Home

Flea medicine

Posted By: Hankit

Flea medicine - 06/26/22 08:13 PM

What’s a good flea medicine for dogs? My wife’s 15lb toy poodle got em. I’m assuming from trapping season so I don’t know if he needs a one time treatment or is there something that continues to protect them? Thanks
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 08:15 PM

We use Nexguard. A bit expensive, but it works well on ticks, which I find many of them do not
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
We use Nexguard. A bit expensive, but it works well on ticks, which I find many of them do not

This ( Nexguard) is what we use on our Aussie. The cat gets a topical Cheristan (sp?).
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 09:01 PM

Frontline works good for ticks and fleas. I have also used Permethrin with good luck.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:02 PM

I use Credelio, a monthly chewable. It keeps fleas and ticks from biting my labs, works really well. I only give them a dose about every six weeks during the spring summer and fall, none in the winter.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:07 PM

You better keep them in check early on with one of the good monthly treatments.

If they get established in the yard or, God forbid, carpet you'll play hob getting them gone.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:12 PM

What your vet recommends. Either way, it's not cheap. But the alternative is worse.
Sarge
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:18 PM

My fleas are doing very well without medicine.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:19 PM

Next guard here also
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 10:29 PM

Most of your heart worm meds have flea and tick prevention as well. See if what your giving for heart worm meds doesn’t already have it.
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Flea medicine - 06/26/22 11:55 PM

Thanks. I’ll try the nexguard next time I get to town. We don’t give the dog heart worm medicine is that something most people do? We don’t have a vet in town anymore either. I grew up with mutts and never gave them anything and the 2 lasted my childhood. After having this dog for 5 months it got Parvo and almost died.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Flea medicine - 06/27/22 08:00 PM

Wash the dog with a good flea soap or Blue Dawn dish soap, then dust the dog and bedding with "Seven" dust. Sounds like it's a house dog and that gonna be another problem when the house is full of fleas.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Flea medicine - 06/27/22 08:26 PM

I use Heartguard and Nexguard for heart worm and fleas and ticks Nexguard really does a number on ticks When we where younger we never took a dog to the vet for anything Now our pets are so much a part of the house that many people have pet insurance .They have shots for rabies distemper ,parvo etc .And none of it is cheap .And people pay thousands of dollars just to get a breed they want One more way that times have changed As trappers we are doing a service to everyone by catching and removing wild animals that carry and spread those pet diseases .
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Flea medicine - 06/27/22 08:36 PM

Here we need to get the dog an Rx from the vet for heartworm meds like Heartguard or Iverhart.

Flea and tick meds are over the counter. We use Seresto collars and they work very well.

I will never let my dogs suffer with fleas again
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Flea medicine - 06/27/22 09:18 PM

look where they are breeding is the best final solution, animal dust and dander is where the larvae are breeding
otherwise you have to keep repeating the cycle
pm sent
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 12:28 AM

Aside from fleas, best & cheapest shots for dogs is Tractor supply, they have different shots that take care of Parvo & all the other nasty's dogs can catch.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 01:16 AM

our vet has sold us Vectra and it worked well , had to do the cats one time also
the dog is 8 pounds we also had a 90 pound dog as well as some 12 pound cats

spraying around the house with permethrin

have also used seresto collars they are almost no savings on the vectra
Posted By: Remington700

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 03:04 AM

Nexguard works well on fleas and ticks. I have also used Comfortis which is flea only. Both have great results.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hankit
My wife’s 15lb toy poodle got em. I’m assuming from trapping season...

During fur season, I run a Flea Trap in the fur shed... just saying
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 12:46 PM

Nexguard did not work at all.for my chihuhau mix..it's been 3 weeks since I treated him.and still.fleas all over him..I dont have fleas In The carpet or anything..

At 28.00 for the pill I'm whizzed.

I literally just.got off the phone with the vet.

They said they don't have the topical..

I called another local vet and they do have the topical so im gonna change his vet next week.

He's going back.to the topical Revolution.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 02:12 PM

The old Bayer Tree and Shrub worked great. The insecticide used is the same as Frontline (Imidicolprod) at a fraction of the cost. Bayer also owns Frontline so it recently added fertilizer to the tree and shrub making it unusable on animals. You can still find off brand Imidicolprid. I use 10cc topically per 10# of dog, put it on just like Frontline. You can also mix it and spray kennels.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Flea medicine - 06/28/22 03:45 PM

Don't use nexguard ... its not flea medicine. It will kill them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums