki built and other than new plugs every other year (because they are known to foul plug) it's been trouble free.

and also big water is relative.... Big water to me is the great lakes, to you it probably the ocean..

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/26/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Define big water? Lake of the Woods is only a million acres, spent most of my life on it in an 18 foot or less. Sure there will be days when a bigger boat is necessary but if it's too rough for an 18-foot pro v or a warrior I don't much want to be out there anyhow.

Scott, it's a seller's market right now, 8 grand isn't a very big budget. Decent boats can be purchased for that size and horsepower will be limited unless you are willing to purchase something that is 15 to 20 years old.

Craigslist and FB marketplace is as good as anywhere to start. At least that way you can get an idea of what is out there and price range.

Big water to me is Millacs. Winnie and leech type waters.

After my issues with older Johnsons and my Dad's issues with his merc. I'm leary

Well try to be patient. But reliable and dependable is the major focus

40hp would be the low end . A Yamaha or Suzuki, Honda is my first choice

Re: Best Way to buy a Reliable fishing boat - 06/27/22 03:05 AM

One more thing. Buy the boat with your head and not your heart. be objective on what you want and do not get side tracked. I have fixed plenty of boats for folks that got this part wrong and bought junk because of a single nice feature that clouded their mind and ended up costing them more than they bargained for.

Good Advice...Thanks Scuba
© 2024 Trapperman Forums